• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF Winch

ChicksDigWagons said:
Call me crazy, but any cable on any winch has the potential to snap at any time its under load. Thats why we all excercise winch safety, right? If you got yourself into a life jeopardizing situation with your rig that only a winch can get you out of you're a lot crazier than the guy who bought the Chicago Tools winch. A lot of people don't run any winch at all because they are cost prohibative, here's a reasonably inexpensive winch that may not be the best in the world but will probably get somebody unstuck plenty of times to make it worth it. Worried about the cable? Replace it with synthetic, I'd recommend that to anybody with any brand winch anyway.

the more mods people have, the more "confidence" it gives them- like beer does for instance. a person could think of a winch like a wheeling buddy, they can get rocker deep in that mud hole and just anchor and drag their sorry carcass back out. this is not necessarily the brightest mindset but it does have some degree of truth, since we depend upon every part of our rig to take the abuse we dish out and limp us back to civilization. usually though, most of us use quality parts and do quality mods (or at least carry spares)... but to equate a cheap winch to a cheap insurance policy is pretty accurate- just try to file a claim with a bargain basement insurance provider sometime.... don't hold your breath waiting for a check.

OTOH-- winchless people are usually painfully aware of their plight and (hopefully) take due caution... and this is the mindset that prospective HF owners should probably not abandon-- happy if it works and saves you some time, but not screwed if it doesn't--

I don't have a problem with the fact that winch cables break (although I do have a problem with HF's metallurgical inadequacies and that probably extends to their cables) I have more concerned about the winch housing, spool, bearings, brake, which all see big stress.

BTW life jeapordizing doesn't necessarily mean edge of a cliff situations, you can be in jeapordy any time you get stuck... up here especially (alaska)

One LAST remark: I like to debate, it is fun to me- if you don't like to debate and just get defensive and think I'm arguing then just read the thread and laugh or whatever you do while reading threads... and I'll read your "rustys or RE AAL lift?" posts and do the same- :wave:

pbandj said:
the more mods people have, the more "confidence" it gives them- like beer does for instance. a person could think of a winch like a wheeling buddy, they can get rocker deep in that mud hole and just anchor and drag their sorry carcass back out. this is not necessarily the brightest mindset but it does have some degree of truth, since we depend upon every part of our rig to take the abuse we dish out and limp us back to civilization. usually though, most of us use quality parts and do quality mods (or at least carry spares)... but to equate a cheap winch to a cheap insurance policy is pretty accurate- just try to file a claim with a bargain basement insurance provider sometime.... don't hold your breath waiting for a check.

OTOH-- winchless people are usually painfully aware of their plight and (hopefully) take due caution... and this is the mindset that prospective HF owners should probably not abandon-- happy if it works and saves you some time, but not screwed if it doesn't--

I don't have a problem with the fact that winch cables break (although I do have a problem with HF's metallurgical inadequacies and that probably extends to their cables) I have more concerned about the winch housing, spool, bearings, brake, which all see big stress.

BTW life jeapordizing doesn't necessarily mean edge of a cliff situations, you can be in jeapordy any time you get stuck... up here especially (alaska)

One LAST remark: I like to debate, it is fun to me- if you don't like to debate and just get defensive and think I'm arguing then just read the thread and laugh or whatever you do while reading threads... and I'll read your "rustys or RE AAL lift?" posts and do the same- :wave:

Show me your metallurgical studies.......

xjnation said:
Show me your metallurgical studies.......
I'd hate to swamp you with the complexities of a written out metallurgical analysis of why HF tools lack the proper peening, cold rolling, or hardening... so I'll make it visual:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARadjustableBallJoints/images/Ball_025sm_NO.jpg

(Caption)Get a good press! This "3-in-1" tool from Harbor Freight failed! (You can see how it is bent. It barely fits in the case!)
This is Harbor Freight #38335-0VGA ($30 on sale-$40 regular).
Photo & Caption by Andreas Ritterbusch/MADXJ

I don't know if you have ever used a ball joint/brake anchor press but they have very thick metal bodies! and in the case of the HF it was very thick WEAK metal :lecture:

vBulletin Message said:
You must spread some Rock Rash around before giving it to pbandj again.​

good call

i agree

So you use one poorly designed tool from one of hundred of HF venders as a judge of the entire place....pretty narrow minded.....ya know my snap on torque wrench that broke too....I guess they all suck...and a MATCO air ratchet that died after an hour...so all matco stuff is chit too....a dewalt drill that burned up after 3 hours of use...all dewalt is total crap right? good logic!

HF uses hundreds of venders not one.

xjnation said:
So you use one poorly designed tool from one of hundred of HF venders as a judge of the entire place....pretty narrow minded.....ya know my snap on torque wrench that broke too....I guess they all suck...and a MATCO air ratchet that died after an hour...so all matco stuff is chit too....a dewalt drill that burned up after 3 hours of use...all dewalt is total crap right? good logic!

HF uses hundreds of venders not one.

where to start....
1.) people don't buy snap on tools or matco tools because they don't break, they buy them because the guy comes every week and fixes them for free and readjusts things for free and of course the CALENDAR!!

2.)IMHO- many dewalt tools ARE TOTAL CRAP- just because you picked a name brand doesn't mean it has a good reputation! read the consumer reports customer complaints DB about the H2- $50,000+ and it has the highest complaint to customer ratio (if I remember right it's 225 complaints per 100 vehicles sold, almost double the average vehicle complaints)

3.)And of course just because you buy something with a sterling reputation doesn't mean it won't break (read my 5 other diatribes!) it just means it is MUCH LESS LIKELY to break and that if it does happen to break you have parts and service and usually a solidly built tool body to put new parts into

so to summarize again, xjnation (if that is your real name....:)
I am not narrow minded, I'm biased :laugh3: and
-I don't throw the baby out with the bath water-
- BUT I don't go digging through a dumpster with thousands of pieces of trash hoping to find one thing that might be a good deal :pig:

add: and as for HF's "hundreds of vendors" if they made a fair tool worth a fair price why are they selling at a bargain basement outlet? jcwhitney has "hundreds of vendors" too I'm sure, those spinning hubcaps and flashing valve stem covers seem to go hand in hand, don't they?

Last edited:
pbandj said:
where to start....
1.) people don't buy snap on tools or matco tools because they don't break, they buy them because the guy comes every week and fixes them for free and readjusts things for free and of course the CALENDAR!!

2.)IMHO- many dewalt tools ARE TOTAL CRAP- just because you picked a name brand doesn't mean it has a good reputation! read the consumer reports customer complaints DB about the H2- $50,000+ and it has the highest complaint to customer ratio (if I remember right it's 225 complaints per 100 vehicles sold, almost double the average vehicle complaints)

3.)And of course just because you buy something with a sterling reputation doesn't mean it won't break (read my 5 other diatribes!) it just means it is MUCH LESS LIKELY to break and that if it does happen to break you have parts and service and usually a solidly built tool body to put new parts into

so to summarize again, xjnation (if that is your real name....:)
I am not narrow minded, I'm biased :laugh3: and
-I don't throw the baby out with the bath water-
- BUT I don't go digging through a dumpster with thousands of pieces of trash hoping to find one thing that might be a good deal :pig:

add: and as for HF's "hundreds of vendors" if they made a fair tool worth a fair price why are they selling at a bargain basement outlet? jcwhitney has "hundreds of vendors" too I'm sure, those spinning hubcaps and flashing valve stem covers seem to go hand in hand, don't they?

by the way like the debate......its all good....and I guess Im the lucky one, I have many HF tools that have been working flawlessly for years. Next debate please

yeah, that much mileage on a HF winch debate is about the equivalent of a 4.0 pushing a million:D

I used to be a Snap-on salesman, so I have a clue into good junk vs bad junk.

I've sold a few new-issue tools that shat the bed or were non-performers... and had to make them good. I've also demo'd & kept one or two that rocked under several years of hard service.

I have mostly Craftsman hand tools in my personal stash, HF hand tools are good IMO for 'throwaway' stuff... I do like my Snap-on 3/8" ratchets & sockets though.

For a winch... :dunno: I've avoided them for 5 years...But whenever I get one, I wouldn't want something I couldn't trust to dangle my Jeep off a cliff and power down with.

A "good" come-along, along with a selection of quality straps & d-rings, A couple medium bottle jacks, and a 60" Hi-Lift farm jack would serve a moderate off roader better than a "cheap" winch for the same $300... IMHO.

woody said:
I used to be a Snap-on salesman, so I have a clue into good junk vs bad junk.

I've sold a few new-issue tools that shat the bed or were non-performers... and had to make them good. I've also demo'd & kept one or two that rocked under several years of hard service.

I have mostly Craftsman hand tools in my personal stash, HF hand tools are good IMO for 'throwaway' stuff... I do like my Snap-on 3/8" ratchets & sockets though.

For a winch... :dunno: I've avoided them for 5 years...But whenever I get one, I wouldn't want something I couldn't trust to dangle my Jeep off a cliff and power down with.

A "good" come-along, along with a selection of quality straps & d-rings, A couple medium bottle jacks, and a 60" Hi-Lift farm jack would serve a moderate off roader better than a "cheap" winch for the same $300... IMHO.

craftsman pro series 3/8" air rachet is da bomb! about 99.00 or less on sale, lifetime warranty and you can use as a regular rachet, Ive put more hand force on that unit than I thought possible and it holds up great

ChuckD said:
I wonder where Ramsey, Warn and Milemarker get there cable from? :rolleyes:

Duh! The Highest bidder! In the future please try to keep up...:lecture:
(Sorry, hahaa, looked like a good place for a punch line!)

xjnation said:
by the way like the debate......its all good....and I guess Im the lucky one, I have many HF tools that have been working flawlessly for years. Next debate please

I'm with you on this one... i have (HF) 3/8" air ratchet, 1/4" die grinder, 3/8" and 1/2" air impact wrenchs, 110V dual mig welder, 220V light duty arc, auto-dark helmet, 5" vise, 4 1/2" angle grinder, 1/2" drill press ($49 POS in other posts), and 4 ft. farm jack... the only bum deal I got from them was a 3" air cutter that was under powered (got full refund 2 weeks later).

I'm not sure if I'll put a HF winch on my heap but I have used their farm jack for recovery.
just my 2 cents:)

Roll-over said:
I'm with you on this one... i have (HF) 3/8" air ratchet, 1/4" die grinder, 3/8" and 1/2" air impact wrenchs, 110V dual mig welder, 220V light duty arc, auto-dark helmet, 5" vise, 4 1/2" angle grinder, 1/2" drill press ($49 POS in other posts), and 4 ft. farm jack... the only bum deal I got from them was a 3" air cutter that was under powered (got full refund 2 weeks later).

I'm not sure if I'll put a HF winch on my heap but I have used their farm jack for recovery.
just my 2 cents:)

I hope you know you have no street creds now that you said you have HF tools that actually work!

Dont take my word for it, but i have heard and read that the HF 8000# is made by ramsey. Might be right, might be wrong. Still dosent make it Good or bad. ive seen many cheap items made by a good company, but in china sold under a differnt name.

They are NOT made by ramsey. Call and they will tell you they are not, they are made over seas somewhere. I had one, junk!! I didn't use it much it was like a back up plan instead of walking home. This spring I was cleaning the cable and checking everything over when it died. I couldn't even pull my jeep across the lawn. It winched in about 10 ft and died. I took it apart and the thing is so cheaply made the magnets are almost glued in place, some where even cracked. The way I look at it is if I would have bought a Warn it would be payed off buy now and I wouldn't be shopping for a winch again. Just remember the poor can't afford to be cheap.

anotherred said:
the poor can't afford to be cheap.
Perfectly put.
No one is saying you have to buy a $1200 Warn.
However, going to a cheap knockoff to save $70 is penny-wise and dollar-foolish.

Last edited:
xjnation said:
I hope you know you have no street creds now that you said you have HF tools that actually work!

LOFL ! what can i say... i started buying HF as throwaways when i didn't want to kill a "good" tool... now they are the good tools. It wasn't MY fault!!!:laugh3:

-r0

Back