• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep fell off tow bed. What can I expect now?

Mastodon, you need to take the initiative here. You're crying the blues in this thread, but have shown no effort to determine the value of your now totaled Jeep. It doesn't matter what I, or others here, say with regard to what the value was prior to the accident. The concept is simple, and you're in a better position to recover in these circumstances than you would if hit by an uninsured driver. But, you must take the initiative and build a record of what your Jeep was worth, on a retail basis, prior to the accident. Data copied from the Kelly Blue Book web site, or other reputable sources, including photographs of the interior, tires, etc, to show the condition as it existed, need to be made. See if your Mom's insurance company would send an adjuster out to help with an appraisal. Document the mechanical problems the Jeep was known to have, and any estimates to repair. You were in the process of transporting the Jeep to a mechanic; what discussions have you had with them, regarding the problem? The point is, can you honestly say the Jeep was in otherwise "good" condition prior to the accident? Do you know, with reasonable certainty, that a complete re-build was not required? As an example, a bad fuel pump would render the Jeep useless, but would not reduce the value from "good" to "poor"; you have to document your assertion of whatever value you placed on it. Even though "they" are 100% at fault for your loss, it's not reasonable for you to expect them to just accept your statement that it was in "excellent" condition before.
Lastly, does the asserted value of your Jeep fall within the limits of your local small claims court? No lawyers required, but you would need written documentation and good photos of before and after to prevail. Tell us what documentation you've put together to support what value. See if you can convince us your loss is $3800. If you can convince us, you should be able to convince a small claims judge as well. And remember, small claims' courts are predispositioned in favor of the "little" guy (you).

Guess I type too slow. Sorry to see you cave.

Last edited:
ChipsXJ said:
He was repairing it to running condition.....I think they should compensate as if the jeep was running.

If he repaired it he would have had what appears to have been a great XJ.....but due to the tow drivers irresponsibility...that is no longer an option. Not the owners fault...that is all on the tow company.

If you get a lawyer you will probably come out with less cash in your pocket....but I would be pressing for what ever the jeep would appraise out at while in running condition.

no they shouldn't. unless they're taking the cash he was going to spend on repairing it. he still has the repair money in his pocket.

Mastodon said:
We took the $2,250. The manager came across as a real nice guy who really regretted that this happened.

They ended up firing the driver by the way.

Good to hear that you came out some what decent. If you and your family are happy with the deal, that is all that matters. Hope you find another ride for your own soon.

Mastodon said:
We took the $2,250. The manager came across as a real nice guy who really regretted that this happened.

They ended up firing the driver by the way.
$2250 plus the money you have saved up for repairs should put you in a good spot to pick up a decent XJ.

Any plans to part this one out? I find myself in need of some interior pieces.
devillook.gif

as for the "not running" condition. tow trucks usually aren't towing perfectly fine vehicles around anyways or else they'd drive to where they needed to be of their own accord. saying they won't use kbb to price it is crazy. Mileage and overal vehicle condition is the most important thing that should concern them. for all anyone knows, maybe it was a cheap 20 dollar part that was keeping it from running.

cklaus said:
as for the "not running" condition. tow trucks usually aren't towing perfectly fine vehicles around anyways or else they'd drive to where they needed to be of their own accord. saying they won't use kbb to price it is crazy. Mileage and overal vehicle condition is the most important thing that should concern them. for all anyone knows, maybe it was a cheap 20 dollar part that was keeping it from running.

true

however the original post leads me to believe this jeep had been sitting for some time, his dad bought a new car and he was saving up for repairs.

Back