• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Aussie Locker installed in a Chrysler 8.25

given the popularity of the aussie locker, im guessing i am over estimating how harsh it is, am i right?

yep, over estimating.

Yea, I was surprised to find out that I didn't need to pull the carrier. That made it nice, and quick

I would really like to talk to the engineers about the tool that you're instructed to make out of a coat hanger. It just doesn't make any darn sense. I literally spent 30 minutes trying to find a metal coat hanger, making the tool and reading the instructions over and over.

I am looking forward to adding the aussie in the front. Just waiting for gas to come down a bit more so my wife will start driving her super duty again. Then I can switch the the other XJ fo DD and tear in. I'd really like to go ahead and replace the unti bearings, shaft joints, and ball joints all at once,,, then done for a while.

:conceited

When you do the front, watch your bearing caps. there's letters stamped on them and then a letter stamped on the housing. That shows the orientation of the cap. One letter is upright the other is at 90 degrees and they match the housing. You'll need to do the 30 out of the jeep, just shove a rag in the gears and turn the pinion and the carrier will roll out. Use like a rubber mallet, or a plastic deadblow to get it back in. Also, mark the ring gear orientaion to the carrier before you pull it.

ill be swappin in a new8.25 for now that will be open again...but holding onto this one for re-gear and locker
..id ont know much about axles...but is there a certain "size to strength" relation...as in can this locker only ahndle certain size tires or will it be fine for just about anything...
ill be using 29 spline and probable 4.56 or 4.88 gears....wanting to go 35's....
aussie seems like great deal...just dont know if it can take large tires?

Usually it's the shafts and ring gear that limit your tire size. MikeG runs an aussie with 35's in the front, and he's running an 8.8" rear. I'm eventually going to 35's but I'm running a 44 rear. The encyclopedia puts the 8.25 at a recommended max of 33" tires with 29 splines shafts. I know a few guys running 35's but they have aftemarket shafts.

Yeah, getting chromo shafts and selection of parts is an issue. That's why I like the D44. :)

Usually it's the shafts and ring gear that limit your tire size. MikeG runs an aussie with 35's in the front, and he's running an 8.8" rear. I'm eventually going to 35's but I'm running a 44 rear. The encyclopedia puts the 8.25 at a recommended max of 33" tires with 29 splines shafts. I know a few guys running 35's but they have aftemarket shafts.

Not entirely true, I know a guy who runs a welded 8.25 29 spline with a Atlas and a stupidly low gear ratio on 35's and flogs his axle without problems. There are exceptions to every axle rule but the late model 8.25 is by no means as weak as some make it out to be.

-Alex

Not entirely true, I know a guy who runs a welded 8.25 29 spline with a Atlas and a stupidly low gear ratio on 35's and flogs his axle without problems. There are exceptions to every axle rule but the late model 8.25 is by no means as weak as some make it out to be.

-Alex

No it's not, and if I had one in my jeep to begin with I'd probably still be running it. Mine came with a 35, which I had to give away to get rid of. :) Lots of guys running 35's with the 8.25, but "recommended" max tire size is 33's. I've also snapped a stock 30 spline D44 shaft on 33's, which is also supposed to live. I'm a big fan of alloy shafts now with alloy usa's front and rear. :)

ill be swappin in a new8.25 for now that will be open again...but holding onto this one for re-gear and locker
..id ont know much about axles...but is there a certain "size to strength" relation...as in can this locker only ahndle certain size tires or will it be fine for just about anything...
ill be using 29 spline and probable 4.56 or 4.88 gears....wanting to go 35's....
aussie seems like great deal...just dont know if it can take large tires?

There are no tire size limits on the Aussie Locker. You may use whatever tires you wish and still have reliable performance and, unlike competitors products that stop at 33's, full warranty coverage.

There are no tire size limits on the Aussie Locker. You may use whatever tires you wish and still have reliable performance and, unlike competitors products that stop at 33's, full warranty coverage.

I'm the OP of this thread. Can you comment on that coat hanger tool?
I see no reason to use it. I would also comment on the instructions. They are a lot more complicated than they need to be. Especially the section where you start the final reassembly. The assembly sequencing should be laid out before the instruction of the assembly. Not to be a know it all, but I do a fair share of technical writing and the audience isn't truly being considered. It's written, one engineer to another, that has first hand knowledge of the proccess. You might consider stepping it down a notch for some of us simple types.

I say this only to help improve the overall experience. I think your products are top notch and plan on being a repeat customer.

Thanks

I'm the OP of this thread. Can you comment on that coat hanger tool?
I see no reason to use it. I would also comment on the instructions. They are a lot more complicated than they need to be. Especially the section where you start the final reassembly. The assembly sequencing should be laid out before the instruction of the assembly. Not to be a know it all, but I do a fair share of technical writing and the audience isn't truly being considered. It's written, one engineer to another, that has first hand knowledge of the proccess. You might consider stepping it down a notch for some of us simple types.

I say this only to help improve the overall experience. I think your products are top notch and plan on being a repeat customer.

Thanks

Thank you for your observations on the manual. Our manuals are always under review and customer input is very important to us.

In some c-clip installations there is a very tight fit (we have not seen this in the Chrysler 8.25 model) and this causes the step of moving the spacer out and inserting the c-clip back in the right axle to be very difficult. This "wire tool" can help by holding the spacer and the axle gear apart while you slide the c-clip inside the space in the locker and over the axle.

i just ordered my aussie today, is it the same as installing one into a d30 except for the c clips correct cant wait to get it in!!!

Last edited:
i just ordered my aussie today, is it the same as installing one into a d30 except for the c clips correct cant wait to get it in!!!

Nowhere near it bro. If you've done a D30, you'll breeze through this. If I were doing another I'm sure I could do it in an hour. You don't have to pull the tires or the carrier. After you pull the c-clips you move the axles out 3" by pulling on the tire. In reverse they slide right into place.

Good luck dude

this design looks exactly like the lock-rite i installed in my YJ. How do they compare on strengh? Like to eventually loc up my XJ. If the install is as easy, this is the way to go.

OP: Got a trail report yet? How noisy is the aussie in the rear?

I installed mine today. I am a little uncomfortable with the ratching sound so far. Quite loud. I t does seem to drive a little different, seem to push a little from time to time.

I have had an aussie in the front for a while, I have never heard it make a noise until I got on the "slick" rock in Moab, but that was the only time. Way different than the rear.

Back