• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Aussie Locker installed in a Chrysler 8.25

I just installed an Aussie in my d30 and it took 4 1/2 prep to clean up. I had to take the carrier out to get the lock pin out so the pinion pin would come out, not to include the disc brakes off and 3 bolts ea to slide the axle shafts out 3 inches. Then the pinion pin would not slide out easy. I took a brass punch and a hammer and taped it out. All in all it was easy, cheap, and well worth it. It was also the first time I had done anything to the inside of an axle. Also in the directions it talks about how to make a tool to get the C clips out. Very good directions is you have some mech skills and a haynes/chilton.

I just installed an Aussie in my d30 and it took 4 1/2 prep to clean up. I had to take the carrier out to get the lock pin out so the pinion pin would come out, not to include the disc brakes off and 3 bolts ea to slide the axle shafts out 3 inches. Then the pinion pin would not slide out easy. I took a brass punch and a hammer and taped it out. All in all it was easy, cheap, and well worth it. It was also the first time I had done anything to the inside of an axle. Also in the directions it talks about how to make a tool to get the C clips out. Very good directions is you have some mech skills and a haynes/chilton.

Thats your front diff ;) This is for the rear. The front is much more of a PITA than the rear (especially on mine, the hubs did NOT want to come loose, even using the bolt half in trick)

I'm off to the garage to start the install, 10 bucks says im back with a question before I finish :huh:

:wave:

ok in right in the middle of the install, everythings out and now im putting it all back together. Thrust washers are out and on the right ends etc etc...need to know a couple things:

Can the c clips go in incorrectly (they are scored differently on each side) and im sure I will have a question about the locker...the pictures make zero sense...and ive done this twice on front diffs :)

You guys were right on with the c clips...just wiggle the axle when they are facing down until ya hear em go "cling"

Also...the spacers face open end in, correct? so they sit in the groove in the axle gear? the instructions dont make any sense when it comes to the direction you place them.

I got em in just fine. Thankya!

Now if I had the bolts for my ruffstuff diff cover I could button this thing up and drive it (They worked there way outta the box in transit, damn!)

Ill post some pics once everythings done to clear some things up for people in the future.

Very easy install!

After reading this post the other night, I ordered mine. Its on the way and should be here early next week. Thanks for the post, it definitely convinced me to go with it, I'll update when I get it in or if I've got Q's along the way.

3471467543_d3fe89607b_b.jpg

C Clips

3471460849_95b88c4d78_b.jpg
Before

3472270096_484d0872bd_b.jpg

After

3471468931_4c09e2be45_b.jpg
Fun with springs...use a big screwdriver to get them started, and then a smaller one to pop them over the "nipple" - I used vaseline to hold everything together, works as well as axle grease when you forget to buy axle grease :)

I see most of the guys running these with 33's, I wonder how it would hold up to 35's? I don't plan on wheeling hard on mine because I'm on stock shafts. I wonder if the aussie would serve me well? It's either that or a true trac.

Driving impressions: On dry pavement, it chirps the inside tire if I give it a little too much gas, but other than that, its just clicking around corners.

I can hear it load/unload when I come off the gas in a straight line, sounds like a mild thunk (like driveline bind but even quieter)...I'm assuming it will go away with time.

Cant wait to try it offroad!

Will PM as well but did you replace the side gear thrust washers and cross pin? Mine are pretty worn and was just going to replace spider gears when that repair seemed like an invitation to the locker. Going on a daily driver so hoping the road manners are manageable, including in snow. Thanks.

I reused my stock thrust washers and cross pin.

The road manners are very manageable, I think its completely blown out of proportion. Mine doesn't "load up" and then release....ever. I get a mild chirp on the inside tire around tight slow corners when I give it too much gas.

If I have any problems in the wet or snow ill report back, but I doubt I will, I tend to keep off the gas unless im wheeling :)

i've just got lock-right for mine that fits, track-lok case,
what a waste of money was limitied slip,
so I guess i just pull clutches and installed locker

also I've got 4.56 gears so do I need to pull carrier out, cause
I dont really want to grind gears

thanks

i've just got lock-right for mine that fits, track-lok case,
what a waste of money was limitied slip,
so I guess i just pull clutches and installed locker

also I've got 4.56 gears so do I need to pull carrier out, cause
I dont really want to grind gears

thanks
No you can't just pull the clutches out, you need to get a whole new carrier.

I don't know about the lock rite, but there is a powertrax noslip for the powerlock LSD diff. So he is kinda right.

Just installed Aussie's front and rear. Front Dana 30 took considerably longer than the rear 8.25. Front is quiet as a church mouse, however I have had a couple nasty "clunk" noises coming from the back a couple times while wheeling. Yesterday I noticed NO odd noises, just normal ratcheting.
Price was $570 shipped for BOTH lockers.
Went on a rock run here in Arizona called Wood Pecker yesterday. Performance was AMAZING. Will now climb anything my huevos will let it climb.

I know this is an old thread, but it's the most relevant. I have this locker, and I'm planning to install it in March at my club's wrenchaton. I want to get all the things I'll need together beforehand. The instructions talk about checking certain parts for wear, and if needed, replacing them. My question is which parts these are, and whether I can order them separately. If they're cheap enough, I might just order them to have them on hand at the install.
Thanks!

I always order up some new thrust washers from the dealership. If u don't need them return them. They cone in a bunch of different thicknesses. You can also order a new cross shaft pin as well.

Bumpin this cuz i got a question. In the pictures it says to remove the spiders and you won't be using the washers but then it shows a picture of the aussie parts and washers. The side washers are being re-used right?

15. Install Aussie locker side gears with the thrust washers from the stock gears. Install spacers and new pinion shaft (you do not need to install roll pin at this point). Using a feeler gage measure the clearance between the pinion gear and spacers. The clearance should be between .006” and .020”.

Back