• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FFDynamics shroud kit for triple threat fans

So.....I decided I don't like having those zip tie thingys holding my shrouds on because if you need to remove them for some reason, you have to replace the zip ties. So I got me a piece of 3/4" square aluminum tube and mounted it to the bottom side of the shrouds.

DSCF1539.jpg

Then I made some mounts for the top that slide under the stock rubber mounts that sit on top of the radiator.

DSCF1541.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

I used rivnuts and machine screws to attach the 3/4" piece to the fan shrouds and the mounting tabs on the bottom of the radiator.

DSCF1540.jpg

I taped up the gaps using some aluminum tape.

DSCF1538.jpg

Then, while I was trying to figure out how I could mount a tranny cooler I had a thought. The air coming through the passenger side of the radiator should be significantly cooler than the tranny fluid so it should work to mount the cooler behind the radiator with one of the fans mounted on it.

This is what it will look like. The cool thing is that the cooler has holes that match the mounting holes in the fan so all I have to do is get long enough srews to go through the fan and past the cooler and into the rivnuts in the shroud. I just might run the ppower steering fluid through the radiator where the tranny fluid was.

DSCF1543.jpg

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg

More on this after it's installed and I test it. I am expecting a dramatic improvement in engine cooling with the tranny fluid not going through the radiator.

Last night when I was running the engine to warm it up I put my hand behind the fan on the passenger side and then the one on the driver side. The difference in Temp was like 30*. I didn't measure it but the air coming through the driver side of the radiator was cold and on the passenger side it was about 110* or so.

Did you get the shroud kit from FF Dynamics too? On ebay the ad with the three fans actually talk about the flat shrouds decreasing air flow when the vehicle is moving. Even if true, it seems like the benefit at low speeds would be worth it. I think I may try this combo for my 5.3L swap. Any updates on the tranny cooler install?

Did you get the shroud kit from FF Dynamics too? On ebay the ad with the three fans actually talk about the flat shrouds decreasing air flow when the vehicle is moving. Even if true, it seems like the benefit at low speeds would be worth it. I think I may try this combo for my 5.3L swap. Any updates on the tranny cooler install?
The temp never goes above about 190* when I'm moving at or near freeway speed. I got the tranny cooler in and as far as I can tell it works awesome. I will be trying another style of cooler in the near future to see how it works. I will post up when I do that. At some point I will also install an engine oil cooler with it's own fan. I want to be able to run in the desert at 100*+ without having to stop to cool down.

Nice write-up. I was wondering about this setup. So the fan shrouds are included in the kit? I didn't see them listed on the website.

I'm not sure if they are included now or not. The ones I got were pre-production.

I been emailing them back and forth and they said the EXTREME TT kit comes with the shrouds for $375 shipped. The regular TT kit does not include the shrouds and comes out to $275 shipped.

How did you manage to keep your temps at around 190? Mine's always hovering on the 210 mark. Do you think the TT kit will lower my temps to around 200? I'm trying to cure my misfire and to do that I need to lower the temp.

I been emailing them back and forth and they said the EXTREME TT kit comes with the shrouds for $375 shipped. The regular TT kit does not include the shrouds and comes out to $275 shipped.

How did you manage to keep your temps at around 190? Mine's always hovering on the 210 mark. Do you think the TT kit will lower my temps to around 200? I'm trying to cure my misfire and to do that I need to lower the temp.
Your misfire is likely one of the causes of high temps. The fans and radiator could in theory keep your temps that low if the rest of the systems are functioning properly but if there are problems elsewhere even the best cooling system might not be able to give you the temps you want.

Your misfire is likely one of the causes of high temps. The fans and radiator could in theory keep your temps that low if the rest of the systems are functioning properly but if there are problems elsewhere even the best cooling system might not be able to give you the temps you want.

My cooling system is working properly. It never goes above 210, even with my e-fan not functioning at all. I know the misfire is heat related cuz if I leave the hood open when it's parked I never get a misfire. It's the stupid heat soak issue on the 00-01's. I'm trying to rig up a timer to keep the e-fan on after shutdown but that's complicated and not working out well. I have one more setup I want to try first though....

John, any more feedback on how this radiator has been working for you?

Does anybody know how many cores are in this radiator? I've looked all over and haven't been able to find anything except for a hint that its a single core rad on FFDynamics website? It won't be a deal breaker but I'm just curious.
100% Full Aluminum Core and Extra Thick End Caps
I'm starting to see a slight seep from my stock radiator and I'm considering upgrading to this setup.

The one thing about their site that I don't like is that there is no phone number listed or what state they are in. I sent them an Email requesting the info but if anybody here has it it would be appreciated.

~Alex

They are located in New Jersey. The phone number I have for them is 609-333-2618. Getting someone to answer was hit or miss. There are two cores in the radiator, with quite wide spacing to allow airflow through the radiator.

Some of my experience, if you're interested. I also was running the FF Dynamics radiator, with the fan shrouds. The fan setup is very clean. I did just bolt the shrouds together, but I mounted them to the bottom of the radiator with a 1" wide strip of aluminum bar. I didn't want the weight of the fan and shroud assembly relying on the plastic through-straps on the radiator core. Sounds like John and I had very similar ideas.

Unfortunately, I didn't have as much luck as John. He and I communicated last year, during the summer when I was fighting our cooling issues.

FF Dynamics did a commendable job of trying to help me with our cooling issue. Unfortunately, in Death Valley in the summer, we still hit 230+. I did take significant readings in a variety of conditions with a laser temperature sensor. Below 90 degrees ambient temperature, the Heep stayed at 210. Above 90, we couldn't keep it below 230. I have an AX-15, so trans temps were not an issue. The problem was load related.

My son spent a lot of time working on this in the summer of 2009, while he was in Death Valley. This included engine flushes, thermostat replacements, a second FF Dynamics radiator, new radiator cap, cylinder head rebuild, including hot tanking and magnafluxing, combustion leak testing, etc. The final resolution was to replace the electric fans with a factory mechanical, ZJ fan clutch and stock electric fan. I am still running the FF Dynamics radiator.

In talking at length with their lead tech, we came to the conclusion that I just wasn't getting enough CFM through the radiator. High temps and low humidity contributed to the problem. The CFM difference between the FF Dynamics fans (1100 CFM each) and the factory mechanical fan was significant. With the FF Dynamics fans, the hood vents had no discernible air coming out of them. With the stock fan, the air from the vents was significant. Yes, it is very loud, but I'd rather have loud than hot.

So, our temps aren't perfect at this point, but we're running. I didn't run this summer, so don't have additional detail from this year. I think next year I will be adding an oil cooler to provide a bit better margin of cooling.

The FF Dynamics radiator is very well put together, and I think would work well in most situations. The fan shrouds certainly help, as John mentions, in improving cooling. My temperature readings with and without the shrouds appeared to provide about 10% improvement, right up to the point of saturating the radiator with heat.

David Bricker / SYR

I have since discovered the fan control that was included cannot handle the current draw of the 3 fans. I had 2 relays burn out with significan signs of overheating in the fan controller itself. The fix was to use the included fan control and relay to trigger a 75 amp relay to supply the fans. This helped about as much as installing the shrouds did. The fans were not pulling as much air as they could due to a lack of current.

I have since discovered the fan control that was included cannot handle the current draw of the 3 fans. I had 2 relays burn out with significan signs of overheating in the fan controller itself. The fix was to use the included fan control and relay to trigger a 75 amp relay to supply the fans. This helped about as much as installing the shrouds did. The fans were not pulling as much air as they could due to a lack of current.

John, I had the same issue. Some of the cabling going to the controller partly melted. The relay contacts had signs of burning on them, and a 30 amp fuse I had inline blew. The fans supposedly only draw about 6 amps each, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

David Bricker / SYR

I did this 6 months ago, works great.

Thanks for the input. Are you saying that the stock radiator & fan setup works better than the FFDynamics setup? Just want to make sure I don't spend extra money to get a less efficient system.

The FFD website doesn't show how the controller works, but do you think that 3 relays wired directly to the battery, each with their own fuse (10A?) wired to the control module would give the fans all the power they want?

I will have to put a call into FFDynamics tomorrow and see what they have to say about the relay situation.

Dave, how long did it take to heat soak the radiator and what were you doing?

~Alex

Back