• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Five things that make your junk, junk.

Um, Amperage is the unit measurement of electrical current flow, more commonly known as Amps. Seems pretty logical that the FSM would contain this term.

Um, Amperage is the unit measurement of electrical current flow, more commonly known as Amps. Seems pretty logical that the FSM would contain this term.

The unit measurement for current is "Ampere". Some people use incorrectly the made-up word "amperage" instead of "current" (note that we arent talking here about "amperage" used as the unit measurement for current, which is also wrong). No self respecting engineer will ever be caught using the word "amperage"....

Boris

P.S. I know what they mean when they say "...measure the amperage...."...but it is wrong and really, really irritating.

Last edited:
Five things I pledge to fix this winter to make my rig non-junky:

1. Missing sheet metal
2. Missing sheet metal
3. Missing sheet metal
4. Missing sheet metal
5. Missing brake lines.

Oh, and the new MJ...
1. move spare engine out of the bed, or at least tie it down so it stops sliding around when I corner, also move spare front driveshaft, radiator, and 3 spare tires out of bed
2. find out where that ultra strong gas smell is coming from and fix it :boom:
3. replace headliner so it becomes less like a headscarf
4. replace brake cylinders and bleed them so I get less than 5" of pedal travel before the brakes engage
5. replace windshield, 2 foot long crack right across field of vision
spare engine is now in jeepman401's xj
gas smell fixed, new gas smell appeared
removed headliner
fixed brakes
windshield now cracked even worse.

96 XJ "taco deathtrap":
* no floors in the back. At all. As in, the metal is not present. All my stuff is sitting on the frame rails and gas tank. passenger side leaf spring shackle is mounted using stacks of washers and a large quantity of booger welded 1/8" and 1/4" plate.
* strange scraping noise while moving... something on the driveshaft or wheels... couldn't figure out what it was while filling tank... don't care.
* fill tube on gas tank leaks slightly right at tank, vent tube not connected, drive with windows open.
* fenders still aren't properly cut, just enough to not shred the tires while driving on-road.
* bumpstops? what are those?
* passenger LCA bracket on d30 STILL held on with booger welds and assorted 1/8" plate. Temp fix has now lasted nearly a year.
* license plate jammed between 3rd brake light and rear window to keep it from being stolen again.
* fuel filter, axle vent tube, etc swinging in the breeze
* rear bumper bolts only installed a few turns because I'm gonna have to pull the rear bumper back off to finish replacing the floors one of these months
scrapped it after beating it to death

91 MJ "dirty POS":
* camber is out of wack due to previous owner of axle being awesome and going flying with it
* exhaust is hanging on by a thread, bumper flaps in the wind
* bedliner covering massive rust issues
* no rockers either
* leaks at least 1 quart of oil every 150 miles, if I have to stop quickly on the highway I have my own smoke screen
* water pump leaked a gallon of coolant a day for several weeks, has since stopped, no idea why, may start again at any moment, so I carry a spare plus tools.
* slow leak at one of the fittings on the proportioning valve.
* radiator has almost no fins remaining and several slow pinhole leaks that are being sealed up slowly by coolant residue
* thermostat housing also is being sealed up by coolant residue
* AC evaporator fins are emulating slinkies
camber still XXXXed
exhaust fixed, then broken again
bedliner removed, you can see the rust now
rockers also visible
new engine, doesn't leak anymore
neither does wp
brakes don't leak either
radiator replaced...
tstat replaced...
ac evaporator removed

It has a million other problems now too.

98 XJ:
* no carpet... who cares
* well, that's about it. This one isn't really that ghetto, that's why I bought it!
:mad:
I jynxed myself hard here.
wwithin 2 months it blew a head gasket, the heater core, the blend door actuator is tiggered up, the exhaust is falling off, wiring harness for the rear wiper and 3rd brake light is XXXXed, the gas gauge dances, the ac failed, transmission is screaming and the transfer case chain is almost done. Oh and the brake lines exploded and the track bar and tie rod are both floppy and loose. It blew the radiator and the upper o2 sensor within a week of purchase.

I have only fixed enough to make it keep moving. You know when something XXXXs with you to the point that you just don't care, and thinking about it just annoys you? Well, it did a good job of that. When the motor finally explodes I will tear the whole thing apart at once and fix everything, until then... the beatings shall continue until morale improves.

Last edited:
Wow, revived a 6 month old thread.

1.) A/C compressor frozen
2.) Belt tensioner bolt broken
3.) Towing package with D35 (GI issue)
4.) Little bit of rust on the rocker panels
5.) Bit of stuttering and hesitation when under load

1) Leaking a ton of oil and transmission fluid
2) Sits lopsided
3) Starting to rust
4) Wheel bearing is toast
5) Buggered up wiring on the e-fan cuases check engine light.

Lets see
Trunk open light and rear defrost light always on
Windows dont work except for driver control
Reverse lights dont work
Aux fan had to be disconnected since it grinds
And my all time favorite. The mechanic that worked on it last had to ask how to start it.

Wow, revived a 6 month old thread.

1.) A/C compressor frozen
2.) Belt tensioner bolt broken
3.) Towing package with D35 (GI issue)
4.) Little bit of rust on the rocker panels
5.) Bit of stuttering and hesitation when under load

No you didn't.

This was created in 2005.

Well lets update it for 2012. My goal is to tick these items off the list sometime in the next seven years.

Red Jeep:
1: Make brakes less scary
2: Kill stupid inverted t steering
3: Get helper battery in place, yellow top blows for starting
4: Install horn
5: Put 1,000 miles on it

'96
1: Replace front calipers
2: Fix oil pan gasket
3: Recover seats
4: Remove dents
5: Paint

1. Rear truss is peeling off of the rear axle of the big Jeep

2. Bumper corner came off the big Jeep so it's time to ditch the headlights

3. Bent A-pillar to B-pillar tube on the passenger side of the big Jeep roof

4. Dangerously worn out battery cables on the little Jeep

5. Possible radiator leak on the little Jeep

1. Water leak on pass side when it rains
2. Droopy headliner
3. Have to keep pushin the button bouta hundred times before the rear door will open
4. AC aint workin
5. Fraid battery cables

EASY PEASY JEEPINEASY

Well lets update it for 2012. My goal is to tick these items off the list sometime in the next seven years.

Red Jeep:
1: Make brakes less scary Still not done but fixing the EGR made them less scary (very low vacuum at idle makes for shitty brakes).
2: Kill stupid inverted t steering Done! Currie Inverted Y in place.
3: Get helper battery in place, yellow top blows for starting That never was my problem. Turned out I had a dirty ignition switch!
4: Install horn Nope.
5: Put 1,000 miles on it Done!

'96
1: Replace front calipers Done!
2: Fix oil pan gasket Nope but blew it up anyway.
3: Recover seats Replaced!
4: Remove dents Yeah right
5: Paint Yeah right

New list?

Big:
1: Invest in proper pitman arm to get rid of slight bumpsteer annoyance.
2: Ditch the slowly dying AW4 for the AX-15 in my side yard.
3: Deeper TC gears for above.
4: Shocks, shocks, shocks.
5: Wheel it?

Little:
1: Fix the god damn engine - Blew the #3 piston skirt off last year.
2: Rear springs that aren't W shaped and don't sag under load.
3: SYE
4: Shocks, shocks, shocks.
5: drive the MFer!

1. Replace ball joints. Got that camber stance yo!
2. Reinstall carpet, toasty feet suck.
3. Fix dash lights, at night I never know how fast I'm going.
4. Fix speedometer, never know how fast I'm going during the day.
5. Brighter headlights.

I'll play:

1. Get the rear re-geared to match the front so I can have 4wd again
2. WJ brake swap on the front and hopefully lose the occasional DW in the process
3. Finish the plating of the rails (fronts are done) before the unibody cracks all to kingdom come (cracks started around hatch/quarter windows)
4. Add SYE to T-case and hopefully lose the oil leak I have there in the process
5. Replace all 5 door seals. Every single one of them has been mangled in at least one spot.

Back