• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

BruceB83 said:
What??? Is that a joke? I'm sorry to ask but are your tires/wheels mounted on the axle? Lol....I didn't think this was possible but apparently anything's possible. Are you sure about this? I'm going to have to see pics to believe it.

I'll take some tomorrow. I'm not kidding you can hear it when it happens, it's a horrible grinding sound.

uncc civilengineer said:
hmm... I had no issues what-so-ever w/ the tap? It's been used quite a few times since then also...

use cutting fluid?
X2, had no problems what so ever.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Cool thanks for this advice! I think mine's a NP231 tho. What options do I have with that one?
I would suggest this one.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=328&Pn=1804&XnPath=320,321,328&Vid=8905CF4896448

Or, the heavy duty one if you feel like you need it, same thing as was pictured on the previous page.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=328&Pn=1808&XnPath=320,321,328&Vid=8905CF4896448

I've had no problem with the RE hack and tap kit. Some people will suggest PORC or some other places, search around and you'll find a good deal.
I was also talking to another XJ owner today, he has experienced the same grinding noise.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
OK got another question for you XJ guru's out there...when I back out of my driveway (and a few other places), my front axle is bottoming out/hitting the asphault at the end of the driveway. It's actually tearing up the street and tearing up the rubber on the edge of thet axle. I am worried that it will get worse. What can I do about it?

It never did this at all before I got the lift, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the axles at the same height that they were before? What could be causing this? Anyone know?

Thanks again sorry 4 so many questions!

I must see a picture of this driveway. It must be insane!

Your tires are larger. They axle is higher off the ground than it was. Not by much.

Surely it's something else. Grinding is bad. Are you sure you lifted it and didn't lower it?

Wow, 10,000 views - What girls can do to people.

Like mentioned above an SYE should clear up your noise problems. I had my T-case lowered and my axle shimmed and I thought I didn't have any vibes. Then I got an SYE(got tired of T-case drop causing clearance issues with the ground) and WOW smooth as glass.

And an XJ can be free of wierd noises if you want it to be. Mine has 214K on the clock and it doesn't vibrate etc. If it wasn't for the lunch box lockers front and rear it wouldn't make any wierd noises either.

Don't worry you will get it there :D

I actually work extremely close to tarheel 4wd um.... do you drive past Park's chevrolet? It is 2-3 miles away!!!If you want to I can listen to this noise you are hearing.Hell I can even help you wrench on yer jeep if ya want-I am a master ase tech --been wrenchin for over 22 years now.................so anything that needs to be done is no problem.I would'nt even THINK of charging any cash to a fellow-or ??? fellow female NAXJer? LOL.Anyways let me know..........

NCjeepgirl83 said:
LOL I'm not fat or ugly tyvm.
I beg to differ.

Scratch that whoring idea.

markaboo929 said:
I actually work extremely close to tarheel 4wd um.... do you drive past Park's chevrolet? It is 2-3 miles away!!!If you want to I can listen to this noise you are hearing.Hell I can even help you wrench on yer jeep if ya want-I am a master ase tech --been wrenchin for over 22 years now.................so anything that needs to be done is no problem.I would'nt even THINK of charging any cash to a fellow-or ??? fellow female NAXJer? LOL.Anyways let me know..........

Hey thanks! I come from Eastway onto N Tryon--are you before Tarheel or after? But it'd be great if you could have a listen to it when I bring it by.

Sure......if you go past Terheel-which is on yer left-go to the next light-get in the turning lane-look to your left Park's Chevrolet is there.see the building that says Truck Center-thats where I work.Turn left from the street-Tom Hunter-turn left into the lot and turn right to drive in the front bays of the truck shop.Ask for me Mark-or 'lil Mark as I am refered to.NOT what you think!!!! There are 2 of us named Mark there. LOL!!!!!

NCJeepgirl just bear with it for a while you will get it all worked out. come up to the school on sunday at 2 or something i think. across from the circle K. Tim would know. we have a 4x4 group the guys in it sould be able to climb all over your jeep to find out what going wrong with everything. i havent heard many people that put a lift on and had no problems. I have the sticker "Just Empty Every Pocket" on the side of my jeep. i have come to realize its my life story. but anyways dont get discuraged. and they can take you wheeling by the school. you should be able to get some good flex pics there. a few of us went last week and i have 4.5 RC lift with 33x12.50 and i only rubbed a little in the rear so you would be fine. The picture is right after i got done.
DSCN3589.jpg
Good luck

Last edited:
Her driveway is pretty much flat.. Unless she's hitting the brick retaining wall on the right side I don't know WTF is going on...

Ramsey, your killin me, lol.

I still want to see pics of where the Jeep is scrapin the driveway.....having a hard time picturing that one...

Back