• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good headlight harness?

I just installed the eAuto harness with Autopal H4 55/100 bulbs.
Easy install and it works great. I haven't been able to drive with the brights on for very long because they're insane, but I don't expect I'll have any issues. So far I'm extremely happy for the little cash outlay.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

So in that how-to did he not attach the power cables to the battery?

???? I do wire the 30 pin on the relay directly to the battery with a fuse?

Also those that have fitted the after market cheap one, have you measured the voltage difference at the furthest light from stock to the new setup? I really dont think you are getting full benefit from that small gauge wire and the relays are what is helping the most in the extra brightness. Still think my loom will give more still.

The two power supply wires from the relays ( pin 30 ) attached to the front of the fuse box where the power supply from the battery is fixed

Thats what I saw. So are you attaching directly to the battery at some point also? Sorry to sound so dumb but kind of new to this. It will probably make more sense once I have the kit in my hands.

Brad

Also those that have fitted the after market cheap one, have you measured the voltage difference at the furthest light from stock to the new setup? I really dont think you are getting full benefit from that small gauge wire and the relays are what is helping the most in the extra brightness. Still think my loom will give more still.

I meant to check it, even had the meter out, but I got in a rush and forgot. I can say that with the harness in both stock lights were noticeably brighter and I didn't notice the driver's side (longest wire) being any dimmer. Now that I put in the Autopals everything still seems equal, at least to the naked eye.

I'm sure that a larger gauge wire is a good idea, just for insurance. It's always better to make sure your wire is plenty big for the job, but I think the 14ga stuff seems to do the trick so far. When the weather warms up and I get to running around in the middle of nowhere with the 100w brights on for extended periods maybe I'll find out differently - although I hope not.

The two power supply wires from the relays ( pin 30 ) attached to the front of the fuse box where the power supply from the battery is fixed

Thats what I saw. So are you attaching directly to the battery at some point also? Sorry to sound so dumb but kind of new to this. It will probably make more sense once I have the kit in my hands.

Brad

Ok I understand your question now. There is no direct connection with the battery as using the lugs on the front of the fuse box is the same as going directly to the battery for all intents and purposes. It is a very heavy gauge wire that run between the fuse box there and the battery so there is no voltage drop between the two so is just a neater place to fit it as the battery often gets crowded with other wires and is more prone to corrosion.

Hey thanks think i'll use that mounting spot as well. After reading through all the how-to's and finally getting my harness seems like it should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks all

Would I be losing a lot of power if I connect the two battery cables into one before the fuse then just connect straight to the battery. Instead of running two cables and two fuses?

Would I be losing a lot of power if I connect the two battery cables into one before the fuse then just connect straight to the battery. Instead of running two cables and two fuses?
If you only run one fuse, you would loose both high and low beam at once. Not a good idea if flying along a country road at 70 mph in the middle of the night!

Well did this yesterday and holy crap what a difference. Added the new harness along with some autopals and I can see. Brights are way way super bright.

Love it.

???? I do wire the 30 pin on the relay directly to the battery with a fuse?

Gojeep... I just installed this cheaper harness over the weekend. I took a voltage measuremen at the Drivers Side harness before and afte install. The before voltage was 11 volts at the harness... the after install voltage was 12.30 volts. I am not the original owner of this XJ and noticed that there is what appears to be a new headlight plug-in/socket on the drivers side. I got in a rythym and failed to measure the voltage at the passenger side headlight so I don't have that info. The passender side wires looked much smaller so looking back I should've measured that voltage as well.

All in all a pretty straight forward kit and easy to install. My headlights weren't too dim since I upgraded to Hella DOT's a couple years back... but the new wiring helped. Plus, now I'll be able to upgrade to some higher watt bulbs and not fear that I'm going to melt my harnesses. I ended up running the wiring behind the grill so the placement of the wires was not a problem for me. Sorry didn't take any pics... was in a bit of a rush and nobody to snap pics while I was working this time.

I purchased a harness from Big off road & one of the $20 jobs, They appear identical except the BOR's relays have a 40Amps rating stamped on them While the $20 Job has 30Amps stamped on it. The wire size appears the same.
I installed the BOR's harness with Delta H4 reflectors & Hella H4 Bulbs, The install took less than an Hour (A piece of cake).
The difference from stock is amazing, I can now actually tell that my headlights are on without getting out to check!

Gojeep... I just installed this cheaper harness over the weekend. I took a voltage measuremen at the Drivers Side harness before and afte install. The before voltage was 11 volts at the harness... the after install voltage was 12.30 volts. I am not the original owner of this XJ and noticed that there is what appears to be a new headlight plug-in/socket on the drivers side. I got in a rythym and failed to measure the voltage at the passenger side headlight so I don't have that info. The passender side wires looked much smaller so looking back I should've measured that voltage as well.

All in all a pretty straight forward kit and easy to install. My headlights weren't too dim since I upgraded to Hella DOT's a couple years back... but the new wiring helped. Plus, now I'll be able to upgrade to some higher watt bulbs and not fear that I'm going to melt my harnesses. I ended up running the wiring behind the grill so the placement of the wires was not a problem for me. Sorry didn't take any pics... was in a bit of a rush and nobody to snap pics while I was working this time.

Was that with the lights on or off? Also what was the battery voltage?

Was that with the lights on or off? Also what was the battery voltage?

That was with the light switch on Low. Battery voltage I did not measure... but it's a good strong Battery (Autozone Yellowtop Duralast). Sorry I didn't even think to measure the battery. That was also w/the XJ not running.

I can measure the battery voltage and repost in a few days. I've got to run some fuses over the weekend as I didn't have time w/the initial install and just used the fusable linke wires that came w/the kit to attach directly to the battery.

Couple of bucks, the bigger relays, I figured it was worth a shot. Probably all made by the same bunch of 12 year old chinese kids anyway- looks like only the relays vary.

Back