• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep fell off tow bed. What can I expect now?

Finally got some pics.

014_12A.jpg

:rant2:

015_13A.jpg

016_14A.jpg

017_15A.jpg

018_16A.jpg

019_17A.jpg

:(

020_18A.jpg

021_19A.jpg

022_20A.jpg

023_21A.jpg

024_22A.jpg

025_23A.jpg

026_24A.jpg

So what do you guys think? It seems to be mostly body work to me.
Dunno if I should be concerned about the license plate being shown in the pictures. I noticed in alot of pictures of vehicles they blur out the numbers.
Edit: Those pictures are freakin' huge and this forum dosn't edit them down. Let me know if I should take them down or resize them or something.

Holy crap that's worse than I thought.

I'll take the driver's side fender, bumper, and wiper arms please.

I'd demand more. You don't have to accept the price they want to give you initially. Screw with them a little. After all, they screwed with you BIG TIME. AKA, dropping your Jeep off of a tow truck.......!

That sucks dude, i bet there is some guys in your area to see if they could get it too run with you helping them if you asked...Why did your dad part it for, it looked real clean on the driver side, the pass side was just as clean... time to call for some help...Come on guys, HELP this guy out

that unibody is toast if you ask me

unless you're ready to hack it apart and make a buggy, i'd let it go.

A little bondo and you're all set. Just kidding - it's trashed. You'll never get the roof lined up enough to put a windshield back in it.

Be firm about what you want and not angry or screaming or pissed off. Understand that crap happens and you are simply expecting them to be reasonable and adequately compensate you. Sentimental value or playing the sympathy card does not help you here. I would ask for blue book value plus keeping the vehicle. Then put an add in the paper and sell the vehicle for maybe $500 or fix it up as a trail-only rig.

I would let them know if they are not going to be reasonable, that you're going to call the local news/radio/tv station and tell them your story. Mention that your pictures prominently show their company name and phone number. Better Business Bureau is generally a joke, but call them anyway. Maybe the threat of trashing their reputation will give you some bargaining power. Check if the company and driver were properly licensed, bonded, insured, or whatever.

Last edited:
I'm not an attourney or insurance adjuster, but I do deal with people trying to get more than ther fair share due to accidents involving our equipment at the place I work. I've also been low balled when I was in an accident that wasn't my fault, so I've seen both sides. It's not the end of the world, but live and learn from this incident and don't just accept what ever their first offer. I might be wrong, but if you look up it's value on NADA and look at low-end prices it still books around $2500.00. That would be the very minimum I'd accept. Just because it wasn't running, doesn't mean it was junk or give them the right to low ball you or your mother. I'd ask your mother call her insurance co for her vehicle that she drives and ask them for some advice. I'd also try to get it resolved without getting an attourney involved, that's just money out of your pocket that you could use towards your next car. It's a non-injury accident, so there isn't any lotery to be won here. I tried to look the company up on the Better Business Buerea web site just to see if they have other simular complaints against them , but it came up with nothing. Keep calm and good luck with this.

Last edited:
scottmcneal said:
That sucks dude, i bet there is some guys in your area to see if they could get it too run with you helping them if you asked...Why did your dad part it for, it looked real clean on the driver side, the pass side was just as clean... time to call for some help...Come on guys, HELP this guy out
It was being towed to a local shop to get it running again actually. Yeah, ironic twist of fate right there.

They offered 2,250 today. My parents are fine with that. Do you think we should push for 2,500?

$2250 as long as you get to keep the Jeep. Then part it out and the money from the parting out, the money you were going to spend on it, and the settlement buy another one.

We don't have a way of transporting it, and my mom already said that she dosn't want another broken down vehicle sitting in the driveway as the eyesore.

Could we tell them to tow it to a junker for us and have the junker part it out?

if they're towing it, they'll want money for that

take the 2250 and go.

87baseomatic said:
My old vw jetta fell of the back of a flatbed about 4 years ago at about 30mph going up a hill. Driver didn't secure it properly, left it in neutral with the handbrake disengaged. I was less than a 1/8 mile from my destination too. Rear 1/4 panels were folded in half but from the back doors forward the car was fine. I actually drove it home from where it happened.

Wait a minute hows that make since? if it was drivable why was it on a flatbed in the firstplace? somethins fishy here.

Excellent

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Good

"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Fair

"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

Poor

"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value. Kelley Blue Book does not attempt to report a value on a "poor" vehicle because the value of cars in this category varies greatly.

Based on the non running condition, I would say this jeep qualifies as poor. No KBB value.

He was repairing it to running condition.....I think they should compensate as if the jeep was running.

If he repaired it he would have had what appears to have been a great XJ.....but due to the tow drivers irresponsibility...that is no longer an option. Not the owners fault...that is all on the tow company.

If you get a lawyer you will probably come out with less cash in your pocket....but I would be pressing for what ever the jeep would appraise out at while in running condition.

this seems pretty simple to me.
it was in good shape, just not running. It was off to the mechanics to be made running, I assume then that you know what was wrong with it, if not, have the mechanic diagnose it.

take the fair value subtract the cost of repairs to make it running=settlement.
that seems fair and equitable to all parties.

We took the $2,250. The manager came across as a real nice guy who really regretted that this happened.

They ended up firing the driver by the way.

Back