• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a Hi-Lift?

I built a shelf in the rear compartment to hold all my tools.
The shelf is plywood, and held up by two 2" thick boards. The shelf overlaps the boards in the rear so there is an overhang, and I keep by hi lift, crow bar and other things in the rear behind the upright boards and under the overhang.

The plywood on top is held down by straps, which are hooked onto the brackets that come with the xj. I keep my tools and other items in many miscellanious small tool boxes and bags, and the two uprights divide the space into three areas, which works pretty well.

Everything is reasonably accessable, and the plywood and straps hold everything including the hi lift down. Just to be sure I tie down the hi lift, crow bar etc, using some cord and the two brackets in the back,

how do you open your hood with that thing on there? does someone hold the release as you pull up on it? the roof is only another 18" higher and the weight would be more to the back of the truck, I think i would have gone a different route, but i have thought of lights out there, like the Wrangler hood hinge mounts....

On my 95 I have my Hi-Lift laying right in front of the rear hatch. The top of the jack fits between the rear pillar molding and the gas filler molding and the base fits nicely in the molding cutout that was used for multi-disc changers and storage. There was even enough room in the cutout that I mounted a decent size fire exinguisher in there as well.

i mounted it across the hood with the 4Xmount brackets from highlift.. i was going to put it on the front bumper but i didnt want to use it as a bashbar... and it is close enough to the hinges that it doesnt affect the hood opening.. it a lil heavier but not much... the tire is on the roof with a MOPAR tire carrier.... not sure what the actual size rating is for it but i have a 33x10.50 up there with no problems... the only issue i had was that the XJ is an 87 and the carrier is designed for the "newer" style raised roof rails not the flat ones that came OEM in 87.. so i got a roof rack off a wrecked 96 and i only needed to drill 4 holes and all the others lined up with the factory holes... i replaced the original rubber nut/bushings with stainless hardware and fender washers to hole the weight of the tire from ripping out the old worn bushings....

mike

sidriptide said:
i had to go over-kill and get the 60"... now look where it has to ride...

it doesnt actually get in my line-of-site often, but i will be painting it black to reduce the "hey-cop-look-at-me" red flag effect...

standard

yeah its a poser shot but it gives a good angle to see the jack mounting....

mike

That doesn't seem too bad for an offroad rig, but I'd never want to drive on the road with that. The HiLift jack is about the most dangerous piece of equipment that I can think of to have bouncing around in a wreck. Now, for offroad I think it makes a lot of sense. The jack is high and dry. It is easy to get to. It stays outside when you get it dirty. Those are all good things.

A hood mount might work even better if it were tied into an exo-cage.

Yucca-Man said:
Brian, I did a storage box in the back of mine also (http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html) and was looking for some ideas for a "lunch counter" if you're referring to what I think you are. Got pics?

Sorry, Not cool enough to post pics..
Basically it is a wide plastic coated board that lays out like a hideaway desk. folds up and out of the way against the box then lays out over the bumper hanging on 2 chains as a clean surface to make lunch on. My box is about 16" tall, so the counter is that long... won't hold up my big butt, but it does ok with buns on it.

Brian Carpenter said:
My box is about 16" tall, so the counter is that long... won't hold up my big butt, but it does ok with buns on it.
Gotcha - wasn't sure if it was drop-down or pullout. I'm looking for pullout ideas for mine because the overall height isn't too much but I'd like to be able to work back there instead of directly on top of the box lid.

Jim

Yucca-Man said:
Gotcha - wasn't sure if it was drop-down or pullout. I'm looking for pullout ideas for mine because the overall height isn't too much but I'd like to be able to work back there instead of directly on top of the box lid.

Jim
Check with Dan Starc.

You can't see it well here, but his lunch counter sure comes in handy.
I believe it is a tube frame with a sheetmetal counter surface.

is.php

Last edited:
If you want to keep it inside, it will fit nicely on the floor across the back just inside of the rear hatch (with the base on). I kept mine there for a long time with no issues, and it was easy to get to.

Now, mine is mounted across the front, above the bumper, on two posts that I made and secured with wing nuts. Other people use mine a lot, since it's easy to get to........much easier than digging theirs out from under something inside of their rig. :D

standard.jpg

As much as everyone here likes to DIY, this may be off base: Formatt Fab makes a mount that bolts in behind the latch bars for the top of the back seat. The jack bolts in across the vehicle, below the top edge of the seat. I ordered one... $40+shipping. It's inside, always with me. Probably limited to the 48" model, but I only have 3.5" of lift. HTH

When mounting a Hi-Lift, be very careful not to get your hootus caught in the mechanism. That smarts!

well.........i dont know about you, but i really dont work on my jeep in the nude.......so i would find it hard to get my hootus in the way

but when i rust proof.........thats a different story

I found this one the other day. I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet with all the formatt fans on this board. If I ever get a rear bumper to hold my spare I'll take the rack off the top and use this to mount the hilift inside--I think this is the best/safest interior option for the hilift.

http://www.formattfab.com

Let me know how that formatt one works. I'm really interested to see how it goes. Not a bad price either when compared to other hilift mounting stuff.

Back