• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Hi-Lift?

jack.jpg
Here's mine. I don't think the FormattFab one will work with a fullsize spare in place, but I can't say for sure. I was thinking of making my own, too, until that occurred to me.

I used to have mine mounted like that on the front, but it was always covered in mud and wouldn't work when I needed it--either that or it was under water/mud when I wanted to use it. I've had good luck with it mounted on the roof rack or now inside mounted to a rack i have over the cargo section.

My full size (if you call 235/75/15 full size) fits fine. I just have to put the jack handle urethane spacer in the right spot, or it won't. Without the mount I think you can put a 30" tire in the factory spot, but I don't think it will fit with the mount installed.

i have a 30" spare in there right now, and it's really tight, so again, not sure on the format fab fit. i also want it inside because this is the rust belt here, and i don't want to worry about someone stealing it easily.

I used the 'behind the rear seat on top of the wheelwell' option.... I have a 30" spare, the base of the highlift is wedged behind the spare and between the spare and rear seat, it goes across the back with the handle facing up, over to the passenger rear wheel well. I have a really heavy ziptie holding the end tight to the seat bracket just to keep it tight to the seat. It is in there pretty tight. Ill try to get a pic on my cardomain sight soon.

Phantom said:
Good idea, does it rattle?

Thanks. Nope. I bought one of those daystar handle holders ($10) from Quadratec and I use a bungee cord at the bottom. No noise.

Starboard M said:
NorCal, what is the upper bolt attatched to?

Nothing, that's the clam clevis attachment for the hi-lift. It's wedged against the rear passenger "oh sh*t" handle and the rear hatch. Actually it's the small ledge to the left of the hatch. I used the stock tire holder and tightened it down... that's it.

I can even lean a 33*12.5*15 in the stock location and tie it down w/ a rachet strap, but the rear seat won't fold up.

DR

Hey MontanaXJ
Is that Rigidico's Rear bumper and carrier. That looks excellent. I have the setup on order but only seen pics on the earlier models. Any problems/concerns with the bumper and carrier? Don't want to offend anyone for posting this comment on this thread but I think that looks great and the mounting is second to none. Thanks MontanaXJ for any comments.

anybody have the garvin roof rack mount?
just curious what it looks like. Seems to hold the hi lift above the rack.. seems dumb to me.....

I think ill end up mounting mine in the middle of the roof rack....to the floor or something..

aaron

aroncull said:
anybody have the garvin roof rack mount?
just curious what it looks like. Seems to hold the hi lift above the rack.. seems dumb to me.....

I think ill end up mounting mine in the middle of the roof rack....to the floor or something..

aaron

I ended up mounting mine on the rear of the Garvin rack. I thought the Garvin mount was way overpriced. I put two bolts through the holes in the rear of the rack. I seem to recall having to drill the holes out just slightly. I believe that I used 7/16" bolts (whatever fits in the holes of the hi-lift). The holes on the hi-lift line up with the holes on the rack. I just used wingnuts with lock washers to keep the hi-lift in place. Simple and cheap - only cost a few bucks. I have the rack off of the XJ right now but could probably snap a couple of pics if it doesn't make sense.

I actually have a Rigid rear bumper w/tire and hi-lift carrier on order. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep the Garvin rack or sell it. The XJ fits in the garage without the rack which is nice when it is raining or snowing outside.

Scroll down to part numper blm4x400. These are what I choose and they work great.

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

As far as the accident thing, shit happens. I see it all the time at work. As you know, most of the time it is avoidable and there are idiots on the road. Pay attention to your driving and what is going on around you and you lesson your chance of getting in an accident by being an observant, defensive driver.

With that being said, I can not think of a better place to mount it than on the hood. Just point the tooth? foward on the passenger side and mount it as close to the wind as you can with the hood open all the way. This is very convenient.

DSCF1378.jpg

Okie Terry said:
I think you should strip your interior and put the HiLift right where the seat used to be.

Not everybody is willing to strip thier interior like us. If they would it would make things a whole lot eisier on them. They are worried about heat and road noise and bla bla bla. :laugh3: It opens up so many options.

does anyone see anything wrong with mounting the hi-lift on the front of the front bumper?

cupcake

kev0 said:
does anyone see anything wrong with mounting the hi-lift on the front of the front bumper?

cupcake
There's nothing wrong with mounting a HiLift on the front bumper.
On top, it keeps the salt, mud, and bugs out of you radiator, on bottom, it keeps pesky things like rocks from denting your bumper.

Back