• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My build

keep us updated on the DIY trackbar mount (looks like ruffstuff?) the geometry on my ruffstuff was waaay wrong, and wouldnt work for me.

Finally got it all done here are some pics

Frame mount
GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment5.jpg

Axle mount
GetAttachment1-1.jpg

GetAttachment2-1.jpg

GetAttachment4.jpg

Angles
GetAttachment3-1.jpg

On all fours again
GetAttachment6.jpg

And no day is complete if your working on a jeep without some blood
GetAttachment7.jpg

Any comments, questions or advice are always welcome

some thoughts

1. I would have welded inside aswell as outside of both sides of the frame side mount... and then plated the end with some metal that ran up further onto the frame rail. just my opinion, but I think that mount will tear off pretty quickly if left the way it is.

2. the axle mount is mounted backwards (I would guess by looking at it) if you swapped it around a full 180* it would have the bar mounting in the same position, but it would angle up so the heim would be more upright.

3. other than that, angles look ok, what was the finished lengths of the trac bar & drag link?

1. The guy welding the stuff for me said that doing just doing the outside would be more then, I think he's right but time will tell.

2. We flipped it around and tested it a few times, and the result would have been the same. The other side is identical to that side.

3. The Track bar is 30" and the drag link is 37"

Finally got it all done here are some pics

Frame mount
GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment5.jpg

why not use the stock holes to mount the track bar bracket. i would be concered that welding the mount to the frame would weaken the frame.

i dont like to be too critical of peoples hard work, but im a bit skeptical of the welds on that frame bracket.

I moved the bracket a little bit from stock and the mount was in the way of the bottom bolts. I didn't feel like putting the time into making a bracket that would reach the top bolts and contour to the frame.

People weld to the unibody all the time, we used a lower setting and focused the majority of heat onto the thick metal, we were very slow and it took a long time to do the frame as to not over heat the frame.

I moved the bracket a little bit from stock and the mount was in the way of the bottom bolts. I didn't feel like putting the time into making a bracket that would reach the top bolts and contour to the frame.

People weld to the unibody all the time, we used a lower setting and focused the majority of heat onto the thick metal, we were very slow and it took a long time to do the frame as to not over heat the frame.

yes, you can weld to the frame, but usually a stitch or/and plug weld(frame stiffeners) is done so it doesnt compromise the integrity of the frame. you welded completely around the bracket to the frame. i could be completely wrong. im not "ripping" on you, just questioning the method used. my concern would be that the added leverage of the longer bracket would put stress on the vertical welds. maybe a brace from the other trackbar mount holes to the passenger side frame rail, like the RE trackbar frame mount support bracket.

Ok so I already have a small problem. I have been driving the jeep around a lot since I got it fixed and I am having some steering issues. It seems to track all of the road and when I turn left the wheels want to keep turning or when I start to turn back ot the right it takes a second for it to respond. It also feels like I am getting bad body roll when I turn. I can keep it between the lines but it takes so focus.

Could this be a result of not having the wheels adjusted perfectly straight or bumpsteer or wear in the box?

Yeah, thats a tight jeep and all, but i'm really blown away by how dirty your floor in the garage is, that would bug me to no end

Yeah, thats a tight jeep and all, but i'm really blown away by how dirty your floor in the garage is, that would bug me to no end

I know trust me. Trying being underneath of it with all of that dropping down you ha ha ha. One day I said F' it and I started knocking as much mud off of it as possible, Thank you hollister mud pit. Since I pulled the jeep out I cleaned the floor and picked all of my "missing" tools.

could be a few things; bumpsteer, poor caster angles, poor toe alignment

I just adjusted the Toe and alignment and will hopefully be driving it around town soon when my wife gets home from work.

If it is bumpsteer I may be able to correct the steering angles a bit by moving the trackbar to the top mounting hole. I will need to grind out the mount a bit as the trackbar will hit the piece of steel on the front of the mount when the passenger side is at bump.

Another a little problem, I think that my flasher went out as I was replacing a fuse for my stereo because my hazards work, but my blinkers don't. Any other thoughts?

Ok so I already have a small problem... It also feels like I am getting bad body roll when I turn. I can keep it between the lines but it takes so focus.

I didn't see a sway bar connected in you latest photo. That would contribute to poor stability.
Mine tracked pretty poorly on uneven roads when I tried driving with no sway bar.
Disregard if it IS connected :D

The lower mounts were in the way of my steering so they got cut off. I don't really feel like fabbing up new ones. And yeah the body roll is definetly contributed to this

Been awhile since I updated this. Haven't done anything new, but I have new problems.

My blinkers do not work for some reason. I replaced the cicular pronged blinker fuse and that was not the issue so I am lost. Any ideas?

Back