• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M101A to off road camper

This is downright awesome, the price scares the hell out of me as I am too cheap right now, but one day when I get the cash and can afford to go camping as often as I would like this will be cool to have. Until than, cheapo tent if someones with me or squished into the jeep if I am flyin solo (Do it atleast once a year, take off by myself, fish, and just relax, can't beat it for the weekend)

Nice. I'm looking to do something similar, I've seen a lot of write ups on these...damn it sounds like money gets dumped into them like mad.

Not sure I have the patience...how long did this take you from start to finish, hours?

Thanx,

B

i keep seeing these offroad tent setups, and the trailers, It helps me focus the direction of my rig. I absolutly love the OD trailer and OD XJ.

Nice. I'm looking to do something similar, I've seen a lot of write ups on these...damn it sounds like money gets dumped into them like mad.

Not sure I have the patience...how long did this take you from start to finish, hours?

Thanx,

B

HOURS ? not sure really i was in the garage every night for a few weeks.. i think we spent more time staring at it and thinking bout what we were gonna do to it next,, than actually workin on it.. . the lid took one night the fenders one night . the tailgate and legs a couple of nights , the finish work is what takes the time..

Right on, I found one that I liked, was the right price vs. building...bought it.

Heilite off road trailer

I like your tent setup, if my canvas goes bad I'd like to get something like you have. I love that it opens up front to have a sitting area! That's a hefty price tho...$3k :eek:

It looks a bit smaller than mine, but hopefully by then the kids will be older and want their own tents to crash in ;)

I also need to find a canopy for mine. Nice work, really like what you've done.

B

Last edited:
The camper shell and canvas are 40+ (it's a 60's model) and the trailer is about 3-5 years old. Guy custom made it for this particular box.

I'm looking for a set of poles and either a tarp or large fly, we'll see what happens.

Thanx,

B

sorry buddy i held on to them for a while . but i sold them to a guy over on expedition portals .. those reflectors are worth more than gold.. i should have auctioned them off to the highest bidder.. . a still have the wheels tires and hubs .. they are mint shape.. the michelin x radials still have the nubs on them .. those im keeping for another trailer project..

Awesome build!

Is the trailer watertight? Or do you just pack items in cargo holders that are watertight?

Awesome build!

Is the trailer watertight? Or do you just pack items in cargo holders that are watertight?

NO not completely but i have never had any water in it yet the lid is sealed and the lip folds over the edge, nothing is coming in the top.. the tailgate i have put some rubber stripping around the sides but the bottom edge is not sealed if anything got in there i would be surprised , maybe if it was parked in a stream or river for a while it might leak a few drops , and yes almost everything gets packed into containers anyway for ease of loading and unloading,

I am going to keep reading up on these and searching for them. So far I have found a couple that are pretty expensive ($500 +).

After reading a couple builds I am almost considering building one from scratch.

if ya gots the skills and the tools going from scratch is probably easier and then you can build exactly what you want, but,, the m101's are just so damned cool, 500 hundred bucks is cheap for a decent unit, ive seen the go for as high as 1500,

That is the one area where I have no clue. I don't know what they are worth in any condition. Most of the builds I have seen the guys extend frames, redo wiring harnesses, widen fenders for additional coverage of larger wheels, etc. So once it comes down to it almost makes sense to me to just frame one up and start from scratch.

Are there any plans for these published online?

plans ?? are you looking for plans for a m101 or 416 or a do it yourself type design? i can find drawings with measurments for these 2 trailers and post em up for ya, just not right now cuz im going to bed,
if you havnt looked already try the trailer sections on expedition portals and ih8mud, there you will find a wealth of information,

Any plans would be appreciated.

Right now I am gathering information and keeping my eyes peeled on craigslist for any for sale.

I will be taking notes from expedition portals and ih8mud.

The funny thing is I didn't know what they would run because I don't have a clue what the fully built units go for now. So now that I am seeing the prices I can come up with my own solution.

I was also looking at trailers made from the beds of wranglers but like these better.

Last edited:
Back