• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 SE 5.3 Swap and Other Stuff

So I realize I am driving a lifted brick of a vehicle but my fuel economy seems to be low. Maybe I was expecting too much but it seems like it should be better. Here are some screen shots from torque.

This trip went like this:
Start-warm up for 10-12 minutes
4 mile round trip-stop and go, nothing over 35mph
Shut off

Screenshot_2016-11-01-07-56-23_zpsobp9vd2l.png

Screenshot_2016-11-01-07-55-57_zpsozphbyx0.png

Screenshot_2016-11-01-07-56-44_zpsqo1fj9wa.png

Everything seems to be somewhat normal. Anyone have any ideas why I would get 5.9 mpg even on a short trip? It smells rich when I go out after warm up too.

Short trips will kill your MPG, but you prob knew that. I get <10mpg on trips less then 5 miles on mine as well. I wouldn't be concerned, these 5.3's are only efficient at operating temp. Report on your true freeway MPG. I only got like 11-13 when i first did the swap since i was WOT ALL THE TIME. Now I mellowed out and can get 17-20 when not towing.

Short trips will kill your MPG, but you prob knew that. I get <10mpg on trips less then 5 miles on mine as well. I wouldn't be concerned, these 5.3's are only efficient at operating temp. Report on your true freeway MPG. I only got like 11-13 when i first did the swap since i was WOT ALL THE TIME. Now I mellowed out and can get 17-20 when not towing.

Thanks for the reply... I do a lot of short drives so I'm sure that is killing my average.

Back