• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good idea to Stroke?

gradon said:
x2 on shooting for a zero deck on the stroker (<.010"). Anyhow after the stroker project, I will be saving up to buy a 95-98 m3(I've wanted one for 13 years now). You can bet that the newest m3 is still the real deal. If you want to get the I-6, get the twin-turbo 335 and you'll be able to boost that to 400hp&ft/lbs with a few grand in mods.

Don't feel bad, I still lust for an E30 M3 :D

alex22 said:
I haven't heard much about the new BMW V8. Care to enlighten us?
The problem with the BMW I6 is that they crack, and when they do, nobody makes a new cylinder head for them. I have seen quite a few with severe cracks so I had to tell the customer we could not help him. luckly he was able to find another used one that did pressure test good.

~Alex
I think its a great design, but of course the twin turbo inline 6 with a chip almost makes it not worth it to spend the extra dough on the V8.
http://www.roadfly.com/bmws-new-m3-v8-engine-official-m-v8-engine-specs.html

Besides that your motor should have alot more life left. Mine was'nt well taken care of before I got it, and with over 200k is still running well. But I want a stroker too. Just don't want high compress or to run hi test. Hopefully it will get better mpg's too. Even better would be going diesel.

I am gonna be honest and say i didnt measure a damn thing or use the compression calculator at all. I had my block decked .01 and bored .06 over. threw it together and got a good valve and head job. It will run mid grade unless it is increadibly hot, then it will ping occasionally. Runs like a champ on 93.

Lets be honest, why the big deal about running 93, it is generally cleaner, and cost me what $3-4 dollars more a tank, usually less.

I am purposefully trying to make mine high compression so it'll have to use 93. It was a totally fine 122K 94 block and I have a totally fine 74K 96 engine. I am rebuilding for performance/fun and find it pointless to buy all these nice parts and not be willing to spend $5 more per fillup. Now maybe others are rebuilding out of necessity and figure why not stroke it in the process, but still want to use 87--who knows. I do know that up til a year or so ago the price difference b/t 87 and 93 was $.20 a gallon. Now it is $.30+(like other states), so you know our refineries are pocketing that difference.

The problem with higher compression engines is that the octane levle at the pump is very rarley checked, which puts your engine at the mercy of the station owner/ truck driver/ gasoline depo.

~Alex

93 doesn't necessarily run cleaner. It combusts slower (the higher the octane rating, the slower combustion). If it doesn't combust completely during the power stroke, it can leave MORE deposits than a lower octane fuel.

easily more. But it is easier to make good power with a better compression ratio, which does not run as well on 87...

I do pretty good on 89, if i get a good quality fresh 87 in there it will run ok in the winter, but as the temps increase I have to bump to 89. 93 is not necessarily cleaner, but it tends to run better in all of my cars so it is what I run.

wolfpackjeeper said:
easily more. But it is easier to make good power with a better compression ratio, which does not run as well on 87...

I do pretty good on 89, if i get a good quality fresh 87 in there it will run ok in the winter, but as the temps increase I have to bump to 89. 93 is not necessarily cleaner, but it tends to run better in all of my cars so it is what I run.
Of course, and also advance timing. My scangauge gives me the same timing numbers for 87 as it does 93 as without a knock sensor, the computer doesnt know what octane we're using. I dont think the same would go for a renix though because i believe they have em.

the odd thing is I have had a lot of people come into the store lately and want to replace the knock sensor on their 97+. We even have a picture of it in the computer even though I know that there is not one

Back