• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with lift, need gears & lockers??

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys finished the 5.5RE kit on my 2000XJ with 33 MTR's SYE and CV. Its awesome drives great, I definetly want to gear it I was going to go for 4.56 for my D30 and 8.25 my confusion is what lockers to do so I wanted to post to get your feedback on setups I did a search but I still have questions.. I want to do a Detriot in the rear but up front I dont know?? I really want to do an ARB in the front but I dont have 1000 bucks for the locker and Compressor what is an alternative in the front that is still good for on the street cause this is my daily driver. I was thinking lockright or tru-trac but not sure I was alos thinkming myabe its just better lockin the rear for now and waiting till I get the money for the ARB and doing it then. What do you guys think, Thanks

I have a lockright in my D30 it is fine on the street and on the trails, but I kinda worry about how well it is going to hold up after a while. The trew trac is not going to lockup 100% like the lockright or an ARB but I think it might do very good on the trails as well.

I think detroit makes what they call a c-locker for the 8.25" but I could be wrong. I kinda want to put a Detroit in my D44 when funds allow, but it is like $500. a guy in my area has a built 8.25 with 4.11? gears and some sort of locker for sale.. ill try to find a link for you

don't you have the low pinion D30 in your though? I? would consider swapping it out for a HP 30, it is a little stronger and should give a better pinion angle as well.

Yeah I have the LP30, If I can find a HP 30 I would but I am kinda low on funds right now, I am just thinking of doing the 4.56's front and rear and a detriot in the 8.25 and leaving the front open for know when I get the funds I will do the ARB in the front. Hows this setup on the trails just running the rear locked??

It should run really good with the rear locked. with that and the 231 case, you will always have at least 3 wheels spinning.

I am planning on going with 4.88's with (auto transmission) 33's (eventually 35's) cause I only want to do it once.

I would do 4.88's but I cant in the 8.25 I would run a 44 but I think the 8.25 is plenty strong. Even if I went to 35's 4.56's wouldnt be that bad I think. So you have had no problems with the lockright in the front I am wondering how is it in 4wd like in the snow? Also is it noisy on the street how is your turning with it.

Not too many choices for the 8.25. Detroit Locker (DET187C-179A), Auburn HP limited slip (AG 542074) or the Dana Trac Lok limited slip (DAN75997X). I just installed in my 97 the Trac Lok in the 8.25 and a Detroit Truetrac in the front with 4.56 gearing. Since I live in snow country I felt best with the limited slip over a locker but other XJ'ers have no problems with Detroits in the rear and snow. I am now installing the Superlift Truspeed recalibration unit for the gearing and tire size change to see if I can get my speedo back.

couple of things here...

yes your stuck with the 4.56's. since your up in PA (right?) a locker in the rear is probably fine if your willing to re-learn some snow driving technics. and I will be honest, I don't know my axle from a hole in the wall because I am 2 miles from the beach in southern california so all I know about snow is how to have fun, not living day to day... so the recomendation for a locker in the rear is more of a general concensus.
locker options for the rear, detroit, auburn gear LS, OEM tracloc, ARB, powertrax no-slip.

I have found the no-slip to be a little quieter than the detroit, the d44 detroit I currently have seems to be a little wilder than the 8.25 no-slip I ran for 4 years.
in the front you will want to run a true trac. it still provides the street manners your looking for in 4wd on wet pavment, but its biased to lockup more quicly than a clutch type LS>

and why did'nt you just get the correct size speedo gear from the dealr?

Well I"m no expert about lockers and snow driving but I installed a noslip into my 8.25 last year in the fall. Since then I took it into the mountains about 3 times when I went skiing and 2 of those times it was snowing and icy: one time snowing really bad and a second time it was icy from the snow melting the evening before and freezing over night. In any case the noslip rode differnt but I think it took me a few hundred yards to get a feel for it. Anyways, from my experience the automatic lockers dont seem too bad in snow although they will make things "different". Oh and since then I have a detroit now (different rear axle) and I have to say that the detroit feels a lot smoother on the road so it should behave a lot nicer in snow/ice.

My plan is to do Warn Full Floating in the front, then spool it. It's cheap it works, and your hubs will unlock and spin freely when ur on the road.

Just my two cents.

uh, warn full floater kit is cheap? the Yukon kit is about $900. how is that cheap considering a detroit for the D30 is only $400 and a TT is only $300...

So you guys think i should do a tru-trac or a lockright in the front.. I was juts going to leave it open and then doing a ARB when I get the cash for it . I am just worried about street manners with a tru-trac in the front especially in 4wd. What did you mean about getting the right size peedo gear from the dealer?

I ran a True Trac in the front 30 of my MJ for a couple of seasons... in 2WD it is invisible, and in 4WD it has some torque steer, but not bad or undrivable (I had to ride it 500 miles in front wheel drive only... and it was only noticible when taking low-speed sharp turns - like pulling out of a paved driveway onto a paved road )

I only had one opportunity to try it on snowy pavement... (TT front/spool rear) and it was much more predictable than open diffs IMHO. Different, yes, but in a good way.

I am planning to swap the TT30 axle into my daily driver XJ... and am considering a matching True Trac rear or spending the extra $200-+ for the full Detroit...sort of leaning to the Detroit, but I'd likely be well suited with a TT front & rear 99% of the time (mine won't be a hardcore trail rig, but it might get into a bit of rough stuff on occasion)

Ya gotta be honest with yourself and to what extreme you are building the rig. For tough trails -ones with lots of 2 and 3 wheeling obstacles- anything less than lockers at both ends may dissapoint you. For more 'normal' trails, and with a flexy suspension that helps keep the wheels stuck to the terrain, limited slips will help make moderate stuff seem easy and easy stuff boring. Anything is better than open F & R IMHO.

Back