• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless XJ's

xjj33p3r said:
How big of a blade can you get for a dremel in order for it to cut all the way through???

I think I found 2" blades....but you have to get a different arbor for it. Just be careful so you don't burn up the dremel.

jeepguy97 said:
Well it is definatly against PA laws to remove the doors because vehicle code states that unless they are meant to be removable (i.e. Wranglers) they must be intact. Dammit I guess I'm gonna have to move, :bawl: I guess I thought all states would say something about it.
where did you find that info? I would say SPOBI! I found the codes on the internet and read them all, NOWHERE does it say what you wrote above. What it does say in the Vehicle Code (Title 75), Part IV (Vehicle Characteristics), Chapter 41 (Equipment Standards), Section 4107 (Unlawful Activities), Subsection (b)1. (Other Violations) is: "It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following: Willfully or intentionally remove (other than for purposes of repair and replacement) or render inoperative, in whole or in part, any item of vehicle equipment which was required to be installed at the time of manufacture or thereafter upon any vehicle, by any law, rule, regulation or requirement of any officer or agency of the United States or of the Commonwealth, if it is intended that the vehicle be operated upon the highways of this Commonwealth unless the removal or alteration is specifically permitted by this title or by regulations promulgated by the department."
There is no specific rule I could find anywhere that says doors have to be installed except by inference that if the manufacturer says install them, then install them, but there is NO law that says they must be there. If there was, it would apply to the TJ too. At any rate, according to what is written above, ALL modifications to your jeep are unlawful. The way i see it is, to get around the "render inoperative" portion of what's written, replace your doors with a simple 5lb tube door, and you are not violating any laws.

§ 175.77. Body.

Section (f)
Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

heres another idea that might work although i dont know if you want all this work. Take the dremel a cut the head of the bolt down the middle so a flat head screw driver could fit in it. (this is were it gets long) take of the fenders and stick a flat head screw driver in through the holes in the back part of the hinge. This why you can loosen it up with the door closed and then take it the rest of the way out with a pair of vise grips. This will take a little bit longer, but hey it might work. Good luck

Island XJ said:
where did you find that info? I would say SPOBI! I found the codes on the internet and read them all, NOWHERE does it say what you wrote above. What it does say in the Vehicle Code (Title 75), Part IV (Vehicle Characteristics), Chapter 41 (Equipment Standards), Section 4107 (Unlawful Activities), Subsection (b)1. (Other Violations) is: "It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following: Willfully or intentionally remove (other than for purposes of repair and replacement) or render inoperative, in whole or in part, any item of vehicle equipment which was required to be installed at the time of manufacture or thereafter upon any vehicle

doesnt that first rule say what he said?? i dont think an XJ could have come out of the factory w/o doors.

Island XJ said:
What it does say in the Vehicle Code (Title 75), Part IV (Vehicle Characteristics), Chapter 41 (Equipment Standards), Section 4107 (Unlawful Activities), Subsection (b)1. (Other Violations) is: "It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following: Willfully or intentionally remove (other than for purposes of repair and replacement) or render inoperative, in whole or in part, any item of vehicle equipment which was required to be installed at the time of manufacture or...

So...XJs came from the factory in a doorless option?

Fergie

Fergie said:
So...XJs came from the factory in a doorless option?

Fergie

Yeah, it's called the Ghetto Option. :laugh:

No 4 tired on-road vehicles have come from the factory without doors, except the 1st military flatties, but those weren't civilian.

xjj33p3r said:
halfdoor2.JPG

How did you do that? That's pretty dang sweet. But, I really would like a window or maybe some kind of soft cover for that area

Well I haven't done a write up yet, I did the first door as kind of a test to see how it would all work out. I am going to be doing the pass side door soon, and will be taking photos and doing a write up as I do that side.

I still have the full door, just lift off one and put the other one back on. I can change doors in less than a minute. I am thinking that when I have both doors to carry around that I'll get a hitch type bike carrier to carry the doors off the back of the Jeep. One door kinda fills up the cargo area.

Redcbr007 said:
I wouldn't drink too much of that windshield wiper fluid :D

Maybe that's why I didn't feel so good later that day!?!?

JEONLYEP said:
Well I haven't done a write up yet, I did the first door as kind of a test to see how it would all work out. I am going to be doing the pass side door soon, and will be taking photos and doing a write up as I do that side.

I still have the full door, just lift off one and put the other one back on. I can change doors in less than a minute. I am thinking that when I have both doors to carry around that I'll get a hitch type bike carrier to carry the doors off the back of the Jeep. One door kinda fills up the cargo area.

Maybe that's why I didn't feel so good later that day!?!?
I remember seeing that rig in Ouray this summer. Very slick!

Yall are assuming that the cops know the law. I have had all 4 off for over 3 months and driven past multiple cops with no action taken by them. I was pulled over for not having mirrors, but got out of the ticket. I wouldn't worry about the Police pulling you over--

Well, I burned out my dremel. Yay! I need a new tool to get this done. I almost got through both hinges, but there was a tiny piece left that the dremel couldn't reach since the blade was pretty worn by then, and ya can't really see too well in there anyways. I'll keep trying if someone will lend me a sawzall

jeepguy97 said:
§ 175.77. Body.

Section (f)
Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.
Thanks for posting that. You could of course argue that (a) an OEM YJ half hard door is original equipment; I've seen some of those in NAXJA previously. (b) According to that section, it's allowable to modify the vehicle to the point that there is no side or roof...and if you do that the doors don't have to open or close securely. If you can remove the sides, you can remove the doors.

That was my point, if it has sides or a roof as most XJs do, it must have doors, although you are correct you could say that YJ half doors were original and most cops probably wouldn't think twice about it. :thumbup:

I've gotten some stares from officers with mine, never stopped. But that might just be Kansas.

One more thing that I think I'll throw out in to the mix is, the other day I noticed that the rubber that holds the rear window in the hatch was still 100% on the glass, but was only 60% still in the hatch. (Most of the top and 3/4's of the drivers side were loose)

This was after a hour drive on the interstate at 70 so miles an hour. Anyway, I'm looking into putting some type of catch onto the hatch that help hold the window from coming out. Just a thought for people that are thinking of running doorless. It might just be my Jeep, but the back window isn't a very tight fit in the hatch.

Last edited:
Im just trying to get up to all your amount posts Rev. . .my question was answered on the first page, but I enjoy reading everything else people are writing.

ucilxj said:
you think the glass was comming out from running doorless? what do you mean by a catch?

I'm not sure if it was from the half door or from twisting and such. Either way I was about to lose the rear glass.

I was thinking about 4 pieces of 1 inch by 4 inch by 1/8th inch steal mounted about 5 inches in from the corners on the top and bottom. Mounted to the hatch and bent to follow the profile of the hatch to the glass. Probably with some type of rubber pad either on the glass or the catch so as to not have glass to metal contact. Will be doing this, this week so I'll have photos and such later if anyone's interested.

ucilxj said:
my question was answered on the first page, but I enjoy reading everything else people are writing.

I bet it was my idea of the fold away mirror on the fender! Opps I didn't say that the mirrors on my half door fold in for those really tight spots.

Back