• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decided to cut up the XJ .. lots of pics

here are 2 pics showing the lock inside the tailgate

100_2089.jpg

100_2090.jpg

Great job, like the usable rear hatch...sweeet.

Awesome work and I'm definately not bashing here, but if people ride in the back seat won't their heads be awful close to that back glass? Of course, that would be a great reason for me to tell them to just stay home!

Look here
We did alot the same thing to a 2 door last week end here in kansas. Not near as done as yours, but still, looking cool

I like how you reused the hatch to open up. We just welded ours solid.

That's one ambitious ass ckufing project. That is so cool and you guys did a good job. Is it hard to weld that thin sheet metal?

Super job guys. I'm impressed especially with that timetable. How much trouble are you in? Sleeping on the couch now are you? Always listen to the little woman.....then do what you want. Easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

Great job man. I think I like that look better than the open rear...it's more practical for cold/wet weather use too. Not to mention, you completed a more daunting task than most with the way you kept the hatch. Good job!

TXRIVERRAT said:
Awesome work and I'm definately not bashing here, but if people ride in the back seat won't their heads be awful close to that back glass? Of course, that would be a great reason for me to tell them to just stay home!

ya I have not sat back there yet.. but the only reason I kept it enclosed was because I have a 1 month old that I hope to have on the trails in a few years so I wanted it to stay sealed.. and it will be a long time before he is tall enough to hit his head :)

all other adults can deal or walk..

NighthawkXJ said:
Look here
We did alot the same thing to a 2 door last week end here in kansas. Not near as done as yours, but still, looking cool

I like how you reused the hatch to open up. We just welded ours solid.

very cool build.. I like the that you attacked it in 1 day..

Mdub said:
That's one ambitious ass ckufing project. That is so cool and you guys did a good job. Is it hard to weld that thin sheet metal?

ya it could be a pain to weld sheet metal.

We have 2 welders to try and use, a flux core lincoln and a gas miller.

we found that .25 wire in the gas miller worked awesome.. had it truned way down and we could run beads with it on sheet metal.

for the 1/8 plate it worked well with .35 wire turned up a bunch more.

you just have to play with what ya got to make it work..

of course there was no way I was gonna bust out the 225 stick welder and try that :)

mikeforte said:
Super job guys. I'm impressed especially with that timetable. How much trouble are you in? Sleeping on the couch now are you? Always listen to the little woman.....then do what you want. Easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

thanks...

as for sleeping on the couch? Nope, when she got home she parked right next to it and did not even notice.. so the next morning I told her I had a surprise and took her outside and she was like :WHAT, WHY:

I smiled and said because.. she just shock her head and said I knew I should not have left you home alone..( but she does like it )

she knows that if I have an idea and I have the time, then 99% of the time I will try to make it..
I mean what is it donna hurt if it does not work.. just means more work to get it done..

"If you don't try you will never know"

glad to see, some else got brave, and chopped it, i guess im not alone no more, my wifey made the mistake, saying, do what ever you like to the old grocery getter, it was a winter project last year, came out awsome, 6in lift, chopped, sittin on 33s, offroad in the summer, to get to the best fishin holes, plow truck in the winter, and still is a DD every day with 280000 m. oh you did a great job on your, and it looks like we think alike some, wife thinks im still nuts, but she loves offroading in it too.
http://jeeperz.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?id=496&album=7488

xjcoupe said:
glad to see, some else got brave, and chopped it, i guess im not alone no more, my wifey made the mistake, saying, do what ever you like to the old grocery getter, it was a winter project last year, came out awsome, 6in lift, chopped, sittin on 33s, offroad in the summer, to get to the best fishin holes, plow truck in the winter, and still is a DD every day with 280000 m. oh you did a great job on your, and it looks like we think alike some, wife thinks im still nuts, but she loves offroading in it too.
http://jeeperz.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?id=496&album=7488

man that looks good..

do you have any bigger pics, when I click on the links they do not work.

Back