• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M101A to off road camper

i know i left out alot of the little details but i should show you how i addressed the support legs
the square tubes that were used for the tailgate frame and legs were also drilled every couple of inches so i could pin em and then screw out the feet to the right hieght did i say simple
IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

travel position
IMG_2226-1.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

That's sweeeeeet! What did that tent set you back?

1 arm and a leg............ 3 grand it was worth every penny..well built ,quality is top notch.. fernando at camping labs was absolutly the best to deal with .. it took me months to decide on a tent for this trailer..i could have have bought cheap chineese knock offs for 800 bucks and they may have worked for a while .. but i figure that this thing is built for expedition travel, the jungles and desserts and crap in africa .. so im sure it will stand up to anything that i can throw at it do it right . do it once

Thats such a sweet setup. Looking fwd to seeing it.

Bryan, do you have the option of setting up the tent without the changing room and complete awning? I can see you parasailing off Murphy's hogback on White Rim.. do i get to keep what stays behind? :laugh3:

hey john .. unfortunately no.. unlike the globe trotter which can be zipped and unzipped .. but the globe trotter is smaller . if were just me and the girlfriend i may have bought that one, but for the 2 or 3 trips a year that the girls are with me the extra room is much needed..

i have an upholsterer buddy who is gonna look at customizing mine and maybe adding some zippers so that i can remove mine...

i bought a basket today that i am gonna mount on the tounge .. it should hold my propane tank , a deep cycle battery and maybe 3 jerry cans .. i have a feeling im gonna need to carry some more fuel

Question about your tent. Do you ever feel it is too wide? I can't tell from looking at the pics but how far does it stick out over the widest part of your trailer.

Looking at your pics has me seriously thinking of going this route instead of an offroad tear drop and my ARB tent on top of that. I need more sleeping space than just the ARB and the annex doesn't give you enough room to sleep a couple of kids.

Question about your tent. Do you ever feel it is too wide? I can't tell from looking at the pics but how far does it stick out over the widest part of your trailer.

Looking at your pics has me seriously thinking of going this route instead of an offroad tear drop and my ARB tent on top of that. I need more sleeping space than just the ARB and the annex doesn't give you enough room to sleep a couple of kids.

too wide ??? no the tent when folded is 1'' narrower than my fenders
you can never have too much room when the kids are along
my 2 daughters the girlfreind and her 2 daughters .. beilieve me you need the room .. when you get stuck in the rain for 3 or 4 days its really nice

there are times when i wish it were smaller. cuz some of the lakes i go to there is not much room but i have not had a problem yet

fully set up i need about 10' x 14' the fly can be set up in different configurations, or not at all if there is no rain,, fully deployed the fly is close to 20' x 20 '

when you think about it the ARB still takes up a fair amount of room to set up, it still hangs off the side of the trailer 4' but you dont need the ground to be as flat.. and only takes minutes to set up.. mine takes me just under 10 mins in the dark...

Last edited:
Man I want to do one! Maybe i should buy that trailer off of IllianaXJ! :D It would be a long while before i could afford a tent like that. $1200 on bumpers tapped me out!

Super Setup! Looks Great!

Whats the weight of the final project? geared up and all?

beats me ??? i know i have added a bout 250# in steel the tent wieghs about 160# maybe 1000 lbs plus gear.. maybe another 500 lbs that wood be food, beer, water, coolers, fishin gear, trolling motor, battery, chainsaw, it adds up quickly.. i should go find some weigh scales and get a real figure ...........

Really? 1000# sounds a touch light. But, if i knew that why would i have asked? :p

Hows the jeep do towing? Noticeable difference in MPG? Highway speeds ok?

Still looks like great fun!

Really? 1000# sounds a touch light. But, if i knew that why would i have asked? :p

Hows the jeep do towing? Noticeable difference in MPG? Highway speeds ok?

Still looks like great fun!

well .. 1000# is a good guess i might be off a bit. i will try and get it weighed one day..

the jeep is a tractor. towing on the highway i dont know its there.. thats at 105 kph. thats almost 70 mph, mpg not a big difference at all . hardly noticeable.. on the back roads and trails the pintle hitch clunks a bit.. it dosnt bother me.. some peeps hate the noise .. i dont think its that bad. and yes it is lots o fun

hey guys i got a question, every time I see somebody make an offroad trailer I always notice that they install a deep cycle battery of some kind to the trailer. What are you guys using these for?

hey guys i got a question, every time I see somebody make an offroad trailer I always notice that they install a deep cycle battery of some kind to the trailer. What are you guys using these for?

mostly for lighting. but some guys run refridgerators ,microwaves, pumps for showers . anything you can run 12 volt power on.. . edgestar makes a 12 volt kegerator.. ice cold draft beer ..oh yeah !

Back