• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good headlight harness?

93 XJLI... Thanks for posting up the pics and giving your initial impressions.

??? Are the wires on this kit made f/ 18 guage... or can you tell what guage the wiring is?

Hopefully you'll get some decent weather and will be able to install and give details on any troubles you had or what you did to get the universal kit to fit the XJ. Take pics if you can and let us know.

it says 18ga, but it looks closer to 12 or 14 to me.

If it says 18 AWG then it is 18 AWG. The 18 refers to the bear wire size not to the wire and insulation combined. 18 is a bit too small to be much of an upgrade.

for those that are into the "plug and play" thing, PM Yellaheep here, Bigoffroad.com used to carry a harness, and he can let you know if he still does... and I think it was XJ specific!

I've tried getting in touch f/ bigoffroad before to ask them the gauge of wire they use and never received a response. I'm not apposed to paying for their kit... if I knew exactly what I was paying for.

looks like a decent kit to me.
18 awg should work fine, I'm not loading it to its full capacity so it'll handle my PIAA's just fine.

So I got this same kit that XJLI posted up about two years ago or so. My initial reaction:

Stock Wiring blows, no output, constantly wondering/being asked... "Are your Headlights on?" So I was like you know what gotta invest in a wiring kit or make my own. So while I was searching I thought an H4 is an H4 is an H4, so any H4 kit should work and I was right. Ordered that kit for like $20 at the time off ebay I think and got it in the mail shortly after.
As soon as I got it, I installed it, no troubles just zip tie the excess to the radiator support and the extra slack to some point near the battery. This would be a good time to install a power distribution block or anything else around the battery you might want.
Wire up the whole kit like the instructions say, make sure you have a good ground. I used some self taping sheetmetal screws to hold the grounds in place right behind the headlight. there isn't tons of extra wiring where the harnesses are so make sure you plan accordingly.

You will have to take off the headlight bezels and the headlights to install this kit.

Reaction: A lot more light output from the headlights. I am still using the stock type lights meaning the ones that have shitty output to begin with, but the difference is amazing. For the first time ever I actually could align my headlights properly because I could actually see the center of the beam. I will take pics of what my underhood setup looks like.

I borrowed this pic from fitchVA's website as the top half is the difference he saw. For reference my results were even better than that. I will have to get some silverstars or something better when my lights burn out.
headlight_comparison.jpg

Here es my pics...
DSC00770.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00761.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

and the distro block I put in
DSC00773.jpg

harness is in, definitely makes a big difference even with my "high output" wagner sealed beam lamps. cant wait to get some real lamps/bulbs in there.

Would that harness be suitable if I wanted to put higher the higher 100/90w bulbs in my autopal lights? I have the 60/55w now.

I'm curious about the wire gauge- I notice the fusible links are 18 AWG, but the wire of the harness looks more like 14. Can someone confirm the size?

For the higher output lights, 8.3A x 2 = 16.6A @ 12V. I would want 12 AWG for that at least.

Last edited:
Got it wired up and it makes a big difference!
Only thing I can really complain about is the fact that it doesnt include unline fuse holder(or an inline fuse for that matter)

I ordered the Big Off Road Headlight harness on Saturday & received it on Monday in the mail, Excellent service considering that got it out & to delivered to me across the USA in 2 days.
It looks very well made, I will install it next week after my Delta reflectors & H4 bulbs come in & post my opinions of the quality.

What wire gauge does the BOR harness use? Does it also have fusible link wire instead of fuses? What sort of connections to the relay (5 pole or 4 pole- like the relays in the pics of the cheaper harness, or like those used in Fitch's how-to [standard Bosch style relay, I think they call it] - how are the connections terminated, etc)

The lack of fuse holders, wire gauges, and oddball relays kind of turn me off of most preassembled harnesses- I'd like to find one that I didn't feel compelled to modify.

hubs97xj;[B said:
244210528]What wire gauge does the BOR harness use?[/B]
It looks like 16Guage wire, But I cannot see any marking anywhere to verify it.
Does it also have fusible link wire instead of fuses?
YES, 2 Fuseable links
What sort of connections to the relay (5 pole or 4 pole- like the relays in the pics of the cheaper harness, or like those used in Fitch's how-to [standard Bosch style relay, I think they call it]
The relays look like exactly like the relays pictured but are marked VBRIG Power Relay, 12Volt 40Amp,
Not standard bosch types
how are the connections terminated, etc)
The relays have their own plug in type connections like the ones pictured in the cheap harness pictured earlier in this thread.
The Fuseable links have a Plug in connection to the harness & Hoop type connections that connect to the battery.
The headlight connectors are H4 type & the Grounds have hoop connectors.

The lack of fuse holders, wire gauges, and oddball relays kind of turn me off of most preassembled harnesses- I'd like to find one that I didn't feel compelled to modify.

Back