• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need more lift for my shocks?

Double Down said:
Okay, well here is where I am confused. I understand about the drop brackets and long arms now, but my confusion is probably a newbie. What I don't get is that after looking at everything, with my current shock, I'm guessing that I will have to bumpstops that hit before the shock bottoms out right? So even if I lift the front end another 1.5 - 2" which I am doing with spacers, I will still have to put in bumpstops that hit before the shock bottoms out right? So with my current setup, won't that limit the upward travel that the shock and tire can go? Obviously my extended length will be great, won't the ability to compress be hindered? And if this is true, does that mean if I go to a shorter shock, that more fits my lift, that my upward travel will be greater since there will be more shock to compress before bottoming out versus now?

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)
you are correct. to get more uptravel you will need a shorter shock, or mount the shock you have lower on the axle.

bottom line... get the lift where you want it, then look at your shocks and decide if they offer enough up travel. if not, order shorter shocks. If they do give enough up travel, set your bumpstops so they hit about 1" before the shocks bottom out. All the while...keep downward travel in mind. if yu go with a short shock fot TONS of up travel, you may not have enought down travel.

Like has been said, you can also change the lower mounting position on the axle to fit a longer shock or fine tune things. sounds like youre figuring it out. g'luck

Double Down said:
Thanks, but which is the better solution? Shorter shocks or relocating the shock mounts on the axle and how do you go about doing that...meaning where do you locate them? Any pics I could see?

Thanks,

Chris
to move it down will require some custom fabrication/welding. if you have the top of the shock converted to an eye with the bolt running front-to-rear, then I would weld a mount onto the lower part of the knuckle with the bolt also facing front-to-rear.

BrettM said:
PrerunnerXJ, why the lighter valving on the Bilsteins? most XJs run the 255/70 valving

it was riding pretty darn stiff before, and with the ligher valving i fly through the whoops (im building a prerunner) with no problems at all. granted i am running 12" stroke fox remote resis in back with a broken in RE spring pack, so the ride is firm, but not objectionally so. i like how it rides now, not too stiff, not too soft.

DOUBLE DOWN: im running the 4.5" RE coils which gave me a gracious 5-5.25" of lift and im about to throw in a pair of 1.75" daystar poly spacers. for the rear im running 3.5" RE leaves. it sits level and everything is hunky dory. and yes they're the 11" stroke 5150s.

Now here's a question for you all. Should I just go out and get RE's 4.5 ZJ coils to lift up the front and keep the shocks I have now or should I purchase the smaller 5150 shocks? With the front sitting the way it is now, I was planning on putting a 2" spacer on the coils to raise up the front to be level with the back, if not a little higher. So which one would be a better option; putting on the spacers or just buying 4.5 ZJ coils. The coils on the XJ right now are Rusty's 4.5" which is what I was told when bought them, but for some reason the Jeep seems to sit higher than that. Will the ZJ coils be any higher or help out my situation?

Actually :laugh3: what is the best situation for me right now? I have front shocks too long up front, but the front needs to be raised 2". Should I swap the shocks for shorter ones or just raise the front?

Thanks,

Chris

the ZJ 4.5" coils will give you like 5.5-6.5" of lift, same as throwing in a 2" spacer. its really up to you... id rather have the zj 4.5" coils, as throwing in a spacer can make it easier for your coil fall out at full droop (less bumpstop post for the coil to wrap aroud, less amount of metal the coil has to clear to fall out). id say the 2" spacer is fine though, consider the price difference too. a pair of RE coils thru 4wp is like $180, and spacers are like $30. so its up to you to decide... id stay with the same amount of travel your shocks have, maybe just pound in the stock barpins to lower the mount back to stock, thats what i did.

just to throw another wrench in your gears- why would you want the nose to sit higher than the rear unloaded? almost every rig i've seen (minus prerunners) is set up the opposite....rear a lttle higher. the reason being when you load up the cargo area with tools,ice chest,spares, gear,beverages,etc when you go wheeling your rig sits evenly . just another thought.... :jester: have fun

Back