• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF Winch

pbandj said:
so you think the point of my post was about the commissary? sheesh!

I am all for military service people and national (or international) defense.... BUT I don't pay my taxes which fund the salaries (and combat pay), college tuition, housing, feeding, training, equipping, and major subsidizing of the armed forces members lives just sympathize with their whining about only getting X amount of spending money OR getting shipped off to foreign countries.... YOU signed the contract, nobody kidnapped you, in fact they probably paid you a handsome enlistment bonus. if you think you should be getting more money then just re-up for an extra $10k OR re-enter civilian life where you get $1000 ER bills for 2 hours of service and car insurance costs $$$ and car loans are $$$ and college costs $$$ (wait, you still get the GI bill) and you don't get paid extra for framing on the 3rd story, in the "combat zone" where lots of injuries and deaths happen. I repeat I AM NOT DOWN ON THE MILITARY, nobody better misquote me or pick and choose my statements out of context and write about my worthless comments (at least in this thread:). and I DO pay my taxes in case you only read half that really long sentence :us:

You are the one who open this with your statements. Are far as how I take them or how I respond is solely on how I interpret your post. Hey it's simple you posted I responded. I WILL QUOTE ANY WAY I FEEL TO, and you have the same priviledge as long as you and I abide by the Rules set forth by this forum.

I can agree to some of what your stating with regard to my first hand expierience, and in the expierence it is only a few that don't deserve such benefits.

Both of us don't truely know how our soldiers were treated after Vietnam, we can only read books and watch overeragated movies about the expierence. These benefits are there to maintain a volunteer force, without them, individuals like yourself may find themselves in the draft line.

Anyway, I still say your original statement is worthless. Notice how I didn't say you were worthless. It is obviously incomplete on how you really feel. Also, most of our troops are tax payers as well. So if you really have a problem with our system. Why are you engaging a Jeep site on a thread about HF winches when you should be writing a fat letter to your Congressman. :us:

Last edited:
The weather sure is nice this weekend.
I think im gonna find some time to go out and install my new tyres and wheels.They have been sitting in the garage for about 2 weeks and im tired of looking at them.
C.S.I. comes on later and this episode is gonna be super.

i wonder if anyone will notice that i am upping my feedback with a bogus username, and giving bad feedback on a few choice users?

Has anyone tried to cheromanche their xJ and then BUILD A CAMPER SHELL FOR IT?????

frsno jeeper said:
The weather sure is nice this weekend.
I think im gonna find some time to go out and install my new tyres and wheels.They have been sitting in the garage for about 2 weeks and im tired of looking at them.
C.S.I. comes on later and this episode is gonna be super.

i wonder if anyone will notice that i am upping my feedback with a bogus username, and giving bad feedback on a few choice users?

Has anyone tried to cheromanche their xJ and then BUILD A CAMPER SHELL FOR IT?????

Hey isn't time for all Marines to go to bed!

if you keep your eye's opened, you can find a good deal on a good winch, i found mine on eaby, with the rope and fairlead, i'm into the whole thing for about $500.
truckin073.jpg

woody said:
I used to be a Snap-on salesman, so I have a clue into good junk vs bad junk.

I've sold a few new-issue tools that shat the bed or were non-performers... and had to make them good. I've also demo'd & kept one or two that rocked under several years of hard service.

I have mostly Craftsman hand tools in my personal stash, HF hand tools are good IMO for 'throwaway' stuff... I do like my Snap-on 3/8" ratchets & sockets though.

For a winch... :dunno: I've avoided them for 5 years...But whenever I get one, I wouldn't want something I couldn't trust to dangle my Jeep off a cliff and power down with.

A "good" come-along, along with a selection of quality straps & d-rings, A couple medium bottle jacks, and a 60" Hi-Lift farm jack would serve a moderate off roader better than a "cheap" winch for the same $300... IMHO.
Hayduke style?

Back to the winch issue... I bought one (HF) for a 4 runner project I was working on. I bought it mainly for the price, and to see if it was worth it's beans. I have owned a Ramsey before. I currently have a Warn 9000 xdi on my CJ, so I know what a good winch should work like. Here is how the HF winch panned out...

Appearance - Did look a lot like a Ramsey.

Cable - The cable was awsome. It's huge.

Mounting - No problems there

Remote - Just like the Ramsey which I don't like... but it worked
Performance - It pulled slowly, but not painfully so. The clutch mechanism worked well. The ring was always easy to slide. It freespooled like a dream. It pulled that heavy 4 runner plenty of times with a single line and never let me down. Some of the pulls were just "lost traction up hill" pulls, some were dragging the rear end like a boat anchor, and a few were out of mud and ruts.

The Bad Stuff -
The selinoid on mine and at least one other I know of would get hot after several minutes of hard pull and quit. Once it coole off, it would work again. It had to be a really long or really tough pull for that to happen though. It was annoying, but now Warn makes some of their winches do that on purpose.

The cable is so big, and there is so much of it, that if you aren't pulling straight, it will bunch up under the spreader bars and bind. You need to be really careful and watch this as it could damage the winch or cable. I could have shortened the cable and avoided the problem, but I like having lots of cable.

That's it. It isn't as good as my Warn. It seemed as good as the Ramsey, and quieter too. It was $289 on sale, and for a little more, I got a no questions asked replacement warranty for a year.

Hope this helps.
HarveOut-

www.winchking.com

They sell raymart and duke winches. The dukes are permant magnet type motor winches (high line speed onthe 8k winch like 40 ft per min) and the Raymarts are series wound motors lower line speeds. The only diff between the 8k and 10k raymarts is the gear ratio. The dukes look better and the raymarts look like they were designed in the 60s but the raymarts have the series wound motor I know some of yall were saying that permant magnet type motors are less reliable or something like that. (sorry not to winch savy at the moment just started to look at them)

I concur with Harvo above. I've had an HF 8k for several years. Similar opinion and experience. Have only used it in single line pulls, and have not stalled it. Several times have had quite a bit of tension on it, but was more concerned with the stresses on the uniframe (probably needlessly) than the winch.

Back