• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freddie and Fannie losses top $400 Million.....with no end in sight.

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
The " wealth-redistribution/fund your fiscally irresponsible neighbor's mortgage program" rolls on......

The Treasury said on Dec. 24 it would provide an unlimited amount of assistance to the companies as needed for the next three years to alleviate market concern that the government lifeline for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the largest source of money for U.S. home loans, could lapse or be exhausted.

Lax regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac led to the mortgage companies taking on too many risky loans, Wallison said.

“It turns out it was impossible to regulate them,” he said. “They were too powerful.” He said no one knows how much will be needed to keep the companies solvent.

Barney Frank helped create the problem

Time and time again, Frank insisted that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were in good shape. Five years ago, for example, when the Bush administration proposed much tighter regulation of the two companies, Frank was adamant that "these two entities, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not facing any kind of financial crisis." When the White House warned of "systemic risk for our financial system" unless the mortgage giants were curbed, Frank complained that the administration was more concerned about financial safety than about housing.

Now that the bubble has burst and the "systemic risk" is apparent to all, Frank blithely declares: "The private sector got us into this mess."

Still, by making the change before year-end, Treasury sidestepped the need for an OK from a bailout-weary Congress, infuriating Republicans on Capitol Hill.

The Treasury Department gave Fannie and Freddie a bigger lifeline "without any involvement, notice (or) dialogue with Congress," says Rep. Scott Garrett, R-N.J., a member of the House Financial Services committee, who called Wednesday for an investigation into the actions.

Fannie Mae was born in 1938 in the aftermath of the Great Depression. It was privatized 30 years later to limit budget deficits during the Vietnam War. In 1970, the government created a rival, Freddie Mac.

After the housing market started to unravel in 2006, mortgage defaults soared, and the companies' losses mounted. By summer 2008, the companies weren't able to raise money, and their shares plunged.

The Bush administration's hand was forced. It wound up taking over the pair a week before the collapse of investment bank Lehman Brothers.

The government now has a 79.9 percent stake in each company, the maximum amount possible to still keep the companies off the federal budget.

http://wotnews.com/news/Fannie_Mae/

Interesting, as most of what I have read has said that BF was the one sounding the warning bells, and wanting to increase financial regulation, not the other way around. The truth is probably mid way, that both sides at times said there was a problem that needed to be addressed and sounded the warning bells, and at other times claimed everything was fine, depending on who they were addressing, and what time of year it was, and what lies the crowd wanted to hear.

On another, related topic, FNM and FRE stock ran way up a few days ahead of that news after crashing over 50% (Treasury unlimited funding for them news...) and sort of peaked with the news (stock rallied back up 50%). I was digging for the why the stocks ran up so much and so fast while the markets went sideways, when that news came out, and a few days earlier I also found news that FNM was buying up older, higher interest debt of their own that had maturities way out in the 10+ year area, at interest rates that were twice what they can sell debt for right now on new long term debt.

Dawned on me that investors in their stock may be quietly seeing a huge future drop in losses, as they replace huge amounts of higher interest debt with low interest debt, thus reducing their losses, and permitting the continuation of low rate mortgage financing to help stabilize home pricing. So it looks like the plan is to use the promise of full faith and credit of US Gov, to force long term rates and debt on mortgages down even further.

Last edited:
From 2003.......Barney was all for giving more people loans, specifically those who statistically posed a higher risk of default.

''These two entities -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are not facing any kind of financial crisis,'' said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ''The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.''

Representative Melvin L. Watt, Democrat of North Carolina, agreed.
''I don't see much other than a shell game going on here, moving something from one agency to another and in the process weakening the bargaining power of poorer families and their ability to get affordable housing,'' Mr. Watt said.

How does reducing interest rates, reduce the affordability of housing?

400 million?

Is it bad that that number looks really damn small to me? I think it is. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the crap we just went through.

:soapbox:

400 million?

Is it bad that that number looks really damn small to me? I think it is. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the crap we just went through.

:soapbox:

Good point. I wonder if he left some zeros out of there?

Here's your missing zeros..........

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- The cost of fixing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the mortgage companies that last year bought or guaranteed three-quarters of all U.S. home loans, will be at least $160 billion and could grow to as much as $1 trillion after the biggest bailout in American history.

Fannie and Freddie, now 80 percent owned by U.S. taxpayers, already have drawn $145 billion from an unlimited line of government credit granted to ensure that home buyers can get loans while the private housing-finance industry is moribund.
That surpasses the amount spent on rescues of American International Group Inc., General Motors Co. or Citigroup Inc., which have begun repaying their debts.

“It is the mother of all bailouts,” said Edward Pinto, a former chief credit officer at Fannie Mae, who is now a consultant to the mortgage-finance industry.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=an_hcY9YaJas&pos=10

Didn't like the idea before it went through, still don't like it. Someone needs to take responsibility for their actions, not get bailed out when the company starts going under. Let em go under, they did it to themselves!

I lost my house, do you see me complaining about it? nope. I couldn't afford it, plain and simple. All I hear from people is "those poor families will lose their homes!". Why should they get to live somewhere they cannot afford? Can you go to the store and say "I don't have money for this milk, but I'm going to take it anyway, thanks. I'll have some of those eggs too."

I know people come on hard times, but make the best of what you have and keep going - the generations before us did it, and hopefully people will wake up and stop mooching off the government teat someday.

Back