• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW Bushwackers

i like the look. didnt want to wait. glad it worked out for you though sir. can you make your pictures bigger? FOR THOSE ASKING ABOUT HARDWARE AND APPLICATION, CHECK THE DARN INSTALL PDF! its got very good photos.

AND JUDGING BY THE PDF, i doubt you could fit 35s.

i went the traditional method. CONSIDERABLY more work to make look good. but a fraction of the price.
l_9202f10580bc43dca9dc374062b478d3.jpg

i think they look good but i cant see spending that kind of money on something i will rip off and/or damage on the trail.

yjnick95, What size tires do you think you need now? Would 33's fit with your 3.5" lift? Would 32's be to small still?

Anyone else have some pictures and what lift/tire setup do you have?

I am running 31's with a 3 inch lift on mine it doesn't look awful but I think it would look better with bigger tires, I think 33's would fit with no problem. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Anyone got any bigger/better pics yet, I'm aiming for 35's but I reckon these will be a real tight fit so may have to go with 33's If I fit these flares.

Cheers
Steve

Here is bigger pics. The flares are on my 97 xj with a RE 3.5 lift. The tires are 31x10.50x15 procomp extreme m/t,Wheels are Mickey Thompson signature series classic II's 15x8 with a 3-5/16 back spacing.
IMG_0156.jpg

Are than any implications on fitting these to an update model, in regards to the rear quarter panels ?.

Cheers,

If I read the BW installation guide for these new flat fenders correctly there is not nearly as much sheetmetal removed around the fender well as with the cut-out style BWs. This is especially true on the rear fender wells. BW has an installation guide with lots of picts for these fender flares posted on their website. That may answer a lot of questions.
Bushwacker (XJ) Flat Style Fender Flare - Install PDF

Correct...they do not require near the trimming that the older cut outs do. If you have already trimmed your fenders, or have used the older style cut outs previously...you WILL NOT be able to use these fenders. They retain a few of the stock mounting holes, so if you have cut these off, you are SOL!

I just helped my brother put a set on his XJ...and I'm not all that impressed with them. They seem fairly ridged when mounted, but the process to mount them is beyond frustrating. Be prepared to remove and reinstall these a few times per flare. They have on the directions a 1-3 hour install time which is complete BS!!! Also when it comes to mounting the actual flare to the mounts, have a 2nd person to help you, and find some sort of pick to use to search around for the clips. Attaching the flares to the mounting brackets was a mother fuggin pain in the A$$!

My biggest beef with these is the way they mount on the back. I realize that you're limited to options back there, but the two most vulnerable spots for impact are held onto the body with freakin plastic clips!!! Plus, on both sides, the lowest mounting point in the front of the rear wheel well, the plastic clips wouldn't even stay in the body! We ended up having to find a bolt that would thread into the hole you are required to drill. It's solid now....but that I really do not see that plastic clip holding up after a good solid smack of a rock.

Also another dumb idea ( as you will see in the pics below ) the front flares are a good 1 1/2" + wider than the rears. Not sure why they did that, but to me it looks retarded! I'm sure they did it to attempt to match up the body lines, or wheel width.....but it looks dumb and would have looked 10x better if they matched the width of the rears.

Anyways...here are some pics.

IMG00508-20100717-2045.jpg

IMG00509-20100717-2046.jpg

IMG00511-20100718-1059.jpg

IMG00510-20100718-1058.jpg

IMG00525-20100722-1016.jpg

IMG00526-20100722-1017.jpg

IMG00527-20100722-1017.jpg

For those of you who might be wondering....the Jeep has a 4.5" Rough Country lift, with 32x11.50x15 KM2's, 15x8 rims with a 4.5" backspace.

Last edited:
I've been watching this threat closely lol. Since I plan on taking the DD from 3" and 31's, to 5.5 long arm and 33's I've been really eyeing these flares up. I think they look great, however if I didn't live in NJ I wouldn't even be looking at them I would just go flareless.

From the looks of them they would be perfect for 33" tires.... What do you think Gotlift? From what you could tell do you think you would have any clearance issues running 33" tires?

I've been watching this threat closely lol. Since I plan on taking the DD from 3" and 31's, to 5.5 long arm and 33's I've been really eyeing these flares up. I think they look great, however if I didn't live in NJ I wouldn't even be looking at them I would just go flareless.

From the looks of them they would be perfect for 33" tires.... What do you think Gotlift? From what you could tell do you think you would have any clearance issues running 33" tires?

If you're planning on 5.5" of lift, you wouldn't have any issues running 33"s at all. Even with the 4.5 that's on my brothers Jeep, he'd be able to run 33"s and I doubt he would rub.

I also forgot to mention in those pics above...that picture of the drivers side rear, it is actually squatted down a little bit in the picture from having the passenger front jacked up in the air. So the rear will have more clearance than what that picture shows. Tonight it'll have the front tires put back on, so I'll get some pics of it all put back together and post them up.

Cool thanks man, I'm really going back and forth about going 5.5 or 6.5 of lift, so I'm sure they would have the clearance for 33's regardless.

If you're planning on 5.5" of lift, you wouldn't have any issues running 33"s at all. Even with the 4.5 that's on my brothers Jeep, he'd be able to run 33"s and I doubt he would rub.

I also forgot to mention in those pics above...that picture of the drivers side rear, it is actually squatted down a little bit in the picture from having the passenger front jacked up in the air. So the rear will have more clearance than what that picture shows. Tonight it'll have the front tires put back on, so I'll get some pics of it all put back together and post them up.

They look good but I just don't know how well they will hold up. Plus they should be able to go upwards a little to open up the wheelwell more.

I fit 37's under mine. On 6 inches of lift.
37s.jpg

37s2.jpg

ya... yours look good, but your roof rack is crooked. they will never last.
:rolleyes:

i ditched the idea for the cut and fold method. but i think yours look the best by far ruggy. but i thought you were running 35s? if those are 37s im impressed.

I know the cross bar is slightly askew. :flipoff:

My rear is cut and folded. I would love to be flareless but got nabbed for it once.

I run 35's on the street.

The 37's are my off road tires. They are swamper TSL's. I can't stand them on the street they are so loud and the jeep wants to go all over the road. But off road they kick butt.

you mean like this:
l_9202f10580bc43dca9dc374062b478d3.jpg

!:D!

i like flairless, but now my 31s look small. and the claws throw a ton of stuff up on the side of the jeep and often in the windows. i cant imagine how your wider tires would be. flairs like yours are in my future. and they costed you what... 1/4 of the price of the BW?

Back