• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to do a gear swap, should I do lockers at the same time or?

I used to live in the V.I. when I originally set up my NAXJA profile, now I live in Chicago, where I see quite a bit of snow. The Truetracs have performed flawlessly. I chose these over others due to them being a clutchless design and thus not needing any type friction modifier in your gear oil. For the longest time, I debated running a full Detroit locker in the rear and a Truetrac in the front, but with my girlfriend driving the Jeep in snowy/icy conditions I feel much more comfortable having her driving with LSD front and rear. Here is an article regarding the Truetrac LSD
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/0810or-eaton-detroit-truetrac-limited-slip-install/
hope this helps
cpefy3

I'm in the same boat.. we get a ton of snow at times and being able to plow through a foot of it is crucial to me.

I'm going to with with a LSD in the rear and in the front either do an Eaton E-locker or LSD.

I'm wondering though, whats the difference in how a factory LSD and a Truetrac LSD behave? From what I gather nothing really...

My 2 cents, if I was in you boat er jeep, I would do a NOS Trac Lock from ebay in the rear and a E-Locker in the front.
You should be able to get both pieces for @ $1100.00

Now I will beat my favorite rock, "If Eaton would have made a E-Locker for the C8.25................................" :flamemad:

FWIW, I like the regular lunchbox lockers (LockRight, etc.) better than the Powertrax No-Slip. On the rear the reasons are more obvious, but in the front why spend more than what a LockRight costs?

I'm doing the rear first... its a little easier on the wallet this way. I have a new Spicer Trac-Lok on order with Motive 4.10's gears and master install kit.

After that's done I'll figure out if I want to go with an E-locker or LSD up front.

Good call on the Spicer unit, although I'd personally have gone with 4:56's. (cause sometime in the future, you'll end up on 33's :) )

I know, I've gone back and forth, but I can't deny my needs to go 70 mph and stay as close to 2000 rpm as possible. So I'll be sticking with 32"'s and opening up the fenders. At 4.5" lift I'll have plenty of room to stuff.. It's all about compromising to do all things. Jack of all trades master of none.

I haven't bought my gears yet. I want to figure out the locker situation and then get new gears and install them all at once.

I thought it was obvious to do both at the same time unless you do it yourself..........:twak:

Back