• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF Winch

pbandj said:
well that army supply stuff is a shame to hear, especially compared to what I am guessing it used to be when jeeps were first requisitioned by the army- a friend of mine has a 1942 mb flatfender military jeep with the original flat head motor, just totally stock and it is usually the rig used to get our cj's, yj's, xj's and rally cars unstuck or just plain go where they can't.... finest 4 wheel drive I've ever drove... I'll stop getting all sentimental now, guess I'll just have to put the blame where most of it's due- 8 YEARS OF CLINTON/DEMOCRATS DEFENSE DEPARTMENT CUTS!!! THAT'S why our humvees and troops weren't properly armored for the Iraqi war, not donald rumsfield or bush!
hmmmm amen, thanks for that.
i can speak to the MM winches that the Army gets but only based on my limited experince with them. we had them mounted(not sure what model or size) on the front of every humvee we had in the ghan, which can be a very rocky place( all you rock guys would love some of the river beds we drove up/down), and on numerous occasions while out patrolling we would have to use them to pull our combat laden humvee( 7-10 Army Rangers with equipment weighing in at a total of 200-350 lbs a peice.) up and over or through a section of falls and other rock type situations on a random goat trail in the mountains.. only twice did we ever have a malfunction and that was a line snap under load and an overheating unit...

also my sniper platoons quads had MM winches front and rear, and they got planty of use in the coastal swamps of southern georgia (playing around of course). again no serious malfunc..that i can remember...HTH...

RLTW
Maier

ChuckD said:
Look I'm in the AF, I have seen the crap the Army gets. Then half of the time they don't even get the crap that is crap. It just sits in supply for something big event. It's actually very comical on how the Army supply system works. I had tears pouring when the prior service Army guys who join the Air Guard and tell me all their field stories. Then if you want even a bigger laugh, listen to a Marine, those poor guys have even less.
...and yet we still do more with it than y'all

The funny part about this thread is the fact that Ramsey's "e" series, TMaxx, HF, MM, and any other chinease made winch are probably all made by the same factory and are just made with a few differences. The quality of one Chinease winch is no different than another in my book.

Saying HF is junk then suggesting another Chinease winch is kind of silly. If you are going to call it junk, then recommend an american made Ramsey or a Warn product not a Tmaxx, MM, or Ramsey rep8000e

ChuckD said:
Look I'm in the AF, I have seen the crap the Army gets. Then half of the time they don't even get the crap that is crap. It just sits in supply for something big event. It's actually very comical on how the Army supply system works. I had tears pouring when the prior service Army guys who join the Air Guard and tell me all their field stories. Then if you want even a bigger laugh, listen to a Marine, those poor guys have even less.
i gotta vouch for the supply system thing...most of the gear/parts reg. army gets is pretty good quality-when it's NEW! at my last duty station we trained nasty girls, and 99% of the time the crap they got was new, always newer than our stuff. from personal experience-we had a detroit desiel in a 113A2(yeah, we still got em') throw a rod. we got a rebuilt pack from 3rd shop when we sent the old one back. that one cracked a head a month later. so after we pulled the motor off the pack i noticed the heads had diffrent lot #s. when 3rd shop came to pick it up, i asked the e5 why? he said they used old parts that weren't broken on rebuilt motors... and 5 of the other rods from the lt's motor were already in a m548 motor!!!!! also rebuilt trannies with cheap plastic vent line tubes that melted on me twice; both times costing me long days replacing the pack. i know the hmmwvv winches are decent; prolly' cause they can't be rebuilt, lol. but i've seen prolly half the hydraulic winches on the 5 tons leak-out the housing, and we pretty much just rolled them out to do pm and bci inspections...

ChuckD said:
The only difference I see between HF and Milemarker is 4WP advertising. Throw a couple of hot babes and you score higher reliability ratings. I think we know what you are distracted by. :confused1

As far as the Army using Milemarker winches. Have you ever heard about the lowest bidder.

electric_winch9000.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3633

I say anyone probably should stay away from either one and look at the Ramsay's. They are at leat series wound motors and not Permanent magnet.

I find it hard to belive the army uses CONSUMER GRADE MILEMARKER stuff same specs, as you and i can buy. I seriously doubt it. Since when does the army buy dollar store shit, most military stuff is pretty heavy duty, and built to military specs per its use. They do not go out an look for a product and try to make it work, if price was the main factor they would use 3/4 and 1 ton pickups not Hummer H1's. The only reason we have a hummer at all is because the military has very high standards and specialized goals and specs. I am sorry but anyone saying the army uses milemarker consumer grade anything is full of crap.

motorcityxj said:
Since when does the army buy dollar store shit, most military stuff is pretty heavy duty, and built to military specs per its use.. I am sorry but anyone saying the army uses consumer grade anything is full of crap.

When the spec sheet is 20 pages long for a toilet seat that you can buy at HOME DEPOT for $15.00, and they pay $225.00...

Your tax dollars hard at work. I'd like to see military spec on the crapper flapper.

red91inWA said:
When the spec sheet is 20 pages long for a toilet seat that you can buy at HOME DEPOT for $15.00, and they pay $225.00...

Your tax dollars hard at work. I'd like to see military spec on the crapper flapper.

Ok there has been "accounting abnormalities" in the past and suppliers that overcharged and it slipped through the billing department (I forget the numbers but I think Halliburton overcharged something like 10-25 million a few months ago) what did the $225 toilet seats go on? A cargo plane, submarine, aircraft carrier, or was it in the local recruiting office? BIG differences. If it was for the mess hall or recruiting office then they overpaid. I don’t think anyone on NAXJA has the knowledge to say what is a good price for a toilet seat on an aircraft carrier or submarine.

GSequoia said:
How else are they gonna buy those black helicopters that follow you around if they don't have black funding money Red?

G...It would be the other way round. They Burn money like it's going out of style.

As for the Black Helicopters....They "DONT" exist. And neither does Groom Lake. :)

Whats a good price for a toilet seat on a submarine? OK. It's probably made of metal, not oak. $50.00.

And HOW...just HOW can you OVERCHARGE the government when they "AGREE" to pay these costs of goods that they accepted BIDS on ?
Our government officials are no smarter than those that hold GED's.

Haliburton is Old and Busted. ENRON F'd more people in this country and most of the guys are STILL out of jail.

C'MON.

Why should it be any diffrent. The shitters on aircraft carriers are the same industrial type toilets you find at the local Wal-Mart.

I think this whole thread boils down to being a penny pincher or thinking your smarter than everyone else. Maybe I took to many psych classes but I think it gives bargain hunters a HUGE HARD-ON to think "lol haaa haaa haa muuuaaah (dr. evil laugh)" .... "I so outsmarted those fools that bought high dollar warns Ramsey etc. I AM THE SMART ONE. YES ... THEY HAVE MORE MONEY THAN ME I AM SMARTER THOUGH!"

In all honesty, if you can’t afford a few hundred bucks more for a nice winch can you really afford to go wheeling? What are you going to do when you hydro lock the engine on your daily driver, or roll your jeep? Just some perspective.

Did you buy the cheapest house you could?
Did you go to the cheapest doctor?
Do you hire the cheapest lawyer?

Why don’t you get in line for one of the Chinese cars that are coming in 2007? Were you all about buying a yugo back in the 1980s, or did you jump on a Hyundai right away say ohh about 1990 when they totally sucked.

House=Yes
Doctor=Yes
Lawyer=Yes

The Marine Corps is pretty low budget. Infact I think that lowbudget wheelin' and the Corps were made for eachother. :)

motorcityxj said:
They do not go out an look for a product and try to make it work, if price was the main factor they would use 3/4 and 1 ton pickups not Hummer H1's. The only reason we have a hummer at all is because the military has very high standards and specialized goals and specs. I am sorry but anyone saying the army uses milemarker consumer grade anything is full of crap.
i concurr. i know for a fact the winch housings aern't the same thing; the mounts and freespool locks are different. i think the quality problem comes in the replacement parts. you know, like buying a torquer cam, and el cheapo lifters...i've seen at least 3 or 4 different replacement brands stamped on both m16 and 50cal bolts for example. 50 cal parts are like a cam and lifters: you can't swap used internal parts between weapons and expect the things to work reliably. they wear in to each other. and also an issue HMMWV is NOT the same thing as a civillian hummer.

devildog0 said:
House=Yes
Doctor=Yes
Lawyer=Yes

The Marine Corps is pretty low budget. Infact I think that lowbudget wheelin' and the Corps were made for eachother. :)
No doubt...I learned me some mad scroungin' skills while one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children...

Oh yeah, and Duct tape holds the world together.

what do you military boys mean? I am pretty sure that you get free healthcare (at least while enlisted) and you can get low interest government loans, government insurance, and live off government cheese while living in a van, down by the river.... (sorry a little matt foley caught hold of me) and you can go shopping for cheap, tax free at base commissary's(is that the right word/spelling?) so what if you get smaller paychecks than us non-subsidized civilians get?

motorcityxj said:
I find it hard to belive the army uses CONSUMER GRADE MILEMARKER stuff same specs, as you and i can buy. I seriously doubt it. Since when does the army buy dollar store shit, most military stuff is pretty heavy duty, and built to military specs per its use. They do not go out an look for a product and try to make it work, if price was the main factor they would use 3/4 and 1 ton pickups not Hummer H1's. The only reason we have a hummer at all is because the military has very high standards and specialized goals and specs. I am sorry but anyone saying the army uses milemarker consumer grade anything is full of crap.

Ok, I see your point, but it's like in previous posts. They exploit the fact that they sell winches to the Army and lead the consumer to belive all their winches are up to that MILSPEC. Which we all know is not true.

pbandj said:
what do you military boys mean? I am pretty sure that you get free healthcare (at least while enlisted) and you can get low interest government loans, government insurance, and live off government cheese while living in a van, down by the river.... (sorry a little matt foley caught hold of me) and you can go shopping for cheap, tax free at base commissary's(is that the right word/spelling?) so what if you get smaller paychecks than us non-subsidized civilians get?

Yup, I'm sure all our honorable service men and women are sitting there in Iraq feeling all warm and fuzy over the fact they can go to the commissary. Oh wait a minute, there isn't a commisary in Iraq. Wow what a bum deal they're getting!

What a worthless comment you made!

ChuckD said:
Yup, I'm sure all our honorable service men and women are sitting there in Iraq feeling all warm and fuzy over the fact they can go to the commissary. Oh wait a minute, there isn't a commisary in Iraq. Wow what a bum deal they're getting!

What a worthless comment you made!

so you think the point of my post was about the commissary? sheesh!

I am all for military service people and national (or international) defense.... BUT I don't pay my taxes which fund the salaries (and combat pay), college tuition, housing, feeding, training, equipping, and major subsidizing of the armed forces members lives just sympathize with their whining about only getting X amount of spending money OR getting shipped off to foreign countries.... YOU signed the contract, nobody kidnapped you, in fact they probably paid you a handsome enlistment bonus. if you think you should be getting more money then just re-up for an extra $10k OR re-enter civilian life where you get $1000 ER bills for 2 hours of service and car insurance costs $$$ and car loans are $$$ and college costs $$$ (wait, you still get the GI bill) and you don't get paid extra for framing on the 3rd story, in the "combat zone" where lots of injuries and deaths happen. I repeat I AM NOT DOWN ON THE MILITARY, nobody better misquote me or pick and choose my statements out of context and write about my worthless comments (at least in this thread:). and I DO pay my taxes in case you only read half that really long sentence :us:

yup let me tell you about the HUGE enlistment bonus that me and the others in the Marine Corps gets............. Yup 0 bucks. Yes I did sign the contract and if I could go back I would do it again and again.

Back