• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Aussie Locker installed in a Chrysler 8.25

OP: Got a trail report yet? How noisy is the aussie in the rear?

Trip Report.

The locker worked very well. So well in fact I was doing things I would have never guessed possible. When we hit the trails I never even noticed the locker making any noise. The only time I hear it is when on hard surfaces going very slow and turning.

In the pic below, stockers cannot make this. I made it rather easily on the second attempt. It was the first thing I attempted in this XJ ever. I'll be buy another one of these for my other XJ.

DSC02277.jpg

OP: I have had an aussie in the front for a while, I have never heard it make a noise until I got on the "slick" rock in Moab, but that was the only time. Way different than the rear.

So you've been running an Aussie ONLY in the front and now you have it both Front & Rear? How did you like having it only in the front? I'm thinking of buying one and I'll probably start in the Rear.

How does it feel driving for everyday use (in 2WD) with both the Front & Rear Locked?

I ordered mine about two weeks ago, Cant wait to finally install it when I get back to AMERICA! when that happens i'll let you guys know how it fares in the snowy roads of Maine.

Got mine yesterday!! That was fast, 3 business days!

Just Differentials just sent me a e-mail that my 4.88's are shipped and will be here on Monday.

im installing this locker right at this moment and i have a question? My jeep has 4.56 gears already and im having a problem getting the cross shaft out am i going to have to pull the case and the ring gear off the case to install it?

im installing this locker right at this moment and i have a question? My jeep has 4.56 gears already and im having a problem getting the cross shaft out am i going to have to pull the case and the ring gear off the case to install it?

How did you get the pin in when you did the gears?

Thanks for the write up. I have one in the front and love it, I will be ordering mine for my rearend when I recieve my tax return check.

wondering how this was resolved? i have 4.56 also, is this an issue?

Having installed 4.56's in my 8.25 but with spiders and not a locker, I had to ground down ring teeth. Would that be any different though for a locker? Seems not. I don't see how you can get the cross shaft, on spiders at least, installed without grinding a few teeth.

This is for the OP, how many miles did you have on the rearend at the time of install? I'm putting mine in this weekend and am wondering if I should get some replacement thrust washers for backup.

to get the cross pin out on 4.56s, as stated earlier, you have to grind. if you planned your gear install right, then you only had to grind down the end of one tooth. reSEARCH and planning are your friends.

to get the cross pin out on 4.56s, as stated earlier, you have to grind. if you planned your gear install right, then you only had to grind down the end of one tooth. reSEARCH and planning are your friends.
I prefer to index the ring gear so that the pin falls between 2 teeth,that way you have to remove less material from each tooth.

so who has actually driven on snow pack or icy roads? I've been looking forward to buying a aussie for about a year. when i went down to my local jeep store to buy one they told me I would be unhappy and end up in a ditch? then I just read a article in JP mag and they said about the same thing. so I'm confused as hell now!!!!( this was for instillation on a dd)

Back