• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 2 door chopped build thread...

The only factory wiring I use is the 2 small wires that go from the high low switch. I ran each of those wires to the separate relays. All the rest of mine is 10 and 12 gauge.

so i'm running into some issues with the wiring. just to recap it's a 93 4.0 auto
replaced tail lights with a total of 4 oval leds.
none of the lights in the rear work. except for the pass. side brake light. that is the only one that will light up.

the front my turn signals won't work but the hazards do, and the driver side running light won't turn on when the lights are on. i'm chalking that up to not having the ep27 flasher relay. though my relay is round in the fuse box.

for my reverse lights i'm using some white stop/turn with a 3 pin plug. i only have the running light wired into the reverse lights. should i have both wires spliced into the one reverse light wire? of should i get some different leds that are only single function?

so far what i've checked.
retraced all wiring - all wires are connected to the proper colors
checked all fuses under driver side dash near steering column - they are all good

what i haven't done
checked the led lights themselves to see if they work - i don't know how
replaced the standard flasher relay with an ep27 flasher relay - parts store was closed
wired in any resistors, i have one from when i had these leds on my tj - i just forget which wire to splice them in
other things i can't think of checking

Last edited:
one other thing i should mention is that i ended up having to hard wire the head light wiring harness to the stock harness under the hood. my plug was completely corroded and wires were breaking off both ends.

after making sure all wires were correctly attached i had two left over at the engine bay side of the plug. but there were no wires to attach those to on the header panel side. one wire was brown with a white stripe the other was pink with an olive green stripe

i'm pretty sure i got i all figured out.

1. i double checked the grounds and added another ground wire to the chassis.
2. wired both leads of the white stop turn to my reverse light wire.
3. replaced the on led that was busted.
4. wired in two 20w 8ohm resistors to the brake turn signal for the rear leds

i still have some blinker issues, as in no turn signals and lights alternating up front. but i believe that getting the ep27 relay will fix all that. well that's what i think will fix it based on all the other led blinker problem threads that i read.

so i've finally got some pictures to upload. nothing special. i actually haven't taken any pictures of most of the stuff done. yet. that'll come soon.

i've got one more side to cut and make my other creeper joint shackle. i'm making them with some adjustability. then weld it all up.

here's how i had to cut the rear bumper to have room for the shackle to swing.

rearbumpercut.jpg

here's the new adjustable shackle hanger with creeper joint

shacklemountcreeperjoint.jpg

i've got the whole front end painted... kinda of... but i've only got a picture of the header panel.

grillandheaderpanelpainted.jpg

more has been done. just didn't get pictures of it all. i'm hoping to have this guy back on the road in a few weeks.

here's the hood all painted. it turned out kind of shitty, but at this point i just want it rolling again. oh and it's actually a burgandy color not orange, wierd lighting.

hoodpaintedkindof.jpg

here's the front wheel wells with some rc 3in coils. just need to add some reinforcements on the back and flares.

frontfender3insprings.jpg

rear armor for the bed side. it's 1/8th plate cut and pressed on then welded to kind of follow the stock body lines.

passsidearmor.jpg

here's the finished cuts on the rear bumper. i don't have the shackle hanger bolted on yet, i need to drill out my shackle for a 9/16 bolt and don't have a bit that big

rearbumpercutfinish.jpg

i'm up in the air as to paint the cage the same color as the jeep or the dark grey that my grill, bumpers, wheels and sliders will be painted. i'll cross that bridge when i get to it. first is to get it back on his own feet again.

i was too tired to do much today. so i just got the driver side armor on, i'll probably be putting some bondo on the edges to smooth them out and seal everything. no need to weld it all up.

driversidearmor.jpg

my main leaf is bent on the driver side, would i be able to use this with a kind of "military wrap" in a bastard pack?

driverleafspring.jpg

i have another leaf pack with a full length 3in aal, i'm just afraid it'll put me too high in the rear. the leaves are already broken in, so there probably won't be much settling.

so it's been some time since i've updated this thread. he's finally sitting on all fours for good, well until i swap the 35's on. still some small odds and ends to tidy up. need to finish the interior, bleed the brakes, tighten a few things down. etc... i don't really have any decent pics as the lighting in my garage sucks and most work is done at night. but i'll get some up soon.

now the plan is to get my axles put together for the spring.

here's the new plate i had to make for the shackle relocation bracket to bolt to

shacklehangerv2.jpg

the front fender all cut with a rear tj flare cut and mounted. i should've left a bit more on so go down the contour of the body, but oh well. and yes i know i cut too much out of the front, i'll be stretching the axle forward and inch when i do my 3 link.

frontfenderwithflare.jpg

and a little upgrade to the sound system. it's a kicker comp c free air sub. i didn't have enough room to make a box, so i just built a false wall to attach to the cage between the seats.

subholder.jpg

i was unaware as well until i talked to my car audio buddy's. oh there's been alot of progress. just not many pictures.

i've got my 35's mounted. now i just need to finish up the interior and a few other tedious things. paint all the bare steel and roll it out of the garage for the first time in months

hahaha. i'll just tell everyone it's my rat rod.

oh and here are all the 35's mounted up on my wheels. hopefully today i'll have them on the jeep and take those little 33's off. hahaha

35sallmountedup.jpg

Back