• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FFDynamics shroud kit for triple threat fans

Really nice write up John. After seeing your's today, it's on my list of upgrades. When you mounted the shrouds to the radiator did you mount them direct to the radiator or did you isolate them? I just wonder about the aluminum shrouds rubbing on the aluminum radiator.
They have some flexible plastic strips that go on the top and bottom edges to isolate them from the radiator.

John

Whats the length and width of the three shrouds together?

Great write up.

O.K. so I went out to Buttercup this weekend and put the Jeep through hell. Here are my impressions of the radiator and fans with the new shroud kit:
Cooldown time- reduced by more than half
Overall keeping the temps down- I'd say about a 15% improvement over the radiator and fans without the shrouds. The shrouds enable the fans to pull air through 100% of the radiator finned area increasing the effective CFM that is doing the cooling.

I started out with the long climb up the mountain at about 70 with the A/C on and the tranny often in 3rd. It definitely took longer to get hot than it did last season when I was running the radiator and fans but no shrouds and it never got as hot as it did last season. I would see the needle just touch the red zone on the gauge last season, this time it didn't get past the 3/4 mark (230*?). The most remarkable thing though is that as soon as you remove the load from the engine (and I think the heat was coming mostly from the tranny anyway, more on that later) you could watch the needle drop back down the gauge. More in the next post, gotta go do something first.

O.K. I had to wait to finish my post. So I got to the desert and aired down to 5PSI and started my normal abuse of my Jeep. I could do about 3 back to back runs up comp hill before the temp would get near the red zone and I would stop at the top of the hill and point the nose into the wind and keep the RPM at about 1100 for 30 seconds and the temp would drop down to about the 3/4 mark. This used to take about 3 minutes to get halfway between the red area and the 3/4 mark.

Now about the tranny, I believe the tranny in my Jeep is long overdue for a rebuild and I think it is getting way too hot so the fluid flowing through the radiator heats the coolant back up before it leaves the radiator making it seem as though the radiator is less efficient than it really is. I plan to remedy this by installing a large tranny cooler with a fan and stop running the tranny fluid through the radiator. I will rebuild the tranny as soon as I can but I will keep the tranny fluid separate from the radiator just because I am so hard on my Jeep and cooler is better.

So to recap, I believe the shroud kit resulted in about a 15% improvement in overall cooling. This is as close as I have seen any system come to matching a properly functioning stock cooling system but without the annoying noise of the steel bladed fan and without sapping some horsepower off your crankshaft. My advice is if you want to go to electric cooling, don't waste your time with parts store cooling fans that will fail when you need them most, if you want a top quality radiator at a very reasonable price that is a direct swap and is more efficient than any copper brass radiator, and if you want a system that that offers easy installation. Go with the FFDynamics system. The abuse I put my Jeep through would have left most other cooling systems crying for their mommy.

AW4s are known for getting HOT fast. i think a cooler would help out, thanks for keeping up updated John!

And for those of you who do not run thier rigs out in the sand.....
there isn't much we do that could possibly get them hotter, faster than a few runs up the dunes.

:cheers:!!!!!

Yeah, I'm sooooo looking forward to a dune trip!
dscn0298.jpg

im 99.99% going to be there for thanksgiving. wont really have a rig to beat on, unless someone wants to buy me a rear DS that will work with a currie SYE :D

Back