• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless XJ's

hjeepxj said:
That's because you used the wrong size. ;)
I used the right size, I promise you. It fit into the torx pattern with no problem, but once I started turning, it rounded off. I got 2 or 3 of the bolts out of several of the doors, but not all the bolts were so easy

xjj33p3r said:
I used the right size, I promise you. It fit into the torx pattern with no problem, but once I started turning, it rounded off. I got 2 or 3 of the bolts out of several of the doors, but not all the bolts were so easy

Any time I have ever used torx's, if you have the right size, they won't strip, if you press hard enough.

And there are extremely obscure sizes that are hard to find...

That might have been my problem, pressing hard enough. At that angle, it was hard to get a good push into the bolts, and that's how I was able to get some out, but not all

jeepguy97 said:
Yea, except Wranglers come with removable doors from the factory. If it's not a factory option it is illegal to remove the doors and operate it on the street, and if you are only going to remove the doors on the trail, you wouldn't need mirrors anyway.
It's come up many times, are you sure it's illegal under PA law? I'm pretty sure it's fine elsewhere in less restrictive states

jeepguy97 said:
Yea, except Wranglers come with removable doors from the factory. If it's not a factory option it is illegal to remove the doors and operate it on the street, and if you are only going to remove the doors on the trail, you wouldn't need mirrors anyway.

I heard you guys have some strict vehicle rules there in PA, probably not as bad as our emission laws here in Cali though. You should be fine without doors just as long as you can get some sort of mirrors on your rig. Why should CJ/YJ/TJ guys have all the fun? I had 3 YJ's and I liked removing those doors, but they do give you a little more protection from stuff coming in the cab in a rollover.
Troy

xjj33p3r said:
As soon as you get those torque bolts out of there, if you can. Then get some standard hex bolts so they will be easier to remove in the future. I hate those darn things. I round them out too on my YJ, I had to use a tap kit on some of them after rounding them out. You can sometimes get a larger size in there by hammering it in there and then you will get a little more bite. Also try getting a torque bit socket so you can use a rachet instead of that crappy little torque key thingy that you turn by hand, you're bound to round your torque bolt with that thing anyways no matter how much pressure you apply to it especially in Rust Belt states/or old xj's.
Troy

yeah its a bitch when they get rounded off but i found that it works really good to use a pair of vise grips, takes a ilttle longer but still gets them off

Well, I'm stumped. I tried removing the pin, and it didn't work. I've tried countless times to remove the bolts, even with vise grips, and it didn't work. How exactly did yall knock the pin out? The angle is so weird that I can't find anyway to hit it dead on. This is proving to be very tedious, but I want to get this done

xjj33p3r said:
Well, I'm stumped. I tried removing the pin, and it didn't work. I've tried countless times to remove the bolts, even with vise grips, and it didn't work. How exactly did yall knock the pin out? The angle is so weird that I can't find anyway to hit it dead on. This is proving to be very tedious, but I want to get this done
I used an air hammer with a tapered end.

Use a 3" cut-off wheel and cut the lower hinge and then hit the heck...out of it....on the drivers side this will work great, tack weld the pins in the top of the door hinge. On the Passenger side watch out b/c the head of the pin is on the bottom....make sure someone is there to hold the door for you....as far as the mirror goes, go to Wally world and get one for a bicycle, and then find a spotter at Auto Zone the same size and bolt it through the hinge hole, or make a tube and bolt it through the tubing...(I will post pictures of mine) as soon as the flood stops..

I really wish I had an air hammer to do it with.

And 95xj, please post pics as soon as you can so I can see what you did with your doors. Thanks

xjj33p3r said:
I had a long peice of metal that i used to hit the pin out on the passenger side. It took a whole lot of pounding, some skills with a screw driver and some liquid wrench. Its very tedious but worth it in my opinion

Well it is definatly against PA laws to remove the doors because vehicle code states that unless they are meant to be removable (i.e. Wranglers) they must be intact. Dammit I guess I'm gonna have to move, :bawl: I guess I thought all states would say something about it.

yeah, but on the passenger side of the door, make sure you take out the pin, cause It will need to be flipped, and when doing that in just weld a bolt in through the top

Well, once I solve the dilema of actually getting that bolt out, I'll do all that stuff with flipping the bolt on the passenger side. Is there ANY way that taking out that bolt can be done easier with some common tools? Would heating up the bolt help any?

use a chisel and hammber and beat the heck out of it and you might be able to get it to turn or just brake it off.

in oregon all you need is one legal mirror and no doors is just fine been pulled over with no door and they didnt say a thing about it just the tires haning out to far and no mudflaps is what they wanted to talk about.

who ever built the half doors on page one in the red jeep those are awsome. im gonna builds some this winter what di you use to cap them off. and what door latch handle is that off of. very clean.

Cut the bottom of the hinge off with a dremel tool....it'll look like this:

IMG_2694-2.jpg

You'll then have access to the bolts.....You'll probably have to cut the head off if you rounded out the inside. Then you'll either have to use an easy out to get the stud out or some vice grips.

Check my writeup here:

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/doorless.htm

I've actually tried using a dremel, no matter how dorky that sounds, that little thing has helped me with a lot of little projects. Unfortunately, the blade I was using wasn't wide enough, so it was only able to cut about halfway through the hinge. Either way, I tried telling my dad about what I was planning on doing with the doors for "trail riding only" and he dismissed the whole idea as unsafe... I'm still going to do it out of spite though. How big of a blade can you get for a dremel in order for it to cut all the way through???

Back