• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm Upgrade teraflex vs rock krawler

On a side note.......
Do any of you that run long arm kits or radius arm kits have excessive dive while braking? Or squat while accelerating?
I was considering a TnT kit, but my rig is also my DD. On road handleing is very important to me (I drive fast:laugh3: ). So what say you?

Kyung

It depends on what you consider excessive. I have the TnT kit and have noticed a little bit more dive/squat, maybe a little more than an extra 1/2" in either direction. It is a little more pronounced with the sway bar disco'd.

So far I really like the kit, there are few little things that need to worked out in the setup but over all very happy off road.

As for on road...... another story.The axle needs to be set up with the camber at about 4-4.5*, stock should be somewhere close to 6.5*. Setup like that can cause some harder steering. Setup closer to stock will give you horrible DL vibes due to the pinion angle being off so bad. You can install manual hubs but that is a pretty big expence to try and cover up a design flaw.

You also really need to pay attention to your TB length. If you are to far (3/4") either way you may encounter some rubbing of components. Like driveshaft on UCA or exhaust or LCA rubbing on unibody. Just a few things I have noticed since my install about a month ago.

Aaron

Last edited:
still bashing rk stuff huh wil, ahhhh things never change around here lol lol i don't know whether i should be saying thats a good thing or a bad thing though

ill put a huge vote in for rock krawler, its half the cost of any other la upgrade kit on the market (minus the teraflex stuff) and it performs as good if not better than the rest on the market.

do a search for my name you'll see tons of posts by me and a lot more people under me supporting rock krawlers product. Mostly anything bad about rock krawler you hear is from gen I. forget all that crap, its under new ownership and the new owners are cool as anything.

Hey rob since when is there a back order on rock krawlers stuff, i've been shipping stuff out all week and i havn't heard of any back orders at all. My stuff has been shipping same week, so i don't know who you are hearing that from, but whoever it is, is giving you some bs i think.

The way i see it is like this
rk upgrade 420
rk skid plate 180
total price 600
price of tnt 900 something i forget the exact price
that leaves me with 300 dollars to do whatever i want with and i could think of a lot of things to do with 300 dollars. Plus i don't know if tnt carries a lifetime warranty but rk sure does.

just some food for though, like i said do a search for my name on JU, JF or here and you'll see my thoughts and everyone else's positive thoughts on rk's products.

you really can't beat rk's product, just watch out for the rk haters, though the haters are starting to be less and less after people actually try rk products instead of just web wheeling............

Matt

My rig is my Daily Driver. I've run the Full Traction kit (4 link) for two years and it's really held up well and handles excellent on the road. I've recently switched over to the TnT kit (radius arm) and it feels exactly the same on the street. I'll be taking it on its maiden off road voyage (with the TnT kit) this weekend to test its off pavement prowess.

I must not be the average wheeler, because the FT kit did cause clearance issues for me. This is the Soup Bowl on the Rubicon a couple of years ago. I am hung up on the brackets:

soup_bowl.jpg

Here's a good underside shot of the whole kit a little more to the right on the same obstacle (aka Soup Kitchen):

underside.jpg

Here's the result of lower control arms being used and having clearance issues:

CAasslider.jpg

Here's the clearance with the TnT kit:

pass-side.jpg

d-side.jpg

Many of the same people chime in on these kit/long arm debates. I would really like to see their rigs in action to back up all of the opinions and advice.

For Jeepspeed type driving, a 4 link is advantageous over a radius are type design because of the strength in control of the axle rotation at speed. For slow rock crawling, I see no difference between a raduis or 4 link.

You can't come close to the strength of the skid of the TnT, sorry. The FT kit uses the stock crossmember, and mine was smashed like a can. The other kits use the stock x-member as well.

For what it's worth, I've been wheeling a while, and have seen many different types of rigs and many different trails throughout CA. In all my years on the trail, I have NEVER seen either the RK kit of the Tera kit out there. I've seen the RK on two WJ's at our local meet and greet. I wouldn't touch it, period.

Let the experts chime in [again]. I'm done :)

All this bickering makes me glad I run drop brackets hehe. hasta Either way If I was gonna shell out the big bucks for long arms I would go with tnt no doubt--------------Kyle

yep i'll continue to bash RK i don't have a problem with it.i don't like their three link set up .it allows for to much axle wrap on the passenger side for street use.under hard braking or accelerating (in 4 wheel) there is nothing on the passenger side to keep the axle from rotating.you are relying on the single upper arm on the drivers side to control the torque being exerted on a tire some 3 feet away.no thanks

the only reason i know a radius arm is not as responsive as a three link or true 4 link is because i radius arm links the upper and lower links of the axle together.when an axle flexes it wants to twist.a 4 link and 3 link allow for this a radius can only allow flex in the bushings to achieve this.thats why if you do run radius arms you should use a factory bushing at the axle to help this problem.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has the RE kit and he has been happy with his decision. I wouldn't buy it personally.....but it seems to work well for him.

IMG_6931.jpg

I think capt. nemo's pics say a lot.....and the fact that he has direct experience with both kits is pretty cool. Most people just praise the stuff that they own because they think undoubtedly they made the right decision when they spent their money.

We seem to beat to this horse around here once a week..... hasta . Sometimes I chime in....sometimes I don't.

I'll let the wheeling pictures speak praises about the TNT kit. Go check out www.projectxj.com for lots more. I've run more than 15 trails since I put them on. No complaints here.....and I think that is plenty of real world experience. :)

IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

matt6669 said:
Hey rob since when is there a back order on rock krawlers stuff, i've been shipping stuff out all week and i havn't heard of any back orders at all. My stuff has been shipping same week, so i don't know who you are hearing that from, but whoever it is, is giving you some bs i think.

rk upgrade 420
rk skid plate 180
total price 600
that leaves me with 300 dollars to do whatever i want with and i could think of a lot of things to do with 300 dollars. Plus i don't know if tnt carries a lifetime warranty but rk sure does.

Wel that info on a back order was directly from Heathers mouth as well as Jeramy's mouth at Rockkrawler. I will Guarantee that RK did NOT send out a front kit for over 2 weeks and I still doubt they are! I was told by both of them that they switched laser shops and the setup and tooling time is taking for ever. They have hundreds of orders on the ground cluttering up thier whole shop (infront of machines and such even) all waiting on just a few brackets each. I will say though that that info was on Friday. so in the past 3 buisness days they may have gotten hundreds of brackets in to complete the back orders and may have new stock in now, but thats pushing it i would say. I will give them Much better Communication then Creasey off road! As Creasey was just fishing me along for 2 weeks and keep telling me oh its on its way, or that dont worry I have strings there and I will get it sent out tomorrow.. When in fact RK didnt have even one bracket in shop for anyone. I SURE HOPE your not pulling that crap with your customers. I am not saying you are, but please if they still are not avail dont go wasting your customers time luering them on when its not avail for weeks as they did to me.

I will drop a price now that I have gotten my kit and that I dont forsee any warranty needs ever from full traction.

750$ total got me vertually just as much in Full traction as it would have RK!
*Front 4 link setup with FK! heims(those are 80-100 each if you price em)
*brackets for the 4 links that tie to the stock or similier skid.
*Track bar setup and bracket and cross brace (this thing is better designed and stronger then the RK setup by the way)
*Drop pitman arm
*Front bump stop ext (lower solid alum style)
*ext front and rear brake lines
*rear grade 8 ubolts and hardware
*full rear NICE leaf bushings for shackles also

so tell me what that would cost through RK?

I am not trying to bash RK thier customer service is still great! BUT not so much when talking of thier some of thier vendors (like Creasey)... He charged me a 15$ refund charge when he told me it would ship this day or that day and after 2 wks of not having any forseeable ship date DIRECTLY FROM RK. Thats horrible service!

I would buy thier kit if I didnt know about Full traction. And I almost did. I would also buy a TnT kit if I wanted better ground clearance! But I didnt. I bought what has been Proven to survive with a unibody structure in real world race rigs. I compimised some things for others. Thats the nature in lifts....

Every one if different in some way and just pick whats right for you or you like best.......

fatwreck said:
Most people just praise the stuff that they own because they think undoubtedly they made the right decision when they spent their money.
that is hitting the nail on the head!

Capt. Nemo said:
underside.jpg

Here's the result of lower control arms being used and having clearance issues:

CAasslider.jpg

I am not bashing I am not! Not I say... But have to ask a honest question here. I saw the line you took on that hill that laid you over. Don't you think that a radius arm would have unloaded fully and created a similer situation? And those arms are rubed up some. Did it cause any future damage or just cosmetic? Again I am only asking cause I can get it from the "horses mouth" rather then a owner of a company that hate's the other company's design :lecture: . thanks

Wil Badger said:
yep i'll continue to bash RK i don't have a problem with it.i don't like their three link set up .it allows for to much axle wrap on the passenger side for street use.under hard braking or accelerating (in 4 wheel) there is nothing on the passenger side to keep the axle from rotating.you are relying on the single upper arm on the drivers side to control the torque being exerted on a tire some 3 feet away.no thanks

the only reason i know a radius arm is not as responsive as a three link or true 4 link is because i radius arm links the upper and lower links of the axle together.when an axle flexes it wants to twist.a 4 link and 3 link allow for this a radius can only allow flex in the bushings to achieve this.thats why if you do run radius arms you should use a factory bushing at the axle to help this problem.

I don't under stand how you have axle wrap on just on side of a solid axle.

tompatjr said:
I don't under stand how you have axle wrap on just on side of a solid axle.

Well I will say that for a radius arm style you better hope you get some deflection in the rubber axle side control arm bushings as well as some axle distortion/flex. I have never had it happen personally, but have seen it happen and of course read about it happening and the odd that it would... Most with a larger tube more rigid axle like a D60 will not see the torsional twist that a D30 has, and has a better chance of tearing a axle mount off due to the axle housing not allowing the twist that is needed for more sever articulation in the front end with a radius arm design. So that alone tells ya something..

Its funny that RK tells you that you never want to run a very strong housing with a radius arm cause it doesnt allow the housing to twist while articulating. Yet they are ok with only one arm on a axle that they just explained will twist. :gag:

ROBERTK said:
Well I will say that for a radius arm style you better hope you get some deflection in the rubber axle side control arm bushings as well as some axle distortion/flex. I have never had it happen personally, but have seen it happen and of course read about it happening and the odd that it would... Most with a larger tube more rigid axle like a D60 will not see the torsional twist that a D30 has, and has a better chance of tearing a axle mount off due to the axle housing not allowing the twist that is needed for more sever articulation in the front end with a radius arm design. So that alone tells ya something..

Its funny that RK tells you that you never want to run a very strong housing with a radius arm cause it doesnt allow the housing to twist while articulating. Yet they are ok with only one arm on a axle that they just explained will twist. :gag:

yep and i see you understand what i'm talking about

matt6669 said:
rk upgrade 420
rk skid plate 180
total price 600

Matt

I thought I heard they discontinued the skid plate.

-Mike

ROBERTK said:
I am not bashing I am not! Not I say... But have to ask a honest question here. I saw the line you took on that hill that laid you over. Don't you think that a radius arm would have unloaded fully and created a similer situation? And those arms are rubed up some. Did it cause any future damage or just cosmetic? Again I am only asking cause I can get it from the "horses mouth" rather then a owner of a company that hate's the other company's design :lecture: . thanks

I think I need to clarify my last post. I in no way want to come across as if I'm putting down the FT kit. It is very well designed and very beefy. It worked well in the rocks and on the street. My biggest issue was clearance. I wanted more and the TnT kit seemed to be the best bang for the buck. For MY CURRENT NEEDS, the TnT kit was a better choice over the FT kit. I will be heading up to the snow this weekend, and will be going out a few times locally until the first part of June when I'll hit the 'Con again. The coming trips will let me know if the TnT kit was worth it or not.

As far as the pic of my flop, it was a retarded line in the first place. It wouldn't have mattered what suspension was on the Jeep, it would have gone over (I posted it to show that I have put my vehicle and the FT kit through its paces, so what I have to say might bear a little bit of validity.) That was the first time out with the FT kit and everything was stiff. The springs unloaded so quickly that I didn't have time to react at all. There was no indication that I was going over until I was on my side with broken glass all over the place. The scrub marks on the arms are all cosmetic. I've come down hard on the arms a few times, and they've not even hinted at bending.

E

as far as im aware they are still making the skid plate. I just bought one for myself like 2 weeks ago, still waiting to put it on.

i know we also just took an order for a la kit, and skid plate, along with hd aa sye and six states ds and rk was saying the guy (in oregon) will have it like the 23rd soooooo, they might of gotten caught up i don't know. If i hear anything more ill let you know. Thats strange that i hear that about creasy's i usually hear good things about them but i definietly agree you shouldn't of been treated that way. Sucks when companies give you the run around. To answer your question, we always try to inform our customers whether or not stuff is back ordered and if it is, we let them know right away when we find out.

Wil, i don't know buddy, like i said i drive my truck on the roads every single day, and i drive in jersey, and the roads are horrible here. My truck drives like a dream, soooo, either im not hitting big enough pot holes or i must have a super duper kit from rock krawler that makes it handle unlike any other triangulated 3 link.............

I really like the value of the RK 3 link long arm. The design is great especially when you truss the front axle, and re-enforce the one upper mount.

Well this debate has taught me that I really want the TnT LA upgrade. I have been running the the RE 3.5" and have been looking for a 6" LA kit. After reading this and seeing the pictures I must say the TnT LA kit is the way to go. Definetly a better setup in my opinion.

Ray

Back