• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add me to the list of broken skirts.

JeepXJFan

NAXJA Forum User
Shop found the remnants of #6 pistons skirt in my oil pan. Sounded like a tapping lifter at first that would come and go. One morning I started it up and it sounded terrible, kind of like a hammer hitting the back of the block. All this with only 115k on the odometer.

Since I have too much into jeep itself I opted to go with an ATK stroker long block. Should be up and running this week. I'll post what I think of it after I have it for a while.

http://high-performance-engines.com...?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATK&Product_Code=HP24

You're entitled to spend your money how you want, and it's probably already too late anyways, but unless there's damage to the cylinder wall and you don't want to re-sleeve, you can easily buy a new piston for $30 bucks and be up and running again. Or, take the opportunity just to stroke it yourself or at least just do a 4.0 rebuild.

My number 5 or 6 (can't remember) skirt did the same thing. I put in a new long block because frankly, I didn't know any better. I kick myself almost daily for not taking the opportunity to rebuild it as a stroker. It couldn't been done for way cheaper than what my replacement long block cost :doh:

I probably would have gone with a junkyard stocker for like $100-200, but hey, it could be worse, you could have bought a Titan turd. IIRC ATKs are pretty well respected builds.

(never, ever buy a motor from Titan)

Junkyard 4.0's are going between 650-1k out here. It would probably be high mileage and I don't want this to happen again. My motor spit the bottom half of the piston out, both sets of rings and a full sandwich bag full of piston. I would have had to do a full rebuild which would have taken a lot of time which is one thing that I don't have.

So far the ATK motor is in and doing fine. Also asked the shop to put it back together with the following. Gibson header that I wrapped, a 63mm throttle body and a ported horseshoe intake manifold. Ran lean at first the 803 neon injectors weren't enough. I swapped to 6 hole 24lb Ford Motorsports and all is well. Runs pretty healthy, not a race car by any means but has a ton of low end grunt. Just hope it lasts.

Last edited:
To those of you with broken skirts, what year was the engine and how many miles on it?

Back