• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with my stroker build

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am trying to develop my list of parts for the build. from Jeep4.0proformance i want to build the 4.6 Poor mans stroker. with the exception of i'm adding a turbo. so below i am listing just the stroker build list. once i get it in the jeep and broke in then i'm adding the turbo. plus it gives me a chance to build up my cash again.

parts needed
Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods
ICON Performance Pistons IC944-020
Mopar 0.043" head gasket
Accel 24lb/hr injectors
all other gaskets
cloyes roller timing chain
rocker arms
pushrods
stock cam

other work
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head i'm sending out

now that site claims that i will be fine using the stock cam but is that ideal?
i was looking at 505s hydraulic cams to bring the torque to the low end before spooling. any thoughts. plus their cams come with push roads timing set and springs

please help me get my list perfect

i personally wouldnt bother running a stock cam in a stroker. ive seen it done, and it will work, but youre already in there, why not spend the extra $100 or $150 and be happier with your torque curve?

If you're gonna be adding a turbo, then you'll want a cam with overlap that is stock or less than stock, so more of a low-end cam, than high rpm.

Make that $300 by the time you've upgraded the valve springs/retainers.

Forgot to mention that you're likely to need roller rockers to go with upgraded valve springs so that's another $400 to add for the valvetrain upgrades if you don't use the stock cam.

well i need to bore it out. and i'm not sure how much yet. the motor i have grenaded a piston so... i figure i would lower the compression with a larger bore. i'm not set on where i want it yet. my turbo is going to be mild. maybe 6psi.

def going with a 99 intake. i might build my own down the road since i'm building a exhaust manifold for the turbo. maybe i can build it so it gets less heat soak. all depends on how lazy i get

if i do get a cam it will be a lower end cam so i would have more power before boost. but it sounds like i will be fine with a stock cam.
the 505 cam kits includes springs and all and depending on the cam, it is $300-500

i had already planed on roller rockers. it would be awesome to have a clear valve cover for these.

im excited to get moving on this! i can't wait for the power!:firedevil:cheers:

Make that $300 by the time you've upgraded the valve springs/retainers.
very true. forgot we had to machine the head for taller (SBC) springs to handle the extra lift. sorry for postin misleading info

Forgot to mention that you're likely to need roller rockers to go with upgraded valve springs so that's another $400 to add for the valvetrain upgrades if you don't use the stock cam.
i know for a fact that you dont need the roller rockers for the upgraded springs. running new stock replacements for 2 years and theyve been fine up to 5k rpm. would i like them? yes. do you need them? no. ig it depends on the springs though.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle and I think my modified "poor man's" stroker recipe (9.25:1 CR) with a 6psi boost turbo (make that 8psi with an intercooler) would work great and still have good off-boost response. You can keep the stock valvetrain and not have to worry about possible cam/lifter failure down the line.

Increasing the bore will increase the compression ratio.
SHIT your right. well i cant set on any numbers until i know how big i need to bore it. i have not done any calcs yet on larger piston sizes.

Dr. Dyno said:
I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle and I think my modified "poor man's" stroker recipe (9.25:1 CR) with a 6psi boost turbo (make that 8psi with an intercooler) would work great and still have good off-boost response. You can keep the stock valvetrain and not have to worry about possible cam/lifter failure down the line.
its a great combo, thats why i started with those numbers.

X2

If/When our turbo'd stock motor gives up, thats exactly what we're going to do. For now though it's still doing great.

Back