• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Become a Tread Lightly Tread Trainer

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have asked Jon(that guy) from those guys offroad when he will hold a trainer course? He said we need at least 5 other people wanting to participate. So I am reposting up his post from their forum in hope to gain more involvement in the tread lightly tread trainer program so we can have one scheduled.

As most of you know, I have become very active in Tread Lightly. I am not only a Tread Lightly Master trainer, but I have also now accepted a position of being the Regional Volunteer Coordinator for the Pacific Northwest. I am honored that the Tread Lightly! team has selected me for this position but honestly feel as if I have been a bit slacking in helping promote why I feel it is important for everyone to be a Tread Lightly! member.

Tread Lightly! is an organization that really does a lot of good stuff, not only in the area of 4x4, but really in the larger "out door recreation" area. They have principles that explain how to recreate out door in a responsible manner for every aspect of out door recreation from 4x4, to ATV, to hiking, horse backing, snowmobiling, camping, hunting, geo-caching and water craft. Because of the wide, and diverse audience that Tread Lightly! extends their message to, I have found that they have an ability to reach a common ground with a lot of user groups who at times have conflicting views on things. That common ground is that regardless of how we recreate in the outdoors, all of us want to be able to recreate responsibly and have access to our public lands to do so.

At times Tread Lightly! is simply seen as a group who only educates people on how to recreate but they not only do that. They also help fight to keep access open to areas. One of the many ways they do this is through the "Respected Access is Open Access" campaign that they have. This campaign was launched in September of 2009 and was designed to protect and enhance recreation access and opportunities through ethics education and stewardship programs. The goal of this campaign is to maintain and enhance access to public and private lands for expanded opportunities to enjoy outdoor recreation. The message of the campaign is simple, "Respected Access is Open Access", meaning that responsible behavior leads to continued access. This message is something that all out door enthusiasts can relate with. The hiker to OHV user, to the mountain biker, to the family out for a weekend camping trip.

In addition to campaigns and education, Tread Lightly! also has a stewardship grant process (for which we have applied). Tread Lightly! recognizes that one of the best ways to promote responsible outdoor recreation is to get recreationists involved in the stewardship of their favorite recreational areas. As such, they have Stewardship Grants that enables eligible clubs and members an opportunity for up to $500 of funding to be used for clean ups, trail maintenance, work parties and other small stewardship opportunities. This is just one of the many ways that Tread Lightly! helps not only continue to promote responsible out door recreation and access to the areas we enjoy, but is also one of the many ways that they give back to it's membership community.

Now, you may be sitting there thinking, you know this is all great, and it's really cool that they offer these campaigns and grants, but what would I as the individual member get? I'm glad you asked, because there are quite a few benefits that members are eligible for, that at times I don't think people know about. Quite honestly, I was shocked to see the benefits and wish I would have applied sooner. If I had, my membership would have paid for itself easily in the first year. How? Again, glad you asked!!

Let's talk tires for a second. Did you know that with a membership to Tread Lightly! you are eligible for a a $100 mail in rebate for a set of Goodyear Wrangler tires? Your one year membership would cost 25 bucks, you'd save 100, thats an additional 75 bucks back in to your pocket! And you did some good for the sport we love. Your membership also would make you eligible for a discount on insurance through Foremost Insurance who specialize in insuring off road vehicles.

Maybe you don't want to buy something, or maybe you don't need insurance. What about an opportunity to win stuff! We all like to win stuff! As a Tread Lightly! member you are automatically entered for a chance to win Outdoor gear 4 times a year, and I am amazed at the stuff they have given out! Cabela's gear, out door grill's, pullzall, Coleman prize package and a lot more stuff! Theres also the chance to win a set of 4 BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A tires.

OK so maybe a 100 bucks and a chance to win stuff isn't enough (but wait there's more). Maybe you need significant savings, and maybe you are in the market for a new car. How about 1% below invoice pricing on Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, and Jeep? With a 3 year membership (only 60 bucks), you would be able to get just that, 1% below dealer pricing with no hassle. Simply get your membership, log into Chrysleraffiliates.com, get your control #, go the dealership, see the invoice, get your car.

I've had a lot of fun typing this up, and while I have joked a bit in putting this together, everything I have said above is 100% true. There really are some great benefits to being part of this organization that are both intangible and tangible, and I hope that each of you reading this takes the time to either join or renew your membership. As discussed during our club meetings, I am also happy to announce that Those Guys Off Road has stepped up and is now a Club member as well. I'm really excited about this next step we have taken and am proud of the club for deciding to do so.

Here are few links to Tread Lightly! for those who want to know more about the group or sign up. If you do sign up, tell em that Jon (aka ThatGuy) sent you so they know I am doing my job
grinpimp.gif
and bump this thread to encourage others to do so.
www.treadlightly.org
www.respectedaccess.org

Membership info
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/members/Members.html

Raffle Winners
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/winners

Stewardship Grants
http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/stewardshipgrants/

One final thing, there's a lot of great organizations out there. I encourage each of you to join as many organizations as you can that helps promote responsible off roading and fights to keep land open for us to enjoy. Groups like Blue Ribbon Coalition, Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance, Oregon Off-Highway Vehicle Association, and numerous other organizations need our support to help them fight the fight on our behalf. Join as many as you can, and support all of them as much as you can.

Here is the info directly from Tread Lightly's website on the tread trainer program:

TREAD TRAINER COURSE DESCRIPTION:
Tread Lightly!®’s Tread Trainer™ course is an 8-hour course designed to provide a “crash course” on outdoor ethics focusing on motorized and mechanized or water recreation. Participation in the course qualifies individuals to present the Tread Lightly! message to others in their state or region. Participants will work with Master Trainers or Tread Lightly! staff on understanding the role outdoor ethics play in the recreation community, learn the Tread Lightly! principles of responsible recreation and be provided with the tools to conduct workshops and coordinate community outreach.

The Tread Trainer course is designed to help volunteers promote the message responsible recreation where lands and waters are protected, safety is a top priority and everyone enjoys the experience of being outdoors. The course centered on land based recreation focuses on the Tread Lightly! principles designed to minimize impacts on roads, trails and the wildlands they access.

We also offer a course centered on water-based recreation. This course looks at how waterways and surrounding lands are impacted by recreation and the Tread Lightly! principles that minimize the influences of these activities. Both courses discuss different communication strategies to spread the message in situations from one-on-one trail meetings to presentations and promotions at events.

The key to a successful workshop is to have participants that are familiar with Tread Lightly!, involved in community outreach or recreational training programs or are interested in developing a higher awareness and competency on outdoor ethics.

Click here for a Course Agenda Sample

REQUIREMENTS TO REMAIN ACTIVE AS A TREAD TRAINER:
Trainers are required to complete a minimum of one Tread Lighlty! presentation or promotion within two years to maintain program benefits.

BENEFITS:
Trainers receive 100-page manual, Tread Lightly! PowerPoint presentations and training resources on a flash drive, certificate of completion, a set of durable plastic Tread Lightly! hangtags, set of guides for responsible recreation, set of PSAs, "On the Right Trail" video, $25 annually in free education materials and an extra discount on all Tread Lightly! materials.

Trainers also receive improvements in presentation skills, networking opportunities with other agencies/organizations at the course, expertise in Tread Lightly! ethics and ways to minimize outdoor impacts when recreating, use of the display upon request, updates through a semi-annual newsletter, emails and website.

CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS:
Cancellation of registration requires 14 days written notice prior to course start date. Individuals who do not attend and fail to send written notice prior to the deadline will be charged the full registration fee. You may send a substitute to attend the course in your place. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If a course is cancelled due to insufficient registrations, tuition will be refunded. Tread Lightly! cannot be held responsible for travel costs or arrangements made by participants.

Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations or who have questions about physical access may contact the Tread Trainer program at 800-966-9900 in advance of the program.

Please let me know if any of you are interested.

Ben should have to do this to help repent for his previous transgressions.

(Wheeling illegally and cutting down trees in the burn.)

85 views and the only response is the chapter president with a freakin joke.

It's all becoming so clear to me now.....

I'm in Aaron,
Sorry its taken me so long to respond.
I have to admit, its taken me a few views to read the whole post, so some of those numbers are me.
I think this is a good idea!
Although MOST of us already practice the teachings of the Tread Lightly mantra, I think this would be another notch in the belt (so-to-speak), and a great way to support another division of the industry.
I also think this would be a great way to help re-establish the reputation of the NWC, if as many of us as possible all showed up together to do this.
Count me in..... I hope the others will follow suit.

I'm with Bronzy. It's a lot a words. Quit pouting on facebook about us. Just give us simple facts.
What, when, how much.

Need at least 3 more people to want to do this. Once there are at least 5 I can let Jon know and he can schedule a date to hold the class.

?cuanto cuesta para la clase?= How much does it cost for the class?

How can I get into a Tread Trainer class? What is the cost?
The cost ranges from no cost to $50, depending on who sponsors the course. Master Tread Trainer courses range from no cost to $75.

Back