• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clifford vs. Pacesetter??

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
After my Borla header problems and considering my 4.7 Stroker build I am looking at a new set of headers. I bought a pair of Banks Torque Tubes, but have decided against them after looking at the construction. I am now down to two: Pacesetter or Clifford Performance. Clifford Performance is going to be more custom than the Pacesetter since it does not have the "down-tube".

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/jeep.php

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/...de=CP&Product_Code=57-2015&Category_Code=J258

Does anyone have any input on these headers??

Let me know.

KJ
:flame:

Last edited:
What happened to the Borla? I love mine, but if I ever bought a different header, it'd be the Clifford(esp if it was for a 00-01).
One of our fellow users had a nice dual exhaust setup(well if he woulda taken it all the way back instead of 90*ing it before the rear wheel). Search clifford here and you should find it(don't wanna rile up people here by making them reminisce). Also, you might ask clifford if they have a downpipe/y-pipe that'll work for the earlier years.

Last edited:
My Borla?? Ahh...after blowing out the O2 bung and a crack at the Y after a few years of use, well....

Could just be with the '95 year. I do like that it is stainless, but blowing out the bung when 3 hours from home and looking forward to a big weekend??

Did you send it back to Borla? All headers are subject to cracking, esp if motor mounts are worn, but that o2 bung sounds like an mfg fault(I can't stand that they have it facing rearward instead of forward like stock--I melted the o2 wire and blew my pcm).

Worn motor mounts??Good observation. I have noticed mine, with the rubber inserts, are warn. Hmm.... But with the new engine I am replacing the motor mounts with polyurethane. Thanks for the heads up.

I just dropped my heep off today to have my paceshitter welded together. I screwed around with the clamps for hours and couldn't get it to seal, eventually it got all boogered up. Junk. Although the pictures on their website look like they've changed the way the downpipes go together, maybe they've fixed that problem.

I have a Clifford right now. I did have a PaceSetter. I didn't have any problems with the PaceSetter per say. I had one of the earlier units, 2000 or so. I heard their quality went down a bit after that. Mine had a single tube, and a muffler clamp, clamped on the down tube. The one in the picture shows two outlets. I think I had it for 3-4 years on my Comanche. The Armour coat held up well. There were some rust spots on a few of the corners. I sold it, and I don't know if it got used or not.
I can't give you a good reason why I chnaged to the Clifford. They did or do have a good rep. I can't say i see anything wrong with what I have. Mine is a dual outlet. I think they changed the design a bit after I purchased mine. I did get the Black Ceramic coat. I haven't run mine yet after all these years. There is a light surface rust on the black ceramic coat. I don't think a ceramic coating should rust. I don't think I have any rust on my Jet Coated header on another car. I had them Jet Coated around '94.
Tom

I wish Clifford still had the single outlet header. I have been running Clifford headers since 1969. My single outlet headers work great on my stroker. They came ceramic coated and I have zero rust in about 8 years. They were working on a dual to single output section for their existing headers that would wrap around and connect to the stock pipe path. Don't know if they ever finished.

Don't know about their quality since old man Clifford died a couple of years ago.

Back