• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac???

In your opinion how do these MTR's compare to the old style ones? Im looking for a new tire and these and the duratrac have caught my eye.

I've never driven the old ones and can't speculate or compare. My experience has been with a variety of BFG products.

I was at the local Wal-Mart today and thought they had the DuraTrac's in stock but it was another new Goodyear tire that was called the Authority, it was an aggressive AT tire. Does anyone on here run either the DuraTrac's or the Authority's, they both look like very aggressive AT tires. I'm looking for a new set of AT's. I was going to get the BFG's but might try these any reviews?

Goodyear does a lot of private label stuff for Wal-Mart. While it will have the Goodyear name on it, the tread patterns and names will be different and the warranty is only good at Wal-Mart.

I'm not making a judgment one way or another but it makes it harder to compare pricing and longevity since you don't know what the underlying technology and construction is.

Photo by IXNAYXJ
027.jpg

That's the new Kevlar MT/R, right? That's an impressive photo of the sidewall abilities of that tire. Not only is it holding against that rock...it's also support the weight of the vehicle, since it's off the ground, while doing so. Most of the weight that is normally on the tire, is on that sidewall in that shot. Impressive.

I have had the duratracs on the XJ for about 3 weeks now. All road riding.
$723 Canadian out the door, crazy cheap. These things are amazingly quiet. They replaced michelin LTX and I can't tell the difference in noise. They ride the same too.

I did yank out my close line pole and I can tell you that they start to dig holes fairly quickly. I have had BFG A/Ts before and these ride just as nice and are a good bit more aggresive, especially since they have decent lugs on the sidewall.
I will report back once I get them down a trail but it will be while.

anyone heard anything about the DuraTracs having a weak sidewall when aired down for wheeling? I've heard people say that a few places but no one has confirmed it...

anyone heard anything about the DuraTracs having a weak sidewall when aired down for wheeling? I've heard people say that a few places but no one has confirmed it...

are any AT tires really designed to be aired down? the maunfacturer would never recomend airing them down for offroad use.

i would look at the sidewall rating, for heavier loads, the sidewall rating goes up, check to see if they are c, d, or e rated

I parked my heep next to my buddies with BFG A/T's (I have run them in the past as well). As for outright aggresiveness the Duratracs win hands down. They have some pretty decent side lugs for A/Ts and the treadblocks are much larger. I have been picking up a fair number of stones as you can fit a good size litte rock in there.
When winter time hits I think the BFG's will be a good bit better but not on the trail. I will report back once I get them aired down on the trail. I am not sure how to compare sidewall strength however as my last tires were dunlop mud rovers with 2 ply sidewalls and no side lugs. I cut and scratched those and they never went flat so this must be an improvement.

dsc01400z.jpg

picture027c.jpg

I parked my heep next to my buddies with BFG A/T's (I have run them in the past as well). As for outright aggresiveness the Duratracs win hands down. They have some pretty decent side lugs for A/Ts and the treadblocks are much larger. I have been picking up a fair number of stones as you can fit a good size litte rock in there.
When winter time hits I think the BFG's will be a good bit better but not on the trail. I will report back once I get them aired down on the trail. I am not sure how to compare sidewall strength however as my last tires were dunlop mud rovers with 2 ply sidewalls and no side lugs. I cut and scratched those and they never went flat so this must be an improvement.

dsc01400z.jpg

Those center blocks look pretty close together. The wide channels are the ones along the circumference. To me it looks less aggressive than BFG AT.

Not sure what to tell you there, I orignally wanted to buy general grabber A/T's which look identical to the BFG A/T. The duratracs where such a good deal that I couldn't pass them up but I was worried about noise and wear as visually they are more aggressive and I spend 85% of my time on pavement. I wanted to setup down from a M/T. My tires are 31x10.5R15.
Here are more pics as requested.

Not sure what to tell you there, I orignally wanted to buy general grabber A/T's which look identical to the BFG A/T. The duratracs where such a good deal that I couldn't pass them up but I was worried about noise and wear as visually they are more aggressive and I spend 85% of my time on pavement. I wanted to setup down from a M/T. My tires are 31x10.5R15.
Here are more pics as requested.

OK, looks way more aggressive in that pic

are any AT tires really designed to be aired down? the maunfacturer would never recomend airing them down for offroad use.

i would look at the sidewall rating, for heavier loads, the sidewall rating goes up, check to see if they are c, d, or e rated

well i mean the BFG ATs have a 3 ply side wall, and the manufacturer advertises that, and a buddy of mine beats the crap out of his...

I haven't heard if the DuraTracs have a 3ply sidewall or what. The do seem more aggressive than the BFGs, and I'll bet they clean out better. My only concern was how they would fair aired down in the rocks (as i said before, my buddy's BFGs do great)

well i mean the BFG ATs have a 3 ply side wall, and the manufacturer advertises that, and a buddy of mine beats the crap out of his...

I haven't heard if the DuraTracs have a 3ply sidewall or what. The do seem more aggressive than the BFGs, and I'll bet they clean out better. My only concern was how they would fair aired down in the rocks (as i said before, my buddy's BFGs do great)

must be a design change with the bfgs as i always heard they had very weak sidewalls.

side wall specs should be given on the goodyear site.

it also depends on the sidewall rating, c,d, or e

i wanted these tires but i couldnt get them and ended up getting 33x12.50R15 BFGoodrich All-Terrain instead as the DuraTrac has been back ordered to July and i need tires NOW.

these tires def will be my next tires after the BFG's blows, but only if the DuraTrac still have good reviews. also another reason i went to BFG's no question as they're hardcore tried and true tire and well known. and i bought them through discounttire so im in good hand (with discounttire's road hazard coverage and free balance, repair, etcetc)

I am doing a lot of work on the rig right now so not much wheeling but I did air down once so far and went to flex it out so I could measure for bumpstops check for fender eating.
I can't tell you how thick the sidewalls are but after running dunlop mudrovers and bfg's which have no side lugs I have to think these will be tougher. The side lugs are actually a decent size and while I no idea howmuch traction they will provide they should defenitely help armor the sides compared to the treadless sidewalls of the BFG. My old mud rovers defenitely had a softer side wall as they would bulge quicker than these things.
I will post back in a couple of months once I replaced the nipples and blueing with some trail scars.

Back