• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got Mud?

Peteyg

NAXJA Forum User
Sheese...I went to Ocotillo Wells yesterday for the 4 Wheel Parts Customer Appreciation run. It had rained all night Friday night and OW was SOAKED. I had a great time.

I know, I know, this is nothing like what they do back east, but for So Cal, this is as sloppy as it gets.

album.php
album.php

album.php
picture.php

album.php

You can see it sitting kinda low in the rear...that's because of the 200+ pounds of MUD stuck to it. It took me HOURS to get all that crap off, and there's a very upset DIY Spray Wash place here in town...and that was after I had taken a crapload off in front of my condo...I also got some very dirty looks from my neighbors...:gee:

Last edited:
Sheese...
I know, I know, this is nothing like what they do back east, but for So Cal, this is as sloppy as it gets.

As a connoisseur of both east and west coast mud you are correct in saying that its nothing like east coast mud. However do not disount the qualities of the mud your rig is now covered in.

There are obvious things, like SoCal desert mud doesnt smell like bovine urine or rotted dead things and of course there is the color, red, yellow, black or in your case grey. The taste tends to go with the smell, your lucky.

There are many chacteistics of SoCal desert mud that set it apart from the many varieties of east coast mud. SoCal desert mud is unique compared to Appalachian (non coal dust based, truly nasty stuff), Mid Atlantic or Southern clay based yellow greasy mud. SoCal mud stands apart in its adhesive quaities and a concrete like texture when dried. Most of the desert mud I have seen is like a gritty glue, very very sticky and dries in such a way that it does not so much wash off as it needs to be blasted off by getting a jet of water under it so it seperates from the metal in sheets and chunks. It doesnt dissolve or thin. You see some of that in few strains of "East Coast" mud but your mud stands alone in these qualities.

You may not get to see a lot of mud but what you do get to play in, especially desert mud is unique and you should show more pride and respect for it. What it lacks in depth and quantity it more than make up for in other less obvious ways that you can be proud off, especially after (if?) you manage to get it all washed off.

John

Last edited:
I got most of it off today after hosing it down in front of my house, taking it to the DIY pressure wash, and then finally running it through the self-serve wash at the local AM/PM.

Experience tells me, however, that I will be finding chunks of this stuff still cemented to my Jeep well into the next decade. I still remember the great TDS soak fest of '03.

I spent saturday out in Johnson Valley, i have the same mess and i spent about a 1.5 hours today cleaning it.It'll sit over night and i'll hit it again in the morning.Then for the next month or 2 it will drop some ever time i work on it.LOL.I think 03 was when i couldn't get my rims clean and was stuck driving home at 25 to 30 mph.Long drive that night.

Leave that stuff on for awhile and you'll have a nice red patina on any bare metal. There are so many salts it that shiiite its not funny.

Epic, I love desert mudding. I still get a fine dusting in my eyes every time I'm under the Jeep from when I used to live in AZ and we'd go out after monsoons.

Nice. I was out at the 4WP Run too. Im guessing about 300lbs of mud under my Wagoneer. After 2 hours yesterday under it with a hose, I think I got about 80% off. It was a great day but hate the mud.

Check that radiator after the filth dries. I got a nice mud pocket in the lower corner of mine at Azusa one day and it created quite a hot spot, which ruined the radiator. Jeeps are great for a lot of things, but I don’t think mud is really one of them. :D

I could not see my pics when I wasn't logged in. That pic is in my gallery. It looks like only red members can see gallery pics.

Back