• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW Bushwackers

Mine was flareless for 2 years and I loved it. But it was always a dirty ride. Even if it was just raining out, it would throw dirty water from the road all over the place.

I think I have around 100 bucks into the flares.

I know the cross bar is slightly askew. :flipoff:

My rear is cut and folded. I would love to be flareless but got nabbed for it once.

I run 35's on the street.

The 37's are my off road tires. They are swamper TSL's. I can't stand them on the street they are so loud and the jeep wants to go all over the road. But off road they kick butt.

Damn Captain that is good to know, Fitting 35's with those new flares was my original plan. I guess it's safe to say you had to modify your BW since you already cut a folded your rear huh. Think they would have enough clearance for 35's with the original mounting method? Sorry for the questions I'm really just trying to find out as much as I can. I'm planning my income tax build aready lol.

you mean like this:
l_9202f10580bc43dca9dc374062b478d3.jpg

!:D!

i like flairless, but now my 31s look small. and the claws throw a ton of stuff up on the side of the jeep and often in the windows. i cant imagine how your wider tires would be. flairs like yours are in my future. and they costed you what... 1/4 of the price of the BW?

I hear ya on that man. I have a 89 XJ with 33" boggers that is strictly for mud and water. Since it is offroad only I was thinking about going flareless... glad I didn't though. I just cut the bottom of the flares for clearance but the 12.50 boggers still throw plenty of mud over them and all over the Jeep and in the windows like you said.... even gets big ol clumps on the roof. Couldn't imagine the mess it would make with no flares lol

Wait.... Those arn't the New flat fender bushwackers?

Not on my Jeep. I made mine. The bushwhackers come all the way down to the bottom, mine only go to the body line. I did this so I can cut more when I go to bigger axles and tires.

Mine are also steel, I can stand on them. I'd like to see someone stand on a plastic bushwhacker.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look, and if they weren't so expensive, I might even get a set for the wifes jeep.

Wow I didn't even notice that lol. The best part is I've read your write up on making them like 10 times so I just put 2 and 2 together. They came out great and if I had any welding skills....or even a welder I would try that route. I'm sure they are much stronger and they look just as good, if not better lol

Not on my Jeep. I made mine. The bushwhackers come all the way down to the bottom, mine only go to the body line. I did this so I can cut more when I go to bigger axles and tires.

Mine are also steel, I can stand on them. I'd like to see someone stand on a plastic bushwhacker.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look, and if they weren't so expensive, I might even get a set for the wifes jeep.

I put my fronts on today, not many pics out there so here are mine. I run 32's at the moment but am building it up for 35's shortly and these were part of the build.

Anyway, the pics.

IMG_3279.sized.jpg

IMG_3283.sized.jpg

And with a 35 sitting in front of my 32, I'll mount it up over the weekend to get a better idea as obviously being closer to the camera it looks bigger than a 35, regardless it'll fit and with the right bumpstops it should work well :)

IMG_3290.sized.jpg

More pics tomorrow when the rear is done.

Cheers
Steve

i think fit is a relative term. looks like they will be drivable at your ride height, but i wouldnt count on them "stuffing" like your tires do now.

if i had to bed, i think your problem areas with 35s is going to be the outside edge of the tire catching the sheetmetal as you flex. especially somewhere near full lock. and on the road, watch for the tire to catch the fender right where your rock sliders are. even with 33x12.50s thats where they rubbed on my trim job. more metal needs to go, and i dont beleive these fenders flairs will do it.

but by all means, prove me wrong. you never posted your lift height and backspacing.

i think fit is a relative term. looks like they will be drivable at your ride height, but i wouldnt count on them "stuffing" like your tires do now.

if i had to bed, i think your problem areas with 35s is going to be the outside edge of the tire catching the sheetmetal as you flex. especially somewhere near full lock. and on the road, watch for the tire to catch the fender right where your rock sliders are. even with 33x12.50s thats where they rubbed on my trim job. more metal needs to go, and i dont beleive these fenders flairs will do it.

but by all means, prove me wrong. you never posted your lift height and backspacing.

The pics were more to show the tyre fits in the hole.

Anyway, I'm running 5.5" of lift with control arm drop brackets. My plan is to limit up travel with the required bumpstops, so whatever keeps 35's out of the flares, and go for more down travel as in the pics the arms still had a lot of droop left in them with shocks limiting it at the moment. Once I limit the uptravel I'll go for longer shocks and get as much droop as I can to get my flex back.

Also bear in mind that the pic with the 35 is not very accurate, the top of the tyre is at least 1.5" higher in the guards than if it was mounted as it is just sitting on the ground in front of the 32. I'm also not sure if it's where it would be when bolted up, which I'll do today :)

I hope I can get these to work with 35's as we are very restricted in what we can do down here and the neater it looks and the less attention it attracts the better off I am. Thats one of the reasons I bought a flare instead of making something, for that finished look. I considered the cut out bushwackers but they just look huge and don't work well with the snorkel and a snorkel is a must for outback touring especially when I head North into tropical areas.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Haven't seen these in person but I'm thinking I would be more concerned about the rear. Might want to take a shot of that as well, don't forget to share ;)

Please tell me bw pulled their heads out and are now offering these in singles or even pairs...

$150 a corner seems steep. their normally 400 or 450 for the entire set. that would mean a set would be 600. that would be ridiculous to offer something more than their already high priced flares

These flares look pretty good, but I hate how aftermarket flares always have the body line in them so there is really only one height you can mount them. I know this is unavoidable, but I have my fenders cut up higher than these flares could mount, so no way I could put them on. Would be nice to have a set of fenders to throw on for the street and take off for wheeling.

Back