• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF Winch

IntrepidXJ said:
don't think i'd put a HF winch on the front of my Jeep......but, I have been considering picking one up for the front of my trailer....i think it would work just fine for that purpose.
Zakly. Cheap tools have their purposes. In a not-to-important-situation they're perfect. I don't consider getting my ass out of possibly serious shit one of those situations.

ONe of the guys over on the Jeepin.com forum has the 8k HF winch on the front of his XJ and he hasn't had any problems with it. He says that it is slow as all hell but hasn't given him any reasons to question its reliability. Personally I don't care how slow it pulls as long as the damn thing pulls. I've been looking at one but also been keeping my eye on ebay for a used winch of any kind. Trying to keep winch expendiuture under 350 bucks.

I dunno why all you people are making such a fuss over this.

I'm just going to get myself a drum from somwhere - some chain from the hardware store, and attach it all to an old starter motor.

I'll make it a point to winch Brad out my first chance.:skull1:

Why is it that people who don't know anything about something fight the hardest?
If YOU think it's a good deal, get it.
Don't listen to people who have opinions. Facts are hard enough to work with.

devildog0 said:
ONe of the guys over on the Jeepin.com forum has the 8k HF winch on the front of his XJ and he hasn't had any problems with it. He says that it is slow as all hell but hasn't given him any reasons to question its reliability.
i saw something in real life once, but since it wasnt on the inernet - it must not have been true...
devildog0 said:
Personally I don't care how slow it pulls as long as the damn thing pulls. I've been looking at one but also been keeping my eye on ebay for a used winch of any kind. Trying to keep winch expendiuture under 350 bucks.

350 aye? good luck

93JXJ said:
Why is it that people who don't know anything about something fight the hardest?
Or sometimes we could care less and just feel like tossing shit :firedevil

I've got the HF 8k winch and I've had it for about 4 months. I used it at Attica, Apple Valley and a local farm my club uses for wheeling. Other then it's slower then crap it works fine. It's better then nothing and a heck of a lot faster then a high lift and chain. I have an old 8274 that I plan on putting up front when I can get the bumper modified to hold it. The HF will end up being mounted on the deck in the back just far enough back to shut the hatch. I got the HF for $330.00 at the local outlet and I got it with a one year warranty.

WI88XJ said:
I've got the HF 8k winch and I've had it for about 4 months. I used it at Attica, Apple Valley and a local farm my club uses for wheeling. Other then it's slower then crap it works fine. It's better then nothing and a heck of a lot faster then a high lift and chain. I have an old 8274 that I plan on putting up front when I can get the bumper modified to hold it. The HF will end up being mounted on the deck in the back just far enough back to shut the hatch. I got the HF for $330.00 at the local outlet and I got it with a one year warranty.

dont tell em that it works, you will disillusion em all. It cant work just ask em!!!

LOL

WI88XJ said:
:laugh3: Whoops! My bad. Guess I'm gonna get a whole bunch of rubies now. :rattle:

There those greenies might just help. for some of these guys you gotta spend a ton for it to be worth anything. BRAND NAME ONLY BABY!!!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks XJNation!! Greenies are cool! I got a whole bunch of Greenies (finally!) after Winterfest and then the Mods dropped me down to just one!

"I'm on top of the world, ma!" (quote from James Cagney in White Heat. :) )

don't get me wrong on this- I'm not a name brand kinda guy, but I like reputation, serviceability, parts availability, those cool quick access caps for motor brushes and a free sticker to put on my window:D
and another thing- I LIKE gambling, but I prefer the craps table to the winch
and ANOTHER thing- do I need to be a HF sales rep or production manager or QC agent to have a semi-qualified opinion about the company's tool line? do I have to post a link to www.madxj.com so y'all can gaze at a picture of another inferior cast product from HF?

xjnation said:
dont tell em that it works, you will disillusion em all. It cant work just ask em!!!

LOL
Welding without eye protection might work. Sticking up a crowded cop bar might work. Mountain climbing on heroin might work. I just wouldn't recommend it.

kid4lyf said:
Welding without eye protection might work. Sticking up a crowded cop bar might work. Mountain climbing on heroin might work. I just wouldn't recommend it.

AMEN! :kissyou:

I really don't see what all this "I wouldn't trust my life to it" or "I wouldn't trust it to get me out of a serious situation"

Call me crazy, but any cable on any winch has the potential to snap at any time its under load. Thats why we all excercise winch safety, right? If you got yourself into a life jeopardizing situation with your rig that only a winch can get you out of you're a lot crazier than the guy who bought the Chicago Tools winch. A lot of people don't run any winch at all because they are cost prohibative, here's a reasonably inexpensive winch that may not be the best in the world but will probably get somebody unstuck plenty of times to make it worth it. Worried about the cable? Replace it with synthetic, I'd recommend that to anybody with any brand winch anyway.

Heck, even this little winch has done well in the past for me!

asetek2000bx2grey.jpg

kid4lyf said:

You guys crack me up...by the way I have a older factory rebuilt Ramsey 9500, It worked all of 4 times before it shorted out, fried the noids. It came with a one year warranty. I called Ramsey to get it fixed they said because I actually used it for vehicle recovery it voided the warranty.

Its in a basket in the garage, new noids and graphite bushings, wiring is ok, if anyone wishes to buy it first 250.00 and its yours.

Last edited:
Back