• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

Alright, I went back and read some of the problem, but I didn't read all the rest of the posts, I'm too lazy.

I had this same problem, take your foot off the gas, and then a horrible grinding noise would happen. It didn't happen every time for me, and it never happened when I took it to my shop. It happened almost instantly after I put the lift on. I too had no problems with my Jeep until I lifted it.

I had one Jeep friend get in with me, thinking he knew what it was going to be, he heard it, and as soon as he heard it, he was like "what the fu..."

I did a SYE with new driveshaft, took out all the vibes I was having, and I haven't heard that grinding noise since. Best thing was, it was like driving my car again before I lifted it. I bet you anything that this will stop that noise.

Begster said:
Alright, I went back and read some of the problem, but I didn't read all the rest of the posts, I'm too lazy.

I had this same problem, take your foot off the gas, and then a horrible grinding noise would happen. It didn't happen every time for me, and it never happened when I took it to my shop. It happened almost instantly after I put the lift on. I too had no problems with my Jeep until I lifted it.

I had one Jeep friend get in with me, thinking he knew what it was going to be, he heard it, and as soon as he heard it, he was like "what the fu..."

I did a SYE with new driveshaft, took out all the vibes I was having, and I haven't heard that grinding noise since. Best thing was, it was like driving my car again before I lifted it. I bet you anything that this will stop that noise.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I figured no one believed me when I was trying to describe what I was hearing, even the guys at Tarheel 4wd didn't catch it. :wierd:

So I should just get a SYE and driveshaft and hopefully that should take care of it? Well, in that case...does anyone have one I get for not a lot of money?

Thats not something you generally find used.... not often at least

NCjeepgirl83 said:
So I should just get a SYE and driveshaft and hopefully that should take care of it? Well, in that case...does anyone have one I get for not a lot of money?
I think the SYE should be part of the Lift Budget. On my '01 It's smoother after the lift and SYE than it was stock. It's not to spendy either, and you'll like the how the Jeep feels with it done. You're gonna want some help to do it, and not from a shop I would think. I did mine myself and it was very easy, so if you've got some competent help you should be OK. I got my SYE from PORC, (PORC SYE) and a good front driveshaft from the local pick and pull. Total cost was less than $200.00 since I got the SYE on sale for $162.99.

dscn3302.jpg

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I figured no one believed me when I was trying to describe what I was hearing, even the guys at Tarheel 4wd didn't catch it. :wierd:

Ok so lets just iron out some sh*t. Have you done the Transfer case drop? Have you shimmed? Have your springs settled? If you haven't done the tcase drop do it now. It'll fix alot of the noises. And X2 on the paranoia. It will be just fine.

Jeeps are supposed to squeek and whine. I drove the piss out a new a JK Rubi and let me tell you what after i was done it sounded just like my XJ.

lancey3 said:
Ok so lets just iron out some sh*t. Have you done the Transfer case drop? Have you shimmed? Have your springs settled? If you haven't done the tcase drop do it now. It'll fix alot of the noises. And X2 on the paranoia. It will be just fine.

Jeeps are supposed to squeek and whine. I drove the piss out a new a JK Rubi and let me tell you what after i was done it sounded just like my XJ.

I have done the t-case drop, I had bought 4* shims but was told I didn't need them. And I don't know if my springs have settled yet. I have only done ~500 miles since the lift was installed. Should I try to get them to settle more by adding more weight in the trunk?

I appreciate you guys' help with this, and I'm sorry if I've pissed anyone off, it wasn't intentional! I just feel pretty helpless at this point, and frustrated too.

Katie I said it before and I'll say it again SYE and your problems will be fixed...I have the PORC Hack and Tap on mine it really is a RE Hack and Tap(just costs less through PORC) The link to the ebay item is a good start if you want to do a SYE on the cheap but there is still nothing really cheap about it. If you chose to do a SYE and want a trained Chrysler tech to install it you would have to drive to my job and I will be happy to install it for you.

If your not that fat or ugly I'm sure you could whore yourself out and have plenty of money...I know I would if I could.

I wish :tear:

Ramsey said:
If your not that fat or ugly I'm sure you could whore yourself out and have plenty of money...I know I would if I could.

LOL I'm not fat or ugly tyvm.

I had a Tcase drop and shims in place, and I still had this grinding noise.
I believe you, especially because I've experienced it first hand. If you have the NP242, go to RE and get their hack and tap kit, about $90, then go get a front driveshaft from a cherokee, I can't remember which one is longer, one from an auto or manual, I think auto, and then use that as your rear driveshaft.

I promise you won't be disapointed.

the auto shaft is longer... Trust me... I have a manual.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
LOL I'm not fat or ugly tyvm.
and your money problems are solved, go find a corner

Front shaft from a 99 XJ with auto trans(traded a set of used lower arms for it)
94234.jpg

RE Hack and Tap from PORC, centering yoke for a early 80's T-Bird/Cougar Spicer part number [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] 211229x [/SIZE][/FONT]
94233.jpg

Vibration free = priceless....
My XJ has 6" of lift a AW-4 and a NP242 t-case. With the degree shims and t-case drop it would grind while braking.

For anyone whio plans on installing a SYE DO NOT use the supplied tap get a tap from a professional tool dealer(Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco) most have them in stock. I didn't have much choice as I let a coworker borrow my tap set earlier in the day and he left before I started to install my SYE.
94226.jpg

Last edited:
Begster said:
I had a Tcase drop and shims in place, and I still had this grinding noise.
I believe you, especially because I've experienced it first hand. If you have the NP242, go to RE and get their hack and tap kit, about $90, then go get a front driveshaft from a cherokee, I can't remember which one is longer, one from an auto or manual, I think auto, and then use that as your rear driveshaft.

I promise you won't be disapointed.

Cool thanks for this advice! I think mine's a NP231 tho. What options do I have with that one?

OK got another question for you XJ guru's out there...when I back out of my driveway (and a few other places), my front axle is bottoming out/hitting the asphault at the end of the driveway. It's actually tearing up the street and tearing up the rubber on the edge of thet axle. I am worried that it will get worse. What can I do about it?

It never did this at all before I got the lift, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the axles at the same height that they were before? What could be causing this? Anyone know?

Thanks again sorry 4 so many questions!

NCjeepgirl83 said:
OK got another question for you XJ guru's out there...when I back out of my driveway (and a few other places), my front axle is bottoming out/hitting the asphault at the end of the driveway. It's actually tearing up the street and tearing up the rubber on the edge of thet axle. I am worried that it will get worse. What can I do about it?

It never did this at all before I got the lift, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the axles at the same height that they were before? What could be causing this? Anyone know?

Thanks again sorry 4 so many questions!

What??? Is that a joke? I'm sorry to ask but are your tires/wheels mounted on the axle? Lol....I didn't think this was possible but apparently anything's possible. Are you sure about this? I'm going to have to see pics to believe it.

rob92xj said:
For anyone whio plans on installing a SYE DO NOT use the supplied tap get a tap from a professional tool dealer(Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Matco) most have them in stock.
If you must use the supplied tap coat it with synthetic motor oil and it should cut better without galling. I use a product called Boelube. It's made by Boeing and is excellent for drilling and tapping, makes a huge difference.

Back