• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home built long arms

Haha, sorry.. our local convenience store still sells crackers in barrels...

wow... I leave my post for a couple of hours, and this is what I get... a Hijack about chips.....

You guys are making me hungry!!!!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

but seriously.....

why does everybody insist on using Chromolly, or DOM? Why not just use 1/4" steel tubing? isn't it just as strong?

tayman said:
wow... I leave my post for a couple of hours, and this is what I get... a Hijack about chips.....

You guys are making me hungry!!!!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

but seriously.....

why does everybody insist on using Chromolly, or DOM? Why not just use 1/4" steel tubing? isn't it just as strong?

Screw tech were talking bout food here.:conceited

Zac- Try moving into civilization like the west coast, we have lots of cool things out here that you might like. ;)

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
Screw tech were talking bout food here.:conceited

Zac- Try moving into civilization like the west coast, we have lots of cool things out here that you might like. ;)

-Alex

Just remember, pipe is for poop... tubing is for rolling

My mom was born in Califagotland/queerlafornia... she's crazy enough I don't want to, lol.. I love Alaska though.. plan on movin back up and gettin my grad degree up there

hey, hey... I started this thread, remember?

My mom was born in Califagotland/queerlafornia... she's crazy enough I don't want to, lol.. I love Alaska though.. plan on movin back up and gettin my grad degree up there

oh, and I'd love to get the hell away from this retarded state..... too much shit going on...

Last edited:
Who are you? lol..

But for structural integrity and safety...
1. Chromoly
2. DOM
3. HREW

Depends on how many times you want the stuff to last.. like a roll cage, if you want it to survive multiple rolls... DOM at least.. a lot of other stuff is just a one time bandaid..

Another way of searching is to scroll to the bottom of this thread,theres a recent thread on LA's there!

Who are you? lol..

Just some random guy........

Another way of searching is to scroll to the bottom of this thread,theres a recent thread on LA's there!

seen it already...

I said at the beginning of the thread, I've looked it up fairly thoroughly, but I want design/component opinions from you guys...

uncc civilengineer said:
Help us help you.... what are you wanting.. radius style, 3-link, full length uppers/lowers? How much lift are you planning on? what axle? are you going to build a cross member also or just links? info, info, info...

I already said some of this, I'm thinking radius style, with 4" to 5", and it'll be the D30, untill I can get a better axle. as for mounting I'm thinking about just welding it to the angle-iron plated frame.

thank you for that, very good reading. I'd like to basically do what he did. looks like I should be able to do it pretty cheaply huh?

Dont use acme thread and do use a flex joint like RE's.

Tubing is more expensive now... Also maybe it's easy for you but around here it's difficult to purchase tubing by the "foot"... Generally you have to purchase a stick (20' +/-). Or, you can purchase by the foot but it costs more... Not sure again of your area but around here 2" .25 wall DOM is approx. 7.35/foot with 1.75" .120wall DOM approx. 3.35/foot. I would also purchase the joints w/ the threaded stud already installed if you want to keep the cost down. IF money isnt too big of an issue I would run 1.25" rod ends for the Lowers and 1" for the uppers.. But rod ends, HMS, jam nuts, and hardware will add up really fast.

Basically what I'm trying to get at it... if it's done right I dont believe it's going to be "pretty cheap"... If you sit down and add it all up it's almost better to just purchase a kit.

Also that all depends on what style you go w/. A radius setup would be significantly cheaper then (4) full length arms, etc...

just my $0.02

I'd be building budget style radius arms... stock bushings at axle, and maybe Johnny joints at the frame side. I'd probably get JUST the Johnny joint, and weld a grade 8 bolt onto it for threads.

How much stronger is DOM tubing than regular steel tubing? and why wouldn't regular 2"ODx1/4"wall regular tubing be plenty strong enough?

RyanM said:
Because it/s a sheet of metal rolled, and seam welded :dunno:
So is DOM,it just been drawn after the weld to maintain wall thickness!

well, I don't think I care ALL that much about conistent wall thickness, and wouldn't hardening it make it more prone to cracking?

Heres some pics of mine,

i used the ends off my short arm and just bent some tube from there. 2" 1/4 wall. The only major thing you need to watch is make sure everything is spuare,(the arms are the same length, mounts are all straight, etc.). But its pretty simple.

47b7cc03b3127cceb3420b02f3b500000026100QbtmLZm2csS

47b7cc03b3127cceb3420c96328a00000026100QbtmLZm2csS

47b7cc03b3127cceb3420d2672a200000026100QbtmLZm2csS

Sorry for the mud :eyes:

Back