• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep fell off tow bed. What can I expect now?

First off I would like to chime in and say. See what they say on Monday. No sense getting too worked up until they really give you something to be worked up over. I know the vehicle had alot of setimental value and it is very frustrating and upsetting to have this happen. However assuming the tow company is gonna try to screw you right off the bat is just gonna stress you out. You said the Manager wouldn't be in till monday so see what he says.
For the guy who had someone tow him without insurance on his truck. Tell him to fix your land rover or you will report him to the state for operating a tow truck without insurance. The fines and legal troubles would be WAY more than he would spend fixing your truck.
A little free advice for everyone. I used to be a tow truck driver. We work very very long hours and alot of us don't get paid near what we are worth. There were times I worked pretty much 72 hours straight with maybe an hour nap here and there. When a driver comes out to get you off the road at night they probably just got woke out of a sound sleep threw on clothes and ran out to help. It is a very demanding job and very hard to do. I have the utmost respect for a tow driver who has done it for ages. That is a very dedicated person.
Now for the advice. Tow drivers are human. As such they all screw up on occasion. We truct them to know how to hook up every model of car on the road and to do it right without hurting our babies. Car makers seem to have forgotten that all vehicles need to be towed on occasion and love to remove suitable tow points from the vehicles. I have laid under a car at 3am next to a 70mph freeway scared out of my mind trying to find the DAMN HOOK UP point :). Be patient with your driver and friendly to them and they are more likely to be careful with your baby. They are tired and get yelled at way more than you think and will welcome the friendlyness. If you break down at a gas station have a cold coke waiting for them on a hot day. There were days I couldnt even stop for food or a drink or so much as to piss for as many as 10 hours it gets that busy. If they look flustered tell them to take their time or make them catch their breath and tell them to just say they had a "picky customer" they will appreciate trust me.
Also a few tips about when they tow your car. 4wd CANNOT be towed with any wheels on the ground. It must be flatbedded. However they can use a sling truck if they have dollies to put under the other wheels. They work fine and will not damage your vehicle. Also some drivers use the big winch to get your vehicle on the flatbed and then rely on it to hold it there and just strap down the back end. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. They must use a 4 point tie down and the winch doesnt count for 2. Make them throw straps or chains on the front and backend to properly secure it. The guy who lost his jetta it sound like your winch cable popped off the front end. even if it was in park with the brake on it would have flown off. I have seen winches pop off many times and always had straps on the front end as well or I would have lost several cars.
Sorry to ramble just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.

darjevon said:
Yes but its in San Bruno, CA - the tow truck guy was uninsured. I have NO WAY to get my money back to replace it. I'll be able to straighten it with a lot of work, but, needless to say, I'm extremely pissed. I guess he just doesn't know the difference between a winch bumper and a factory brush guard. Maybe he just needs his all 6 of his tires slashed.

The thing's just gorgeous though - the beluga black paint looks new, and it only has 125k. It has two TINY dents in the drivers side door - and guess what? The guy threw in a brand new door painted beluga black. It's perfect, bodywise, except for a tweaked bumper mount.
If he has a Ford tow truck, get a little drill bit the smaller the better. Drill 2 very small holes as high up as you can into his head lights. Take a small tube and some gas, then put the tube into a small container with the gas in it and the other end in the hole. Fill the lens up untill the gas just touches the bulb. When he turns on his lights BLAMO :flame: It'll blow the hell out of the front of his truck!
American Justice

darjevon said:
Yes but its in San Bruno, CA - the tow truck guy was uninsured. I have NO WAY to get my money back to replace it. I'll be able to straighten it with a lot of work, but, needless to say, I'm extremely pissed. I guess he just doesn't know the difference between a winch bumper and a factory brush guard. Maybe he just needs his all 6 of his tires slashed.

The thing's just gorgeous though - the beluga black paint looks new, and it only has 125k. It has two TINY dents in the drivers side door - and guess what? The guy threw in a brand new door painted beluga black. It's perfect, bodywise, except for a tweaked bumper mount.

Now I'm the last person to suggest suing someone but if the tow truck driver is not going to man up and take responsibility for his negligence then I'd consider taking him to court and getting your money that way. Seriously.

:piratefla

Little update, they're offering $1500 for it. My mom is pissed, but is thinking about caving in and taking that offer rather than suing.

I'm trying to convince her to at least consult with a no win no pay lawyer to see what the chances of us getting more would be.

Tell them no way, look up the price of the same year jeep. same about mileage an so on... Talk to a lawyer don't let them screw you..Look in to the law about towing on a flatbed in your state, see what the law says...Do your leg work before you cave in..My jeep is a 89 an i can get more than that for it stock.... Sorry for your lost of your jeep

Mastodon said:
Little update, they're offering $1500 for it. My mom is pissed, but is thinking about caving in and taking that offer rather than suing.

I'm trying to convince her to at least consult with a no win no pay lawyer to see what the chances of us getting more would be.

If I read your first post correctly, the Jeep is still not running correct?

$1500 sounds very generous for a non-running Jeep. I'm assuming you had some money saved up for the repairs that you were about to have the Jeep towed off to perform. Take the $1500 and that, and buy another one.

I worked in insurance as an adjuster and unfortunately "sentimental value" of a vehicle doesn't add to its actual value.

scottmcneal said:
So if it was a 15.00 dollar part it is only worth that? what the hell is that?

i'm not sure what you're asking here, but yes, a part that costs $15 is only worth $15. Unless someone is willing to pay more, but I can't think of many people that would pay $1500 for a non-running Jeep.

so then he should start it an screw the tow truck company an driver, because he was DUMB to move it before TIEING it down RIGHT...Put a batt in it too see if you can get it to run, pull the plugs an put small amount of oil in each hole an let set awhile, then turn motor over by hand to lube rings, then use starter an check your spark.

scottmcneal said:
so then he should start it an screw the tow truck company an driver, because he was DUMB to move it before TIEING it down RIGHT...Put a batt in it too see if you can get it to run, pull the plugs an put small amount of oil in each hole an let set awhile, then turn motor over by hand to lube rings, then use starter an check your spark.

If he can get it to run, thats a great idea. However, I'm assuming that getting the Jeep to run is above his skill level- thats how we got to this situation to begin with. Jeep wasn't working, and was being towed to a mechanic's shop to be repaired.

Keep in mind my feelings on this come from an insurance background. I used to have these arguments on a daily basis. How much you love your car, or that you didn't file an injury claim, or that the other person did something incredibly stupid doesn't change what a car is worth... those are all seperate issues. The idea of paying out for an accident is getting the customer back to the position they were in before the loss occurred. In this case, the repair costs exceed the value of the Jeep, and it gets totalled. The Jeep wasn't running when the loss occurred, so IMO that is the "condition" that the Jeep's value will be evaluated at.

To the threadstarter: it may be worth your while to get the Jeep appraised by a professional... this will give you the value of it in the pre accident, as-is, non running condition. You run the risk of the value comming back at less than what they're offering however. As I stated, I think $1500 for a non running Jeep is pretty good; I'd cut my losses.

I agree that a new car's value is what it is......You can just get a new car to replace your "destroyed" new car.

But for older vehicles, it's increasingly difficult to find the same vehicle running and being in the same condition as your "destroyed" vehicle. I understand in his case it wasn't running, but nobody had to know that. He just wanted a tow. He can do whatever he wants, regardless if it runs or not.

I say take the 1500 and the jeep. Not just 1500, that is a little low by itself. But decent if you get to keep the wrecked one. Then keep the wrecked one for parts or sell it off. Get another one for 1500 or less. I have personally bought two XJ's for less than that.

Just for fun I searched on autotrader around richmond, since you don't say exactly where you are. And found a lot of them for a decent prices.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...ault_sort=priceDESC&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=

Blaine B. said:
I agree that a new car's value is what it is......You can just get a new car to replace your "destroyed" new car.

But for older vehicles, it's increasingly difficult to find the same vehicle running and being in the same condition as your "destroyed" vehicle. I understand in his case it wasn't running, but nobody had to know that. He just wanted a tow. He can do whatever he wants, regardless if it runs or not.

I'm just saying that comes into effect when determining the value of the Jeep. You wouldn't pay as much for a non running one as a running one would you?

KSXJ said:
I say take the 1500 and the jeep. Not just 1500, that is a little low by itself. But decent if you get to keep the wrecked one. Then keep the wrecked one for parts or sell it off. Get another one for 1500 or less. I have personally bought two XJ's for less than that.

Just for fun I searched on autotrader around richmond, since you don't say exactly where you are. And found a lot of them for a decent prices.

this would actually be a good "negotiation" for you to try. at the very least you could then recoup a bit from the salvage yard for the jeep, or part it out yourself and make some cash.

Mastodon said:

Who is offering $1500 - the tow shop owner or their insurance?

Have you tried getting a price on a simular Cherokee?
I found this one: Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:30 pm Post subject: 88 Jeep Cherokee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its an 88 jeep cherokee with a 6" lift, it has 33x12.50 on it, american racing wheels. It has 193000 miles on it. Is a 4.0 automatic. New stock rearend, distributor, battery, fuel filter, starter, exhaust, and i am sure i am leaving out some other stuff. Starts up everytime and runs great. I am selling because i just recently got hit with child support and have to sell some of my toys. Asking 1900. Clean title.

So did you ever get some pics of the wreckage?

Back