• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble Thread

What was the cause of your death wobble?

• Track Bar worn or loose

Votes: 75 29.9%
  • Bad Hubs

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Tie Rod ends warn or loose (either drag link or Tie Rod)

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • Warn Steering Box

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Alignment issues

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • Tire Ballance Problems or out of round tires.

Votes: 70 27.9%
  • Control Arm Bushings.

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • Steering stabilizer bad.

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • Other problem. (please explain)

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters
cracker said:
Not that I am, trolling but........

If your UCA are on the short side, then your castor would be BETTER and if you took those off and then placed longer UCAs on it your castor would be WORSE.

How could getting WORSE castor solve a death wobble issue?

Like I said I think the bushings were ok , and I doubt the pinion angle has anything to do with death wobble, so if its not the castor wtf would it be?

I put in longer uppers and it went away.

EVERYTHING MUST BE PERFECT!! COIL FRONT END NEEDS TO HAVE PERFECT GEOMETRY FOR HIGH AND LOW SPEEDS. UNDER AND OUT OF COMPRESSION.

:attom:

I WISH THERE WAS JUST ONE ANSWER FOR THIS.
BUT IT WILL MOST LIKELY BE A CMBINATION OF THINGS.

:attom:

cracker said:
But what do I know? I don't wheel :rolleyes:

Damn right you don't... friggin web wheeler.... :D

Mine was solved when I decided to get my alignment and get my tires balanced. Got em both done at the same time so I'm honestly not sure which caused it. My money is on the unbalanced tires. :)

Had death wobble twice...scared the crap out of me the first time and second time too.

Was fixed both times with new steering stabilizer.

But recently found my track bar at the frame mount had a "short" castle nut so it was never tightened down since I've own it...going on 12 years for my '89. But if it's the original track bar and castle nut it was never tightened from the beginning.

Johnny V said:
Had death wobble twice...scared the crap out of me the first time and second time too.

Was fixed both times with new steering stabilizer.

But recently found my track bar at the frame mount had a "short" castle nut so it was never tightened down since I've own it...going on 12 years for my '89. But if it's the original track bar and castle nut it was never tightened from the beginning.

You must understand the stabilizer is a bandaid right?

mdl said:

Glad you said that.

Since I have been commenting on a lot of the posts on this thread I figured I wouldn't touch that one.

mdl said:

Yes I totally understand! At the time of my death wobbles I really didn't have the space - Brooklyn apartment - to work on my Jeep, so I had shops "fix" it for me.

That track bar was probably toast for a long while, but the bandaid fix worked kinda, as there was no more death wobble. But I had odd tire wear and the steering wheel did not center over 55mph. That was a mistry for a long while, the stabilizer fixed the death wobble but masked the real problem!

1 - very loose trackbar
2 - buddy added spacers which threw off the already precipitous alignment
3 - adjustable RE arms at the wrong lengths all over - but the toe in was correct!
In 2 and 3, changing the lengths in one of the 5 links fixed the problem.

It is also interesting to note that even though I have had it twice, and for different reasons, the symptoms are identical. It just went into full convulsions again for the first time in over 2 years yesterday. New poly bushings and 2 year old steering stabilizer be damned.

Caster angle off and could not be brought into spec with stock control arms after lift. New longer than stock control arms and correction of caster fixed problem. To those considering lift kit without replacement control arms, this is why so many kits come with them, saves money and time in the long run.

I have 37" MTRs that are NOT BALANCED on 8" of lift and NO steering stabilizer and I can drive (though I shouldn't) 80mph. I don't have death wobble :dunno:

my rotors are warped...
and my ball joints might be bad but i was convinced otherwise when all the toyota guys told me i had burfeilds...

As you know, I had DW's of the worst kind before I got rid of my Teracrap track bar. Bad bushings and then after I broke it in Moab had wobbles real bad (even though it was a great trail fix) until I finally replaced it two weeks later. Since I put the JKS track bar on I have never had a hint of wobblies....what a relief!

Not enough O's in smooth to describe JKS track bars...:D

My '96 w/RE 4.5" lift - Bad control arm bushings were the cause (fixed when replaced with RE Adj CAs).

Our '92 (stock) - Feeling the beginnings of DW, have replaced all TRE's, track bar and steering shaft, helped, but still there. Ball joints are still unreplaced (original?), but work will cease, the vehicle was sideswiped on the street by Boulder trash and will be gone soon.

1st time stock trac-bar wore out with a 3.5'' lift, replaced with a HD TB and problem went away

2nd time HD TB bolt on the axle was loose. I wrenched it down and no problems since...2 years ago.

You just have to be vigilant with coils up front. I know dudes with Rubicons that had DW also...

Mine was tie rod ends that were worn out. I am sure something else will pop up later.

Back