• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box install (56k beware)

Since the Durango box has a larger bore, you need to space the box out from the frame 1/4". I just got some 1/8" hardened washers and used two for each bolt.

And specify a 99 Durango 4X4 w/ V8.

Last edited:
Can one of ya'll that have done this take a measurement from the inside of the frame rail to the outter-most (widest) part of the box. I need to know if this will interefere with my hidden winch mount. Thanks

I have 110K on my 98 XJ box and am starting to wonder if it might be time to replace my steering box.

The Dakota/Durango steering box specs: http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...er=277580&Description=Power+Steering+Gear+Box

The XJ steering box specs: http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...er=277582&Description=Power+Steering+Gear+Box

Not that NAPA's specs are to be considered gospel, but it does state that the turn to locks is 3 3/8 for each gear box. Unfortunately it doesn't include other information such as the piston diameter, etc.

These boxes are $222 with the core charge and $179 without. It doesn't mention if they're remanufactured or not. Usually when things are remanufactured NAPA's website has a mention of it. Not sure if they have a lifetime warranty, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I am curious about variable assist as well. I always thought that it allowed for normal pressure around town where slower speeds require more oomph to turn the wheels. Then at highway speeds it dials back the boost as then it easier to turn the wheels. Am I even close?

I assume the dak/rango box is variable assist; how would a non-variable assist box act on a daily-driven jeep?

Is this swap as straight forward as it appears with virtually no down side?

Frank Z said:
A little write up that may be of interest....
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103

Perfect timing Frank! Exactly what I meant by is this as straight forward as it appears or is there any gotchas. I have read a number of threads over the last year and a half and now that you mention it I do remember some threads mentioning not getting full lock-to-lock steering. I'll have to hit search some more, but was the steering box always the culprit? Was a particular parts store steering box at fault or is this a issue common with the dak/rango boxes?

To the best of my knowledge all of the '99 and up Durango boxes are built the same. That means they all have the spacer behind the rack piston.

The installation of the gearbox is very simple. Add an additional 1/4" spacer between the box and the frame rail and you're good to go.

Stop to stop steering is another story. As I stated in the thread I posted above, I did not have the tight turning radius like I did when the heep was stock.

I should point out that my steering setup and knuckles are far from stock, but I really don't think that had anything to do with the loss of turning radius.

Frank Z said:
To the best of my knowledge all of the '99 and up Durango boxes are built the same. That means they all have the spacer behind the rack piston.

The installation of the gearbox is very simple. Add an additional 1/4" spacer between the box and the frame rail and you're good to go.

Stop to stop steering is another story. As I stated in the thread I posted above, I did not have the tight turning radius like I did when the heep was stock.

I should point out that my steering setup and knuckles are far from stock, but I really don't think that had anything to do with the loss of turning radius.

Interesting...

Okay... Look at the following links:

98 Gear box: http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...er=277580&Description=Power+Steering+Gear+Box

99 Gear box: http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...er=277588&Description=Power+Steering+Gear+Box

The 99 does have a different lock-to-lock than the 98 which is identical to the XJ's. Oddly the 99 is more expensive as well. Perhaps that is the root of the problem with the people that have lost turning radius. They bought a 99 box that doesn't turn as far and whammo your wheels don't turn as far!

Possible explanation??

If the 98 is a bolt-in without tearing a fresh box apart, I would be willing to go the 98 dak/rango route.

Any thoughts?

In 98 there were two front end options available on the Dodge Durango. You could get it with or without the snow plow option. The "With" option got you a larger steering box, basically the same as the '99 gear box. The "Without" option got you a durango with the steering box that was very similiar, if not indentical, to the OEM XJ box.

Make sense?

Adding a small 98 box defeats the purpose of getting a Durango box. The larger box really holds up well to larger tires, especially when you wheel on rocks.

Frank Z said:
In 98 there were two front end options available on the Dodge Durango. You could get it with or without the snow plow option. The "With" option got you a larger steering box, basically the same as the '99 gear box. The "Without" option got you a durango with the steering box that was very similiar, if not indentical, to the OEM XJ box.

Make sense?

Adding a small 98 box defeats the purpose of getting a Durango box. The larger box really holds up well to larger tires, especially when you wheel on rocks.

I completely understand, but I am choosing the steering box with the snow plow option. So the linked box is the correct one.

About the core charge. I bought the durango box but returned the xj box. They look almost identical and the way I see it is that they STILL get a used box. The one I ordered had to come from Cali and the old one got sent back too. The A.Z guys had no clue - they just made sure something was in the box. I say - get your money back!

Frank Z said:
Yep, It's the same NAPA # as the one in my write-up.

Weird. NAPA's description for part #NSP277588

w/o Snow Plow Package (AHH) Chrysler Corporation"Sales Codes" are Found on the "Body Code" Plate Located on the Left Front Side Shield, Wheel Housing, or the Upper Radiator Support

NAPA's description for part #NSP277580

w/ Snow Plow Package (AHH) Chrysler Corporation"Sales Codes" are Found on the "Body Code" Plate Located on the Left Front Side Shield, Wheel Housing, or the Upper Radiator Support

Perhaps they have their descriptions reveresed in their database?

FWIW, after installation of a 99 Durango box in my Jeep, I have a very tight turning radius, even with a front locker. I forget the remanufacturer's name, but I got it at Parts Plus.

Anyone know if the Durango box will work in a 95 ZJ? My steering box leaks and I need to replace it sometime soon, and this looks like a good option...

I am in the middle of putting the 99 durango box on my 98 and I cant get the intermediate shaft into the gearbox. Did any one have this problem, or are there any tricks to get it back in. It looks simple up the senough, line quared ends and push togather, but I cant get it to slide on the input.

Hate to dig up an old thread but if I was about to do this mod and wanted to test whether or not the durango box has the spacers/limited travel I could measure the angular displacement of my current box via something like a protractor and compare it to how much the durango box will rotate? Just checking.

Tyler Forbes

Hey there, i'm about to do the same mod but with a 97-98 dodge dakota steering box. Can anyone verify that this is the same as the 99 durango? The dimensions seem to be the same, and i used a 98 dakota box on my 2000 TJ in the past. I just wanna make sure before ordering (it's the only one they had, and for $107 it's a killer deal).

Chris

Back