• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FFDynamics shroud kit for triple threat fans

you can reset a breaker, no need to carry spares. just push a button and you're good to go.

Fair enough........... I'm fine with carrying fuses but I see your point.

We got the radiator installed and now we are working on the wiring. The guy who is helping me (who knows a lot more than I do) was thinking that we should put a fuse on each fan for additional protection. He claims that the main fuse that comes with the kit provides some protection, but if it fails, then all the fans fail. With individual fuses for each fan, you would have more protection. What are your thoughts?
It certainly can't hurt.

You simply can't replace a 5200 CFM combo (factory mechanical plus electric) fan with 3300 CFM in the harsh conditions of the desert and expect it to cool the same.

Is 5200 CFM factual information? If it is, then I'm going to refer to that data, I just wasn't able to find that info anywhere else.

i can't believe the "no tech in socal forum" nazis haven't moved this thread to modified tech in the past 3 years. :D

Is 5200 CFM factual information? If it is, then I'm going to refer to that data, I just wasn't able to find that info anywhere else.

I haven't personally seen these numbers in print publications, but from my recollections on doing a lot of reading after my cooling issues, I recall hearing 4000 CFM for the mechanical fan, and 1200 CFM for the aux electric fan.

I can say subjectively that the stock mechanical fan produced significant more airflow through the hood vents that did the FFD electric fans. With the electric fans, you could feel airflow through the vents, but not enough to blow off a piece of cardboard. With the mechanical fan, even with weighting a small piece of cardboard with a small rock, the airflow would blow it off.

Also, for relays and controllers. The included controller worked fine. I did use a single 40 amp fuse, I believe.

David Bricker / SYR

I haven't personally seen these numbers in print publications, but from my recollections on doing a lot of reading after my cooling issues, I recall hearing 4000 CFM for the mechanical fan, and 1200 CFM for the aux electric fan.

I can say subjectively that the stock mechanical fan produced significant more airflow through the hood vents that did the FFD electric fans. With the electric fans, you could feel airflow through the vents, but not enough to blow off a piece of cardboard. With the mechanical fan, even with weighting a small piece of cardboard with a small rock, the airflow would blow it off.

Also, for relays and controllers. The included controller worked fine. I did use a single 40 amp fuse, I believe.

David Bricker / SYR

Okay, that's fair enough. I have my kit installed and so far, I'm very happy with it.

David Bricker / SYR
Mine worked fine for a year or so too but it eventually failed due to too much current over a long period of time. For a primary cooling system I highly recommend using the included controller to switch a high capacity relay or 3 standard relays.

Just an update, I have had the FFD radiator in the vehicle for over 4 years now and it has just started leaking where the tubes go into the tanks. This is likely due to corrosion caused by improper maintenance and not enough antifreeze in the coolant. The radiator has worked very well for the past 4 years and I am very happy with it. I consider the failure to be due mostly to the extreme conditions the radiator has been subjected to and NOT any kind of failure in manufacturing or materials. That being said I am asking them if they will replace the radiator under warranty because I seem to remember they had a lifetime warranty. I could be wrong. I still feel that this radiator is a great buy that is priced competitively with other units. I definitely feel it is of significantly better quality than the other radiators you see online that are made in China.

Keep us updated

...and not enough antifreeze in the coolant...

What percentage antifreeze are you running? I am running 25%, since I want to keep the lowest percentage of antifreeze to promote more efficient cooling. My understanding is that 25% should be sufficient to maintain corrosion protection.

David Bricker / SYR

What percentage antifreeze are you running? I am running 25%, since I want to keep the lowest percentage of antifreeze to promote more efficient cooling. My understanding is that 25% should be sufficient to maintain corrosion protection.

David Bricker / SYR
I was running about 15% with water wetter. I am going to waterless coolant soon.

Back