• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 led head light kits..... Thoughts?

I was excited about these until I realized they came with a dinky computer fan to cool them.

I really don't trust those tiny fans to do much. I also don't expect those fans to last long in a muddy/dusty/snowy/wet/bumpy environment. And isn't that the part of idea behind an LED swap? That they're durable?

To me the low power draw is just a bonus. The higher light output is necessary for any lighting swap, but the real icing is the durability. Why have a durable device rely on a flimsy fan?

I could be wrong but the lifetime led versions seem to not have a seperate fan? I'd really like to see the light output of those, as the wife's wj could use some better lighting and I like the plug and play aspect.

I have been running these for a couple months, lite beam pattern isn't bad but I can deal with them, the high beams are just meh. I really need to just do what Grimm did!

I could be wrong but the lifetime led versions seem to not have a seperate fan?
They do, its behind the rear cover.

I have been running these for a couple months, lite beam pattern isn't bad but I can deal with them, the high beams are just meh.
What housings are those? Are they aligned correctly? It doesn't really look good.

Do you have any pictures of your projector install? Did you use regular H4 housings or something else?

i had them built for me by Tony @ BajaHID. I didn't take any install pics, here's my light pattern though and a shot of the headlights installed.

1476563_10202078071826994_2060899258_n.jpg

936024_10202086418235649_2110021031_n.jpg

1456084_10202086419835689_628366251_n.jpg

sorry for the crappy cell pics but that's all I took. I'm running HIDs though not LEDs sorry to derail the thread. :conceited

edit: here's a better shot of the cutoff pattern. all the light of an HID conversion but no blinding people :D

1515049_10202095953194017_928696054_n.jpg

Last edited:
i had them built for me by Tony @ BajaHID. I didn't take any install pics, here's my light pattern though and a shot of the headlights installed

What were the base housings used? They appear to have a glass lens, do they?

That is spectacular!

With that amount of light output and with that pattern I think you can derail this thread and no one will judge you. That is truly a beautiful sight.

Care to elaborate on the cost or should I just contact Tony?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time now but I have never seen an HID conversion that looked worthwhile... So I started looking at LED conversions and those trucklites look good but I haven't seen a whole lot about them. Just the one writeup here on Naxja. I'll pass on them until I see and hear more about the longterm feedback.

I know what HIDs are capable of and they're a more proven technology in my mind so Id still rather go that route.

They do, its behind the rear cover.

What housings are those? Are they aligned correctly? It doesn't really look good.

THey are autopals. I do need to re aim. I had them aimed low from the HID's and never adjusted them. They do not blind oncoming traffic or at least if they do nobody has flashed me for it. I know what I need to do but this was a more cost effective option. My Jeep gets wheeled and factory lighting sucks, I'd hate to build retrofits then screw up and put it into a tree. A semi-crappy cellphone pic is also no way to judge lighting. They don't scatter like drop in HID kits so this will have to work. Until I do retrofits, you'll just have to hate my headlights! :D

Last edited:
best to get ahold of tony. his username is "tcm glx" on here. he didn't renew his website because it didn't get much traffic, most of his advertising by word of mouth, and stands behind his products.

Talyn, they are clear glass lens autopals.

here i found a better shot of the housing on Tony's pbucket

35abdc275782c77c358f3f7c778e90c3_zpsfb34f7d9.jpg

That is spectacular!

With that amount of light output and with that pattern I think you can derail this thread and no one will judge you. That is truly a beautiful sight.

Really? Maybe it's just me, but I see a VERY slim line of light output with no short-range coverage... I don't get it because my DDer has HIDs and I have great light coverage from just in front of the car all the way up to the cutoff.

Also, I am curious to know if those HIDs have a high-beam in them?

I do applaud Grimm for having a solid cutoff and not blinding oncoming traffic!

Really? Maybe it's just me, but I see a VERY slim line of light output with no short-range coverage... I don't get it because my DDer has HIDs and I have great light coverage from just in front of the car all the way up to the cutoff.

Also, I am curious to know if those HIDs have a high-beam in them?

I do applaud Grimm for having a solid cutoff and not blinding oncoming traffic!

The output is probably very similar to you DDer. You may not see it in the pics......but it does provide solid lighting. Also they are biXenons, so yes they have high beams.

in those pics im about a foot away from the fence and the wall in the last pic. i don't have light for about the first 6 feet in front of the jeep with nothing in front of me but I can't see the ground right there from the drivers seat anyway. That was also before I aimed them, you can see where they are hitting the back of the van that they are aimed up much too high.

they have a solenoid that triggers when you pull the high beams that moves the cutoff plate out of the way, in high mode I get the full power of the sun blasting out of the front of the jeep :D

LOL.. I have never seen him post anywhere, but he knows his shit and is quite anal when it comes to any kind of drop in bulb replacement over the specific halogen bulb.

Yeah, he got fired up about my winch bumper bars partially covering my directional lights. He has a point though and I might look into resolving the issue.. later. I have a lot of irons in the fire right now ($$$$). But it does seem he knows his lighting technology from a couple email exchanges. And his light adjustment procedure is extensive and very precise.. good way to spend a Saturday night I guess. And he's adamant that 'Driving Lights" are for off-road or at least very dark/remote road use.. NOT for high beams.

Anyone have picture of the Cibie (C-B-A) light pattern? One thing we can all agree on.. stock headlights BITE! And do you know if what Daniel offers fits the stock XJ headlight bucket? 7.9" x 5.5" Cibie. Sure don't want to have to modify mounting, just want to replace the lamp.

Thanks.

Back