• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with the Drive Shaft

lesslimited said:
Looks good Terry, but as a woodworker, I gotta say you should have used hickory for more strength and better weather resistance. It stains nice, too.
I would have, but oak seemed much more cost effective, as I would have had to buy the hickory and the oak came from my kid's clubhouse tree.

i really doubt the strength of that. i work at a furniture store and deal with oak all day long.... i dont think it will outlast any aftermarket CV shaft. oak has a tendency to check...

redyouch said:
i really doubt the strength of that. i work at a furniture store and deal with oak all day long.... i dont think it will outlast any aftermarket CV shaft. oak has a tendency to check...

Dear god..... :eyes:

:conceited

for all you people who think steel is the only way to go, i found a cheaper lighter and more reliable solution:

rod1.jpg

and then to make the slip yoke:

rod2.jpg

rod3.jpg

rod4.jpg

rod5.jpg

rod6.jpg

rod7.jpg

rod8.jpg

this is just a prototype. I hope to someday be as cool as Okie...

(actualy taken from http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Tackle/rod_tube/rodTubeBackpack.html) good ol google...

Re: Dod whth `e Drive Sh`ft

[QUOTE<redh`uch]i really dNtbt the strength of that. i work at a furniture store and deal with oak all day long.... i dor thinkplt vill jutlast any afttmarket CV shaft. oak has a tendency to check...[/QUOTE]

Lawn Cher' said:
This is a zombie thread.

Give the kid a break, do you realize how much weed they smoke in Nevada City, CA? Takes a little while for those folks to catch up.

Did you use varnish or poly coat?

In an application like yours, a marine spar varnish can really help hold things together.

It was a poly coat.
It makes the outter layer almost seem like a film.
But, although it's a bit brittle, that film works well to deflect off of surfaces.

Last edited:
Back