• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 SE 5.3 Swap and Other Stuff

The family is great, but your mom is the best. Good thing you saved your son until last because after that all I could think of was Tommy Boy.

It took me a second but I got it :) That's funny :)

Looks like it gets down! Nice job

Thanks! Yes it has tons of midrange and is a treat to drive.

Anyone know anything about Fuel Trims? My LTFT is floating around 5% for both banks. I don't know if that is good, bad or right on. And if they are off, how do you correct for that?

I've been chasing a trans fluid leak since I got this thing on the road and finally tracked it down today. Some gorilla must have installed my dip stick tube...

sm236_zpsxlutadyr.jpg

sm237_zpsrnfkez5w.jpg

So if you remember I have this 3" flex going to the cowl for a sort of cold air setup.
sm240_zpsqescsydk.jpg

I suspected that it was a bit of a restriction but didn't know how much. Well turns out it was a huge restriction. 0-60 was floating around 6.8-6.9 with the flex tube on. I decided to make a few runs with it totally open. I took the elbow off of the air box and ran it. Its now 0-60 in 6.0 flat. I'll be honest... it always felt like it should have been a bit faster and now I know why. Even with just the flex taken off and running through the 3" inlet on the back of the air box it feels faster. So I need to rework that tube and see if there is enough room for a 4" tube. It will be tight but I may be able to make it work.

Torque is reporting back around 20mpg on the freeway and about 17.5 in town which seems about right. I'll know more after this tank of fuel is gone and I can do a manual calculation.

called it!

i still havent decided what im going to run for an intake yet. what are the filter housing and those elbows out of?

Yes you called it and a couple buddies called it... Apparently I didn't want to listen :)

The elbow at the throttle body is out of a mid 90's Camaro/Caprice with the LT motor, the flex after the MAF is off of a Silverado and it is trimmed, the shiny elbow I got off of eBay and it is a Spectre I think, The air box is an early 90's Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6 with custom fabbed mounts. Lots of 90's Mitsu's have that same air box and filters are dirt cheap.

I may try that Spectre 4" flex. I gotta modify the cowl piece I made to see if 4" will even fit and clear the hood hinge.

Hmmm..... interesting on the restriction. I have a snorkel which is about 3" With it disconnected I get hot air but no restriction, with it connected there is a restriction but way cooler air and it seems to be quicker with the snorkel connected. I am at about 6.5 seconds zero to 60 with it connected (need to try it with it disconnected). Thanks for sharing.

And 20mpg! nice, I have way to much crap on my roof I think, I usually get 17-18mpg combined (I drive it like I put a V8 in it which is prob half the prob).

Hmmm..... interesting on the restriction. I have a snorkel which is about 3" With it disconnected I get hot air but no restriction, with it connected there is a restriction but way cooler air and it seems to be quicker with the snorkel connected. I am at about 6.5 seconds zero to 60 with it connected (need to try it with it disconnected). Thanks for sharing.

And 20mpg! nice, I have way to much crap on my roof I think, I usually get 17-18mpg combined (I drive it like I put a V8 in it which is prob half the prob).

Yeah my first tank of fuel was gone pretty quick. Lots of WOT :) The 20 mpg was cruise set at about 72 on nice flat freeway so I'm guessing that is the top end of the range. I'm right about the same as you for normal driving 17-18.

I'm interested to know if you see a difference on your intake too. I thought mine was restricted but not a whole second slower on the 0-60. Made a huge difference taking that off for sure-

Well this happened again today... :(
sm242_zps4jtzn9oe.jpg

Not sure what happened yet. Smelled some burning when I went into town last week to have lunch with my wife. Fluid smells pretty cooked. When I showed up to her office I did a 3 point turn and putting it back into drive there was some slight grinding but I thought it was coming from the transfer case. Pulled the case and took it apart and all is well in there. Weird thing is it still shifts ok and the torque converter still locks up... Going to tear it down this week and see what the hell happened. Dammit...

Well the trans is back together and back in. Apparently the over run clutch piston inner seal got damaged on the original install and that in turn burned up the overrun clutches and the forward clutches. $85 in parts and I should be good now:

Overrun Clutches after 900 miles of slipping
sm243_zps3h6rfbis.jpg

sm244_zpse5ttwvns.jpg

Forward clutches:
sm245_zpsxukiexam.jpg

Overrun clutch piston seal:
sm246_zpsmauirjow.jpg

Episode 11 is up too if you want to listen to me blab on about things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnUcZD_QA8

Back