• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

Ramsey said:
500$ just for a chain installed(which you more than likely didn't need)....I hope they included lube in that price.

funny...

Who knows what's going on w/ your jeep.. I didnt do the install, but when I installed and drove my RE3.5 it was great.. no noises, bonks, or whatever...

I also came to the realization ( back when my jeep was my DD and making some noises I couldn't seem to find...) I just deicded... you cant fix it until it breaks.. And it never broke...

Drive it.. if you're not happy w/ it Sell it and buy a Jetta...

uncc civilengineer said:
funny...

Who knows what's going on w/ your jeep.. I didnt do the install, but when I installed and drove my RE3.5 it was great.. no noises, bonks, or whatever...

I also came to the realization ( back when my jeep was my DD and making some noises I couldn't seem to find...) I just deicded... you cant fix it until it breaks.. And it never broke...

Drive it.. if you're not happy w/ it Sell it and buy a Jetta...

Well said Chris. X2...it's a Jeep...if it's NOT making somekind of noise, that's when you get worried. It's that whole "quiet but too quiet" thing. And Katie, I'd be glad to take that lift kit off of your hands if you'd like! I'll swap our suspensions! I'll even throw on a budget boost if you'd like...and of course pay you for your lift. :wave:

X3... wwaaaayy to paranoid... Just drive it, If it breaks... fix it... That is all

If I tryed to fix every noise I heard on mine.. I'd still be bone stock and still paying... vehicles make noises... Instant gratification isn't going to get you anywhere.

500$ just for a chain installed(which you more than likely didn't need)....I hope they included lube in that price.

yeah, no kidding...

I am no sort of master auto technician, but after lifting my jeep with OME/DPG suspension kit, I needed a SYE. Dirk at DPG Offroad was/is the most helpful person on anything Jeep. I had the vibes and noises after 3" lift, which is very common on 97-01 XJ. Installed SYE and shims with new driveshaft, and I have it as smooth as out of the factory (maybe even better). According to many Jeepers, a TC drop is just a temporary fix; a bandaid of sorts, which also lowers the clearance you just gained with your lift. I asked Dirk about any damage to my driveline or TC, with the vibrations and noises. He told me that any stresses on the driveshaft could thru time damage the TC. I am not saying that the TC chain getting stretched out was caused by your lift, but it could be the case. Do a search on this subject. There is alot of great info on this forum. Opinions are a dime a dozen, but my personal experience is 3"OME/DPG lift kit + SYE,shims, and driveshaft = sweet and smooth handling XJ.

Katie if you want you could drive to Fayetteville and I will be more then willing to look at your Jeep. If there is something going on I usually have some spare parts laying around.
If you really want to regear your XJ Ican also do that for you. You would just need the gears and install kits, being a member of the Jeepsters I will work out a reasonable price for the install for you.

I'm assuming it included lube.

I guess my biggest frustration was that my Jeep ran fine before the lift. Honestly, I've had this car for 6 years and it has been the most trouble-free car anyone could hope for! It's never given me a Check Engine light or anything even minor where I would have to take it somewhere.

The engine ran fine, there was absolutely NO noise whatsoever, no odd bumping or popping or anything and trust me, I know what my car is supposed to sound like, and I could tell immediately if it sounded the least bit off.

So basically I haven't had any problems with it at all until I put on the lift. Then everything seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket...

:dunno:

di you happen to change your u-joiints when you put the lift on if not. the joints might just be wore out by the change in the angle of the shaft, see u-joints will create a wear pattern and when you change that angle it might just vibrate enough so that just you notice it and not anyone else be cause you are the one always driving it

NCjeepgirl83 said:
I'm assuming it included lube.
:doh:

Thank You for that laugh!

Well giving it second thought that price might not be that bad, considering the warming kind is around 15$ a bottle.

dude, you're horrible.....:roflmao:

Don't worry Katie it will be back to normal someday. Also do you know what JEEP really stands for? Just Empty Every Pocket... just kidding but it will get straightened out.

rob92xj said:
Don't worry Katie it will be back to normal someday. Also do you know what JEEP really stands for? Just Empty Every Pocket... just kidding but it will get straightened out.
Good thing you said "just kidding" I think you had her worried there for a second. You people disgust me. Almost as bad as a bunch of naggers.

Ramsey said:
Good thing you said "just kidding" I think you had her worried there for a second. You people disgust me. Almost as bad as a bunch of naggers.

I'm about in agreement with you...lol...is this done yet??? lol...

Nurse- "Dr., should we use lubrication"
Dr.- "There's no time for lubrication"
Patient- "THERE'S ALWAYS TIME FOR LUBRICATION!!!!"

Aw c'mon...quit giving me a hard time about stuff! If you're tired of reading about it, then don't read it. Simple as that.

What some of you fail to understand is that I've never done anything of this magnitude before, and even though I did a lot of research about lifts and accessories before I got mine, I'll admit that I wasn't prepared for what's been happening.

I didn't think it would be this big of a deal, and to be honest, I guess it's really not, it's just me being picky and paranoid about stuff. All I know is I feel that my Jeep should drive and sound exactly as it did before, or at least as close as it did before. That's all I want really. Who knows? maybe I should've just left it stock. Oh well. I'm glad I did it, but I'm ready for this stuff to be over too.

ZacSquatch said:
X3... wwaaaayy to paranoid... Just drive it, If it breaks... fix it... That is all

If I tryed to fix every noise I heard on mine.. I'd still be bone stock and still paying... vehicles make noises... Instant gratification isn't going to get you anywhere.

Well, unlike you, I'd be paying out my a$$ to get whatever breaks fixed by a trained mechanic, so I prefer to fix it before it breaks...

The guy at tarheel told me it'd be $1200 for a new t-case, so $500 doesn't seem too bad.

I don't know where you're coming from with the instant gratification bit...if you're saying I'm impatient, that's fine. I am. Get over it.

Well thats if you buy a new t-case... one on here can be had for $150.. and paying someone to throw it on would be more than 100 or so..

But anywho..

ZacSquatch said:
Well thats if you buy a new t-case... one on here can be had for $150.. and paying someone to throw it on would be more than 100 or so..

But anywho..

yea, i think i picked mine up outta the junkyard for 200, and that was even showing the guys which one i wanted, and they pulled it outta the jeep for me. (no sense in gettin dirty, muddy, and cold if i dont haveta)

Back