• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Hi-Lift?

Good call on the spear theory. I have a 2dr and was thinking of using the inside spare tire j bolt as one possible mounting point, then towards the b pillar. But after you brought it up, i dont think i want the end of that jack pointed at my back, or head. I guess I will go the roof rack route, when I get to it...

i tried to put mine under my backseat but even with the base off of it i couldnt get the seat to latch on both sides without putting more presure on it than i was comfortable with. so i took the base off and put it laying on the floor, front to back, between the front passenger seat and the door. its not in the way, and even in a roll i dont think there is anyway it could jump out of its little slot and be a problem. the top of the jack is towards the front of the jeep, and the moving part of the jack is about 1/3 of the way up the bar or so, just to where its about even with the back of the front seat.

kolby

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to mount mine. Ideally, I'd be able to use the jack as a structural 'helper' when it is solidly bolted to the Jeep. I'd mount it as a rear bumper, but I'd rather keep it clean and rust free. Mounting it inside makes me worry about it becoming a missle hazard (FOD) during a wreck. I'd like to mount it to the rear footwell, so it would be a side impact beam/ torsional brace. That would also make it easy to access and keep the weight low and centered.

Its too bad the jack can't be mounted upright in the XJ. It would make a killer roll cage 'helper'. Hi-Jack needs to make special base plates for both ends of their jacks for this. Can you imagine 2 Hi-Lift jacks forming a 'V' or an 'A' behind the front seats? That would form a giant triangle to support the roof above your heads.

That makes me think of another oddball idea. How about an aluminum skidplate for the roof? Take a big piece of 3/16" aluminum alloy and bolt it to the flimsy roof (or rather through the roof to something solid). Bend the front edge to form a sun visor. It would make also be a sturdy place to mount lights. The whole idea is about using sheet aluminum and the I-beam of the Hi-Lift jack to help the tubes of the roll cage to do their job.

this is just like the "where to put the spare tire" thread. Just get an MJ and it's easy :D
P1010015.jpg

that's a 60" one too. a great way to mount it is to make little risers with box tubing, with a 3/8 bolt welded to the top, but a swaybar or shock stud bushing on the bolt, put the high-lift on the bolts, put some big washers on, then 3/8 wing-nuts. it keeps it nice and secure and with the bushings there's no rattling.

I can't believe I am the only one doing this, but must be. I want mine on the roof, but I am waiting for rack, so for now, my 48" is mounted behind the second row of seats on my 4dr. xj. Just put the base against the inside of fender well on drivers side, (the top piece has to have the bite bar at a 90 degree angle) the top will lie on top of the passenger fender well. It holds tight to back of seat, which is angled so it really doesn't take up to much cargo area, but can be a pain to get out if packed to hilt. I bungie top to seat latch in case of roll over, base will stay under tire. In front end collision, it would be perfect spot.

As a side note, I don't like it inside as if you ever use your jack, it gets muddy. C'mon, they are only 50 bucks to begin with, and it will outlast my kids life anyway.

Jason

BrettM said:
this is just like the "where to put the spare tire" thread. Just get an MJ and it's easy :D

...except that, like with the tire, the whole problem stems from the need these guys have to preserve the BACK SEAT...

I've stripped mine down to a two seater too, so I have all kinds of room for the jack, the tire, the toolbox, and the groceries.

Even in the rain... :D

Robert

Red97XJ said:
I can't believe I am the only one doing this, but must be. I want mine on the roof, but I am waiting for rack, so for now, my 48" is mounted behind the second row of seats on my 4dr. xj. Just put the base against the inside of fender well on drivers side, (the top piece has to have the bite bar at a 90 degree angle) the top will lie on top of the passenger fender well. It holds tight to back of seat, which is angled so it really doesn't take up to much cargo area, but can be a pain to get out if packed to hilt. I bungie top to seat latch in case of roll over, base will stay under tire. In front end collision, it would be perfect spot.

As a side note, I don't like it inside as if you ever use your jack, it gets muddy. C'mon, they are only 50 bucks to begin with, and it will outlast my kids life anyway.

Jason

I have 2 kids car seats in the back of my Heep

I mounted mine on the rear seat back... I pulled the seat back out unzipped the uphoulstry (sp), drilled, then welded 2 bolt into the metal seat frame. I punched 2 holes in the fabric and It bolts to the seat itself...I'll post pics later. the only downside is folding the seat down quietly it kinda difficult.

I saved the back seat (for friends to get dirty in) and added a storeage box built out of plywood behind the back seat (for rollover safety I want it all contained) that fits the cooler tight, the tool box tight, has a fold down lunch counter, and everything.. Even with all this behind the seat, there is still enough room to lay the jack under the spare tire between the taillights and bolt it to the countertop. It is the first thing you see when you need it.. easy access even in the mud you can always open the hatch. the kids don't need to get out. and it only gets the last 6" dirty when its been raining the entire week before you went wheeling.
:guitar: Rock ON

Brian Carpenter said:
I saved the back seat (for friends to get dirty in) and added a storeage box built out of plywood behind the back seat (for rollover safety I want it all contained) that fits the cooler tight, the tool box tight, has a fold down lunch counter, and everything.. Even with all this behind the seat, there is still enough room to lay the jack under the spare tire between the taillights and bolt it to the countertop. It is the first thing you see when you need it.. easy access even in the mud you can always open the hatch. the kids don't need to get out. and it only gets the last 6" dirty when its been raining the entire week before you went wheeling.
:guitar: Rock ON
Brian, I did a storage box in the back of mine also (http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html) and was looking for some ideas for a "lunch counter" if you're referring to what I think you are. Got pics?

anybody ever thought about mounting it the the inside of the rear hatch?

mine is layin cross ways directly behind the rear seat... but this thread gave me an idea. Is there anything the bolt it to and the back hatch?????

Inside the hatch is a bad idea. The hinges are crap anyway and the door is fiberglass and prone to cracks. You would have to double up on the nitrogen springs to get it open. If it's inside, you really need to bolt it to something substantial. A trail roll over at a half mile per hour is one thing, rolling it at 50 is quite another.

Just picture a frog in a blender for the effect. :anon:

kewlkatdady said:
anybody ever thought about mounting it the the inside of the rear hatch?

mine is layin cross ways directly behind the rear seat... but this thread gave me an idea. Is there anything the bolt it to and the back hatch?????
I wouldn't do that... more weight and stress on the hatch, it's already too heavy as it is. Besides, why would you want to have a hi-lift over your head? That's just asking for trouble, maybe you should get a good :twak: in the noggin to make you realize you shouldn't put one in there. :rolleyes:

hmm other reasons NOT to put on a hatch:
less head clearance, unless you are short
arms aching in propping the d@mn hatch cause the hatch shocks are worn out prematurely

I guess common sense just goes out the window :rolleyes: :dunno:

:viking:

i had to go over-kill and get the 60"... now look where it has to ride...

it doesnt actually get in my line-of-site often, but i will be painting it black to reduce the "hey-cop-look-at-me" red flag effect...

standard

yeah its a poser shot but it gives a good angle to see the jack mounting....

mike

how did you put it on the hood, it looks nice, and is your tire just sitting on the factory roof rails.

Ramsey said:
how did you put it on the hood, it looks nice, and is your tire just sitting on the factory roof rails.

It looks like the tire is mounted using a tire mount that Jeep had for at least one year as a dealer installed factory option. I've got the same mount on my 2001. It's a pretty decent mount, but it seems like the instructions say something about not exceeding a certain sized tire and if memory serves me correctly it's not a very big tire that it lists as the max.

Robert

Back